Ruger LCR KaBoom

Guest SUNTZU

Guest SUNTZU

Ruger LCR Kaboom | The Firearm Blog

I was conducting a Concealed Carry Handgun class on 1 May 2010. There was a student training with a Ruger LCR that she stated had less than 100 rounds previously fired through it. She was using CCI Blazer 158 grain TMJ +P ammunition, and had fired approximately 25 rounds so far in the course without any cause for concern.

The student was in the middle of firing a two round engagement drill under my supervision; she fired one round then informed me that she thought her trigger was “stuckâ€. I took the firearm from her, assuming that she had possibly taken the cylinder out of battery, and attempted to put the cylinder back into battery. Upon looking, I noticed that part of the frame subassembly (the barrel sheath portion) was blown off, and the barrel split. I checked to see if the cylinder was stable, and the cylinder turned slightly in my hand before apparently being bound by the split barrel. I was able to clear the weapon, at which point we removed it from the firing line and inspected shooters for injuries. As there were no injuries resulting from this failure, we examined the firearm and replaced it on the firing line with one of my revolvers a S&W J Frame that performed flawlessly), so she could continue training.

In my opinion, this was most likely not a shooter or ammunition-induced failure. I checked the owner’s manual to ensure that this firearm was rated for +P ammunition, which it is. The cylinder and topstrap show no visible damage; neither does the right side of the firearm.

It appears that the chamber was not properly aligned with the bore when the round fired, and that the bullet struck the forcing cone out of alignment. The bullet most likely took the path of least resistance, leading to the catastrophic failure of the barrel and frame subassembly.

I have spoken with the VP of Ruger, as well as sending a letter to him concerning this failure; he seemed to be very interested and understanding of our concerns.

Picture at link. Comments so far have been interesting.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3

It looks like a crap barrel, too, but I don't like to push my equipment. Like doing Hypertech and octane booster/jet fuel in an ordinary 350 pick-up.

I have yet to buy into the plastic revolver concept. I want my wheel gun to be steel if it weights a little more, so be it. A light weight gun is only an advantage when you don't need it. I am wondering why she was using +P ammo instead of standard pressure 38 loads.

Edited by Will Carry
Guest Sgt. Joe

And now they are going to make that little thing in 357mag..?

I'll bet that VP is very interested, the last thing they need is a recall on something that has been so popular.

I was always leery of tiny little guns and bigger rounds anyway, I thought I really wanted the LCP until I saw how small it was and decided to pass on it.

I did end up with a P238 which is the same size but got it by way of a trade so I wasnt out much $$, and as small as it is, it does not feel uncomfortable to shoot.

I have shot the 38+ rounds with my SP-101 and just could not imagine shooting that round thru something as light as the LCR, but I do have nerve damage that effects my shooting side and I can see how a bigger person with bigger hands and such would not have a problem shooting the tiny little guns.

They (LCR's) are very popular, Ruger needs to figure this one out quick!

Guest mikedwood
It looks like a squib load to me. I've personally watched squib loads completely blow the barrel off of both an S&W 64 and a 642. Found both barrels down range in the bullet traps. Scary things.

Yeah just from looking at the picture that's what I was thinking. I'd imagine a Kaboom to affect the cylinder and not the barrel like that.

Is the barrel on those some kind of two part molded steel or a steel barrel with a plastic overlay.

Whatever the cause I have no desire to shoot +p rounds out of a gun that has much plastic on it. Even my Glocks.

Yeah just from looking at the picture that's what I was thinking. I'd imagine a Kaboom to affect the cylinder and not the barrel like that.

Is the barrel on those some kind of two part molded steel or a steel barrel with a plastic overlay.

Whatever the cause I have no desire to shoot +p rounds out of a gun that has much plastic on it. Even my Glocks.

The barrel is stainless steel. There is no plastic on the barrel area or cylinder. Here is a great picture that shows the different parts of the lcr.

The barrel half is all stainless. The grip part is all polymer.

Ruger_LCR_parts.JPG

Guest mikedwood
Better stay away from those Smiths as well.

mike82-albums-off-topic-fotos-page-2-picture2837-a.jpg

Ouch. I think I will stick with my Security Sixes (using 357) and Taurus ultra light in 9mm (without +p)

My point is that you shouldn't discount the LCR because ONE story came out about a problem. EVERY model of gun ever made is bound to have had a few that were problems. And the LCR has been out for a while and this is the first issue I have heard of. I just don't see a major cause for concern about the weapon just because of this ONE story. If thirty more pop up, I'll change my mind but until then, people are just jumping off the deep end for no reason.

I'm still not scarred to carry and shoot my LCR, since its purchase at G&L I have had 200 flawless factory loads, and 40 winchester bonded +p loads out the barrel with no issues or anything and I honestly will continue to shoot it without fear. if you havent shot these things your missing out. the grips have gell and cushion rubber, and the trigger is absolutely smooth and crisp. I love mine! weighed on work scale....1.01 pounds fully loaded!

From revolver smith Grant Cunningham:

I lean toward the timing theory because of my own observations. I've not yet been able to take an LCR apart, but I have handled quite a few. In this admittedly small sample I've noticed that the gun's timing is later than normal, meaning that the cylinder locks up very close to the point that the sear releases. Since I've not been on the inside of the gun I can't tell whether it's a design or assembly error, but it stands in stark contrast to the way Rugers usually time...

...With such a radical new design it's always prudent to proceed cautiously. My recommendation to those considering an LCR is to buy it in person, and check the timing before completing the transaction.

As others have said, I defer to the experts - meanwhile, I still want one!
Another reason I don't bother with +P rounds.

This one probably wasn't about pressure. I would like to see the firing pin strike on the cartridge. Couldn't have been too far out of battery.

Think I'll stick with S&W (as I always have) if I want a wheel gun.