9mm revolver

bayouvol

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had two 905s and a Ruger Speed Six in 9mm. The Taurus revolvers were not that good long term. The moonclips are flimsy and the extraction can quickly become difficult. Stick with 38+P and you will be a happier shooter. The Ruger Speed Six is another story but if you want hard hitting revolvers just stay with .357 or the 38+P. I have a friend who has several .327 magnums and they are very interesting

I honestly can't think of a reason why I'd want a 9mm when you could have a .38spl +P+ in the same form factor.

cheaper to shoot maybe the only reason. I wouldn't want to carry one tho.. reloading could be a nightmare and a matter of life and death. I had a 905 and sold it after about 200 rounds. case extraction is a pain...

I don't think rimless revolvers will ever catch on..

Guest Jamie
I honestly can't think of a reason why I'd want a 9mm when you could have a .38spl +P+ in the same form factor.

The simple answer is that 9mm is more efficient from a short barrel than either the .38 or .357. The powders used tend to be faster burning, and the velocity doesn't suffer as much with the 9mm from a snubbie as it does with the other two calibers.

9mm is also generally cheaper, which doesn't hurt at all.

With all the interest I've seen people show in revolvers that can fire auto rounds lately, I'm surprised S&W or Ruger hasn't brought back their 9mm models, and maybe added .40 S&W just for good measure.

J.

Guest mikedwood

I love my 905. Love it. It doesn't like blazer ammo other than that its great.

I love the moon clips too. Much faster than speed loaders and they hold up in my pocket fully loaded fine.

OhShoot, I have one of those, its alot cheaper to 9mm than 38s or 357s. as said by others and pretty darn accurate too. I am going today to pick up my Ruger conv. in 45lc/45acp. Like you said though got to have a big pocket if you are going to carry it that way.

I had a Ruger Speed Six in 9mm. It was a dream to shoot. The moonclips for the ruger and the tools to "declip" casings worked well.

The moonclips for the 905s I had were flimsy and if carried in the pocket even jacket pockets got bent and the rounds fell out. Heck the rounds would fall out without much effort from the carried moonclip. Otherwise the 905 shoots just fine and like one poster said the 9mm is efficient out of a short barrelled gun.

However, they make .38s for short barrelled guns too, as well as a wide variety of loads. A few cylinders full of 9mm out of the 905 usually worked well, however at some point extraction would bind up in both guns. Never had that issue with the Ruger Speed Six in 9mm. Just my experiences owning 2 905s and the Ruger. If you want a pocket carry cannon the Keltec PF9 would be better than the 905 IMHO. I've had two of those also.

With all the interest I've seen people show in revolvers that can fire auto rounds lately, I'm surprised S&W or Ruger hasn't brought back their 9mm models, and maybe added .40 S&W just for good measure.

They would if there was a market for them. But they are a novelty. When you can have a small revolver that shoots .38 and .357Mag; there is no need for 9mm or .40.

These small carry revolvers aren’t range guns; most users don’t shoot them enough for the cost of ammo to be a big factor.

My Tupperware guns are .40S&W and I think it’s a great round. But they would be traded off in a second if someone made a .357mag semi auto round that wasn’t necked like the .357Sig.

I had a Smith 940 for a while, loved it.

Advantages... 9mm ammo is cheaper, more options, commonality with my other pistols, more powerful from a short barrel than the hottest .38spl. Basically, I can have a revolver without adding another caliber to keep stock of.

Disadvantages... after several boxes of ammo casings will stick in the chambers, the moon-clips can be a pain to load/unload.

I want another one... but make it a 625. The 940 was bulkier/heavier/lower capacity than any other 9mm pocket pistol. But the 625 would make a good range/combat revolver.

Guest Dean Wormer

I know that Smith & Wesson used to make one (fullsize) that didn't require the use of a moon clip, it had a specially designed extractor.

Guest Jamie
When you can have a small revolver that shoots .38 and .357Mag; there is no need for 9mm or .40.

If you're gonna use that as an argument, then how do you explain the .327 Fed. Mag? :crazy:

J.

Guest Jamie
I know that Smith & Wesson used to make one (fullsize) that didn't require the use of a moon clip, it had a specially designed extractor.

Yeah, I've seen one'a those. The extractor looked like somebody had tucked a slightly curved 1911 extractor down each chamber of the cylinder. When you hit the ejector rod, 6 "fingers" slid up out of the cylinder and popped the cases out.

Cant remember the model, but it had to be both complicated and expensive just to make that cylinder and extractor.

J.

S&W 547 SMITH WESSON 9MM ORIGINAL IN BOX I TRADE! : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Has some really good pics of the extractor near the bottom of the page.

The 9mm wheel gun seems to be popular this week. There has been a thread on every major gun forum I am a member of.

As for need of a 9mm snub nose. A need could be that you don't want to stock different ammo. Like all you have is 9mm 5.56 22lr 308 and 12 gauge.

Guest mikedwood
As for need of a 9mm snub nose. A need could be that you don't want to stock different ammo. Like all you have is 9mm 5.56 22lr 308 and 12 gauge.

That's why I got the 905. It's intent was actually for a BUG. I figured if the bug ammo matched the main ammo that would be a good thing.