Solicitation at house

A buddy was over today and we were working on his GTO. In between the car I was cleaning an AR-15 and a Mosin 91/30 in the garage. My kids yell down to the garage, “Dad there is a guy at the doorâ€. I walk around and ask him how I can help him. The first thing out of his mouth is, “you guys are really hard to get a hold ofâ€. I’m thinking no *****, that’s by design.

He proceeds to tell me about all this stuff for my kid’s school that my wife would like (?) and I tell him, “no thanks, I’m busy at the moment.†He tries to hand it to me and I said, “no I’m in the middle of something, you keep that.†He says, “well I was talking to your neighbor Karen…â€

I said, “no thanks, I’m busy†for the 3rd time. He get’s the picture and speeds off. I told my wife about this later and we agreed it would have been pretty funny had he come around to the garage just minutes before.

This happened to me once before 2 years ago w/ a guy selling school stuff but he knew my kids names. Call me paranoid but when a complete stranger blurts out my kids names on the front lawn, you are 5 seconds away form a serious problem.

What the hell is with people nowadays??? Soliciting on what should be a holiday for most.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Had a kid come by my apartment trying to sell magazines last week. Did everything I could short of telling him to get bent, it took him a while to get the message. Twice he asked if he could step inside to talk, and twice I said nope. The kid seemed legit but I'm too paranoid to let my guard down. After he left I even checked the outside of my door to see if he left a mark or anything to signal anybody else. Can't be too careful this day and age.

Guest 6.8 AR

Ah, the information people now have. Mailing lists, cookies, digital

theft, etc. You name it. There are so many ways one can find out

about others. Privacy is unheard of, nowadays.

Guest Lester Weevils

So if you were cleaning the gun, it might be inappropriate to open the front door on a salesman or missionary with the AR in hand? :D

What about young men coming to pick up the daughter for a date?

I have a Red No Soliciting sign at my door. Keeps most away.

However, that won't slow down a Jehovah witness. They will tell you that does not apply to them as they are not selling anything and the only signs that apply to them are No Trespassing.

I know my beliefs, and I have stood out side and had some long talks with different Church Groups and Jehovah Witness'. At this point, If I happen to be outside when they show up and I am someone forced to interact with them I politely tell them they need not be concerned with me and they should spend they time else where.

I have a Red No Soliciting sign at my door. Keeps most away.

However, that won't slow down a Jehovah witness. They will tell you that does not apply to them as they are not selling anything and the only signs that apply to them are No Trespassing....

This works most of the time at my complex, 'cept for some of the particularly stupid thumpers. The Mormon kids get it.

nothumpers.gif

- OS

Easy to get rid of JW's.

You tell them firmly to put you on their "Do not do" list.

Only time you will be bothered after that is when new or members from another congregation comes prospecting.

You tell them you are on that list and they go away.

Ex wife was one ... know more about them than I care to admit.

I know that pitch. He was a Southwestern book salesmen. Knowing kids names or neighbors names is something they picked up from one of you other neighbors. It isn't hard. My brother and SIL were their top sales people and recruiting teams. They actually have good stuff, that is very helpful, but with all the other crap out there it's hard to know which is which. Working for the Southwestern company is like boot camp for life! They have to go as far away from home as possible and have to find their own housing, food, manage their own sales, deliveries, ect. They don't work they don't eat. They work hard and are legit. Usually they will have something that says SW or Southwestern on them. If you can identify them be kind. They are just college kids trying to make a go of it. Of course being a jerk is a life lesson as well. :D

So if you were cleaning the gun, it might be inappropriate to open the front door on a salesman or missionary with the AR in hand? ;)

I've done that a time or two, the reaction is kinda fun to watch. I even let a vacuum salesman in the house once. I was cleaning a few guns on the kitchen table. I said ..."go ahead with your sales pitch while I finish up here...". He shook like a leaf for a few minutes, but I'll give him credit for making it all the way through his talk. The conversation ended with me telling him.... "look, if I'm going to spend that much on something that sucks, it's d_mn sure going to suck more than my carpet." :)

The JW's came to my driveway gate one spring morning when I was working on a Grand Marquis that was buried to the rear axle in my back yard.

I don't remember what I told them, but it worked forever. ;)

Guest Jamie
The JW's came to my driveway gate one spring morning when I was working on a Grand Marquis that was buried to the rear axle in my back yard.

I don't remember what I told them, but it worked forever. ;)

I don't have any trouble out'a those folks anymore... at least not since asking them why they were bringing me written material when they obviously couldn't read. :D

Two out of the three had walked past a "no trespassing" sign before I came out to "greet" them. I guess the 3rd could read, but the other two didn't believe the sign applied to them when he told 'em what it said.

The big revolver I had in my hand as I leaned on/over the porch rail might'a helped convince them it did..... :)

J.

Several years ago I was sitting outside on my front porch at dusk inspecting a S&W .357 revolver my dad had given me. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something white, only to find a rather skinny young black man dressed in a white shirt, black necktie and black pants walking up the driveway toward me. He had gotten halfway to the house from the road (about 100 ft) before I saw him. When he saw that I was aware of him, he threw up his hand and waved, and began talking to me in a loud voice. I stood up and let him see the revolver in my hand, and he stopped dead in his tracks. I told him to state his business, and he began saying something rather incoherent and unintelligible. I told him that it would probably be in his best interest to turn around and peddle whatever he was selling elsewhere. He took my advice without hesitation.

I had a nice young woman drop by my place Saturday morning with similar knowledge of neighbors and their professions (we have three or four teachers near by). I politely told her we didnt need anything that we stay on top of it.

Many years ago I lived with a girl who, after hearing me complain about "another dang solicitor", asked me point-blank: "Why do you even open the door to people you don't know?"

I didn't have a rational answer for her (just habit I guess) and I just don't open the door to strangers anymore. That takes care of the problem for me. ;)

Guest Jamie

"Why do you even open the door to people you don't know?"

'Cause I wanna know who I might have to shoot... or at least have a good description to give to the police if something happens.

J.

another easy way to keep JW away in 3 easy steps

1) trace an outline of a body in white chalk on your sidewalk or grass with paint.

2) scatter a few of their pamphlets around said outline

3) watch their faces and laugh

Guest Caveman
I know that pitch. He was a Southwestern book salesmen. Knowing kids names or neighbors names is something they picked up from one of you other neighbors. It isn't hard. My brother and SIL were their top sales people and recruiting teams. They actually have good stuff, that is very helpful, but with all the other crap out there it's hard to know which is which. Working for the Southwestern company is like boot camp for life! They have to go as far away from home as possible and have to find their own housing, food, manage their own sales, deliveries, ect. They don't work they don't eat. They work hard and are legit. Usually they will have something that says SW or Southwestern on them. If you can identify them be kind. They are just college kids trying to make a go of it. Of course being a jerk is a life lesson as well. ;)

I suppose since you have family in this business your perception is different, but I do not agree with you. I don't care if these are supposed college kids "just trying to make a go of it." I will not tolerate anyone pumping my neighbors for information about my family and myself, then coming onto my property and trying to use said information as a sales tactic to get me to buy something I neither want nor need. If I need something I will go to a store and buy it. The same goes for the bible thumpers, don't come to my door and try to force your religion on me. The whole situation is intrusive, disrespectful and inconsiderate.

in the near 8 years we have been in my home I have had people come down our driveway twice.

Once I happened to be driving in from work and I slowed and told them to get the Hell off of my land, they turned and left.

The other I heard the dog making a commotion and I came up from the basement to find two of them about 30 yards or so from the house. I went out on the porch and yelled ( not very nicely ) that the road was thataway (pointing in direction they came from) and they needed to go to it. They hesitated and I yelled again, they left.

I hate people coming back to my house. It is part of why I live way off the road, helps keep the riff raff away, but it sucks when I see the ice cream truck go up the street and can't get to it in time.

Guest db99wj
in the near 8 years we have been in my home I have had people come down our driveway twice.

Once I happened to be driving in from work and I slowed and told them to get the Hell off of my land, they turned and left.

The other I heard the dog making a commotion and I came up from the basement to find two of them about 30 yards or so from the house. I went out on the porch and yelled ( not very nicely ) that the road was thataway (pointing in direction they came from) and they needed to go to it. They hesitated and I yelled again, they left.

I hate people coming back to my house. It is part of why I live way off the road, helps keep the riff raff away, but it sucks when I see the ice cream truck go up the street and can't get to it in time.

You need to get a faster hoverround.

We have folks from time to time, but not in awhile. The last JW that came by, I pulled out MY Catholic Bible and went to the verse he was trying to show me. I countered his question or statement with what my Bible said. He left his pamphlet and left saying he would come back in a week or so. That was late last year. The latest was the ATT guy that was selling the new Fiber U-verse stuff. I got his card, I might call him back. But any other "salesmen" of vacuums, magazines, whatevers need to go away...quickly.

It's been about 8-10 years since I've seen a single JW. My last house was in a very rural area where there were only about 3 houses on the whole road. I was standing on the back deck one morning after a long night of partying, completely naked, smoking a cigarette, and drinking what was left of a 40oz Bud Ice. I'm not sure if they went to my front door first, or what made them think it was ok to come around to my back deck, but that particular JW woman and her little boy got quite a surprise to see me standing there like that. I've moved since, but I've yet to have a single JW come to my new house either. Makes me wonder if they put me on a list of people that definately isn't interested in becoming a JW.

I suppose since you have family in this business your perception is different, but I do not agree with you. I don't care if these are supposed college kids "just trying to make a go of it." I will not tolerate anyone pumping my neighbors for information about my family and myself, then coming onto my property and trying to use said information as a sales tactic to get me to buy something I neither want nor need. If I need something I will go to a store and buy it. The same goes for the bible thumpers, don't come to my door and try to force your religion on me. The whole situation is intrusive, disrespectful and inconsiderate.

I don't think I would be very happy with my neighbors for giving out personal information either.

Guest Caveman
I don't think I would be very happy with my neighbors for giving out personal information either.

I was thinking the same thing, I would be having a nice little chat with the neighbors at that point. Luckily for me I live in an area with lots of property and few houses. I only have 2 neighbors, and although we are friendly to one another, we all keep to ourselves.