The small-ish .45 concept...

Steelharp

Educate me; why does it seem the small-ish .45 concept seems to be on track in South America where manufacturing consistency seems questionable? The Bersa Thunder, Taurus PT 145... what does it appear that America/Europe tries to go too small (Kahr, G36) to make a controllable, comfortable, concealable .45? Or am I just missing something obvious?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would imagine they are filling a void by offering smaller concealable pistols for those of us that feel a need to carry one on a daily basis.I know I sure wouldnt carry around a full size 1911 for a real long time without whining a lot.

Can't really answer your question. Are you talking this small?

20100719214344.jpg

This is my Kimber Ultra Raptor II, which is what I carry everyday. I fell in love with it when I saw it. When I went to the range, it was a different story. Being so small and light it is rather it is a lot harder to control versus my full size 1911s. I haven't decided yet, but I may be looking to trade this one in for a stainless 4 - 4.25 inch model. Then again, perhaps I just need to take the lace out of my panties and learn to shoot it properly.

I guess I need to be a little clearer. The Bersa and Taurus (to me) are easily controllable; they compare to a 9mm in recoil. BUT, the South American manufacturing seems to be hit and miss. Why can't an American/European maker get it together, and build a reliable .45 along those lines? (I say that, because it seems the most reliable manufacturers are American/European.)

I guess I need to be a little clearer. The Bersa and Taurus (to me) are easily controllable; they compare to a 9mm in recoil. BUT, the South American manufacturing seems to be hit and miss. Why can't an American/European maker get it together, and build a reliable .45 along those lines? (I say that, because it seems the most reliable manufacturers are American/European.)

Assuming you don't want a small 1911, is the Glock .45 slim (dunno the number) or the XD .45 compact all that much bigger than the Bersa/Taurus?

It's mostly the grip that's the prob to conceal, and both of these address that.

- OS

That is a good question Steelharp. There is the AMC back-up in 45acp but it's kind of an old design and never seemed to be popular. I have never known anyone who owns one. The Colt Defender and Agent are small. The Sig 220 and the Kimber Ultra-Carry are small. But all of those pistols are expensive. You are correct in that no company north of the equator seems to make an affordable sub-compact 45acp.

Whenever I go over to Fuquay Gun & Gold I drool all over the glass counter looking at the Colt Defender they have on sale. I just can't justify buying it right now. He's the same bastard that sold me the Diamondback 380.

Whenever I go over to Fuquay Gun & Gold I drool all over the glass counter looking at the Colt Defender they have on sale. I just can't justify buying it right now. He's the same bastard that sold me the Diamondback 380.

:)

"Small" is relative. This Bersa is the same size as a Glock 19. IMO, I think that's optimum carry size. Why can't SIG, Beretta, Colt, Ruger, etc. come up with a .45 like that? It would no doubt be more reliable than what seems to come out of the South American manufacturers. (Not a 1911 platform, either. I think the DA/SA is the best carry option, again, for me.)

I own a Glock 36. Put a Crimson Trace laser gaurd on it and bought a +1 extension for one of the magazine. The only thing painful about it is the orginal magazine is a pinky pincher. It doesn't hurt much but is the only painful thing about it. It has never failed to fire and is accurate. It is an amazing pistol and I carry it often. With the +1 mag. extension it looks a lot like the Glock 19 and it eliminates the pinky thing. I don't consider it to be that small or at least not small like the AMT backup.

Edited by Will Carry
OS, to me, the Glock 36 (slim) is too small and painful. Haven't seen an XD Compact; but the XD's I've had just didn't do well for me.

The XD45 Compact is my carry gun about 80% of the time. Never had a failure in about 800 rounds. Well, there was one FTE when I let a buddy shoot it, but he was limp wristing it. In my hands it has never failed to go bang. Nice mag options included too. 10rnd for compact grip and a 13 round with an extension.

I actually like the G36 but I haven't had the opportunity to shoot one.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

Guest Seraph
Seraph...........if that is your pistol, I'm quite jealous.......That pistol really strikes me!

Appreciate it, friend, and I like it too, but it's just a 1977 Colt Govt. Model, with a set of ironwood grips made by a buddy of mine, out in Arizona. I put in a 10-8 trigger, and an Ed Brown flat MSH, and call it good... for now. It's laser accurate, and eats 230gr FMJ's and 230gr Golden Saber HP's with indifference.

Steelharp - I understand the thumb safety thing, objectively, and I've heard it from a few friends, but it always surprises me to hear it from someone who's carried a 1911 a lot. For my own part, I find the thumb safety to be second nature.

I have a Kimber Ultra Carry Tactical and a Kahr PM45 - both obviously on the expensive side, but I find both easy to carry, conceal, and shoot. (The Kimber is a little easier to shoot, and the Kahr is a little easier to conceal.)

I think the lower round-count of these weapons is offset by the power of the cartridge - I feel better carrying a .45.

Educate me; why does it seem the small-ish .45 concept seems to be on track in South America where manufacturing consistency seems questionable? The Bersa Thunder, Taurus PT 145... what does it appear that America/Europe tries to go too small (Kahr, G36) to make a controllable, comfortable, concealable .45? Or am I just missing something obvious?

I only look at compacts and sub compacts when considering a fire arm......full size hand guns IMO are for Duty use

as a civilian I have that freedom......The smaller the gun the more I like it....Duty/Service people are issued a firearm

and usually its a big ole clunker .... No thx man,I like my guns concealable no matter what size slug it fires

I have several compact 45's S&W, sig,detonics ,etc. The CS45 is the smallest no issues IMHO super pistol. The SIG P 245 as well but not american. The detonics (american ) has good rep. but honestly I've never fired ( in safe) I also have S&W 457.along with H&K, bersa american arms. The compact 3rd gen smiths I guess never caught on but from I've read were good budget priced weapons and still a pretty good value today.

Edited by laktrash