Steel targets..the most fun I've had shooting

The other night I helped my neighbor put together this target stand. We used hooks so we can re-arrange or flip the targets when needed, and used pins on top of the two side posts for the top rail just to slip down onto for easy transportation and set up. The targets are 6", 8", and 1' square with the silhouette being 12"x18" with 6"x6" head.

The next morning we sent some shots down range. It was the first time I have shot at steel targets and it was a blast compared to paper. I practiced firing quickly, transitioning from different targets, and drawing from the holster and acquiring a target. Can't wait to go shoot some more.

0730102211.jpg

0730102225.jpg

0731101243.jpg

0731101252.jpg

The feet are some conduit (he's an electrical contractor) he had laying around. We took a hammer and beat it flat in the center and curved them some. I think we are going to either make the feet bigger, or add some diagonal supports front and back because we did have it fall over once, hence the rocks piled on the feet.

Guest jackdm3

He can just slip on some longer pipe the next size up over the back feet. The front feet won't need it unless you rapid fire it enough to make them swing.

Guest Lester Weevils

Dumb question-- What precautions do you have to take with steel targets to eliminate ricochet risk? It just seems that even if you don't have to worry about rounds coming back at the shooter, other shooters on a wide range might get blowback? Or rounds bouncing over the backing berm to who knows where?

I realize it must be relatively safe or people wouldn't shoot steel so much. Just curious if there are standard precautions.

Guest jackdm3

I had thought about that today. Maybe chains connected to a ring that's welded to the back of each plate. Each chain would only allow rearward motion and when the plate comes back to rest, it wouldn't be allowed to swing forward to pitch boolits back and perhaps over your head.

Angling them down and adding a swing limiter is great idea. Inhad to do this with mine after I caught a 308 ricochet to the ribs a while back.

Cool stuff. Be prepared to replace some hardware. I had some friends out and got my target stands all shot up. I still havent got everything welded back together.

Dumb question-- What precautions do you have to take with steel targets to eliminate ricochet risk? It just seems that even if you don't have to worry about rounds coming back at the shooter

I realize it must be relatively safe or people wouldn't shoot steel so much. Just curious if there are standard precautions.

Ask OhShoot about precautions :bs:

Ask OhShoot about precautions smile.png

Yep, I'm kinda skittish of them now, unless a good distance away. Even then, need some care.

How far away are you guys shooting those things?

They really need to be angled backward a tad. The resetting .22 one I was using when I got zapped, the steel disks do angles back a little, but I think I got the rebound from the steel framework.

Mike.357 brings PlateZilla, even at 120 yards, he's careful to set a couple of rebars in front so that plate leans forward, to drive bullets downward into ground.

I'm sure most everyone has seen the famous .50BMG episode at 100 yards on steel?

The return hits the ground first, likely a very lucky thing.

- OS

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

The steel he used is 3/8" thick and we don't shoot any closer than 15 yds out. This target stand was also built for handgun use only. From my observations the most dangerous place is in the same plane as the targets. When the bullets hit the steel the copper jackets just flatten out and fall straight down, but the lead bullet fractures into really small pieces and go in outward directions off the plate. The 4x4's we used for the frame are all splintered with lead, you can't run your finger across them, and after shooting, the ground under the targets look just like the ground off the edge of a house with no gutter, there is a straight line across with dimples in the dirt where the lead hits.

The steel he used is 3/8" thick and we don't shoot any closer than 15 yds out. This target stand was also built for handgun use only....

I was shooting .22 pistol at at 16-18 yards on one of these:

sm_gallery_expert_22_resetting_target.jpg

I think it might have hit the metal frame, but don't really know.

Just know that instantly zapped me in middle of forehead, actually gonna have a tiny scar as memento.

Could have been Bad in the eye without glasses.

- OS

One thing we tried to avoid with our design was using metal tubing horizontally because a glazing bullet could be sent right up over our berm. That stinks OS about getting hit and having a scar. I hope we don't experience any of that, but we do use safety glasses as well. That little thing you posted looks fun with a 22, but there are a lot of various angles on that which could send a bullet astray.

• 5 years later...

I was shooting .22 pistol at at 16-18 yards on one of these:

sm_gallery_expert_22_resetting_target.jp

I think it might have hit the metal frame, but don't really know.
Just know that instantly zapped me in middle of forehead, actually gonna have a tiny scar as memento.
Could have been Bad in the eye without glasses.

- OS

Wow, just reading this older post.  Now we know what happened to you ;)

Seriously, you were lucky, could have been much worse. 

Blowing the dust off this one.  Where can one find some of these steel targets reasonably priced?  If I had a plasma cutter or a good metal bandsaw, I would make myself.  I like to build a setup like on post #1.

I get mine from shootsteel.com

I ordered from here when I could not find any locally at a better price: https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?mc_cid=5d7ad4ca19&mc_eid=7625641d4a 

First time I've seen that site. I like their gongs. I think I'll order a couple. I've been wanting to make a small steel range for a while. I love shooting steel at 3gun, and I thought about ordering some knock overs like I encounter there for practice. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261049184707?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT