Time for a 1911 (45), educate me please

Guest motonut

Guest motonut

The last time I regularly used a 45 was in the Navy, a few decades ago. I'm now in the market to add a 1911 to the arsenal. I don't want a 5" bbl., I would rather have a 4 - 4.25" bbl firearm. I'm not picky as far as finish color, SS, 2-tone or Black are fine as long as the gun looks good in that finish (subjective I know).

So far my choices seem to be:

S&W SW1911PD (108283) 4.25"

S&W SW1911 (108310) 4.25"

Springfield PX9115LP 4"

Springfield PX9142LP 4"

Kimber Pro Carry II 4"

Kimber Pro CDP

Sig 19GS0014 4.25"

Who in the Nashville area would have most of these guns? Franklin Gun Shop (only been there once)? Any tips or advice?

Edit: after a trip to Guns and Leather I'm now sold on the 5". Updated post on pg. 3.

Edited by motonut
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are going to be carrying it I would suggest something that is a bit corrosion resistant. Stainless steel or one of the many great coatings out there. I would avoid something blued with nothing covering it. The body can give off a lot of moisture and can cause problems if you don't stay on top of it.

I have carried full size 1911's and currently carry a Colt Compact when I don't feel like carrying the 24/7 I recently bought. 1911's, even the full size ones, carry well as long as the weight doesn't bother you. They seme to tuck really well relative to their size.

Dolomite

Guest JHatmaker

Franklin Gun as a very decent selection of 1911's, but their prices are on the higher side.

Guns and Leather would be another good choice, have some of the best prices in the area.

And if you ever make it over near Winchester, Hero-Gear has a very nice selection and prices to match.

Another place I love to go is Guns for America (just off Powell Ave in the 100 Oaks area), but they usually don't carry too many 1911's unless they get one on a trade. But if you're in the area I'd check them out. Great folks to deal with.

Good luck with your hunt, post some pictures once you decide on one.

Edited by JHatmaker
Guest motonut

I'm not looking for a carry firearm but thanks for the info on those issues.

I've had a little experience with S&W 1911's but I don't think I've even held a Kimber, what is the opinion on the Kimber's?

Edited by motonut

I've had a little experience with S&W 1911's but I don't think I've even held a Kimber, what is the opinion on the Kimber's?

I would go with a Springfield before a Kimber, Since you are not wanting to carry it why not buy a 5 inch Government model? if I were you I would buy a Springfield TRP in my opinion that is the best production firearm made.

Guest eyescream
I would go with a Springfield before a Kimber, Since you are not wanting to carry it why not buy a 5 inch Government model? if I were you I would buy a Springfield TRP in my opinion that is the best production firearm made.

+1. The quality of the firearm notwithstanding, Springfield's customer service is legendary.

I have Dan Wesson CBOB's in ,45 and 10mm. They are worth taking a look at. But I also have Springfields.

I am not to keen on Kimbers. The two I have had were problems. a CDP and a Full Size.

Moto,

Watch out they are addictive and they breed like crazy, One day you will have one the next day five. :panic:

Edited by R1100R
Guest motonut
I have Dan Wesson CBOB's in ,45 and 10mm. They are worth taking a look at. But I also have Springfields.

I am not to keen on Kimbers. The two I have had were problems. a CDP and a Full Size.

Moto,

Watch out they are addictive and they breed like crazy, One day you will have one the next day five. :panic:

Per the (CZ) Dan Wesson site a lot of the DW models have been discontinued in 2010.

CZ-USA -> Product Categories

If I could unload a couple of pieces of the wife's jewelry I could afford 5 1911's, and the ammo to go with them......

Moto,

What he said. They are absolutely addictive. They're also the one gun I have the most trouble selling or trading. I'm a big fan of the Dan Wessons and have a CBOB in .45 (wish I'd gotten the 10mm too) and a CCO, along with a Colt Gold Cup and a Springfield Loaded. The next one will be an Ed Brown Special Forces or Kobra unless I come across a good deal on a 10mm Wesson.

I have owned many 1911’s. My last full size Kimber was a Custom TLE II. When I bought my S&W SW1911 Stainless Target; I sold the Kimber. They were about the same in accuracy and craftsmanship, I didn’t care for the finish on the Kimber. I’ve just carried S&W’s most of my life and they have always taken care of me if I had a question or problem. Therefore they get my business.

My last compact Kimber was an SIS Ultra that was pretty cool but I just felt I had too much money in it for a 3†1911. So I sold it and bought two new handguns.:)

I’m curious as to why you would want a 4†if you aren’t carrying it?

I certainly would not pass on a good deal on a Kimber, but I’d prefer a Smith & Wesson. No matter what I buy it has to be made here by Americans; so that rules a few of them out.

Guest motonut
I have owned many 1911’s. My last full size Kimber was a Custom TLE II. When I bought my S&W SW1911 Stainless Target; I sold the Kimber. They were about the same in accuracy and craftsmanship, I didn’t care for the finish on the Kimber. I’ve just carried S&W’s most of my life and they have always taken care of me if I had a question or problem. Therefore they get my business.

My last compact Kimber was an SIS Ultra that was pretty cool but I just felt I had too much money in it for a 3” 1911. So I sold it and bought two new handguns.:)

I’m curious as to why you would want a 4” if you aren’t carrying it?

I certainly would not pass on a good deal on a Kimber, but I’d prefer a Smith & Wesson. No matter what I buy it has to be made here by Americans; so that rules a few of them out.

Valid question. I have med. size hands and I just like the 4" size. I have both S&W 686 & 659, both of which are 4" and I am comfortable with them. Naturally because most of my guns are S&W and I've had very good service from them that's the direction I'll most likely lean. However, if another brand/length trips my trigger I'll be flexible.

Here's something worth reading about why you may want to reconsider going smaller than a 5" (although seems the 4"-4.25" Commanders aren't nearly as bad as the smaller ones):http://grayguns.com/physics-and-short-45-caliber-pistols-a-discussion/

FWIW, I put 100rds through what was quite possibly the dirtiest, beat-on, and neglected 1911 I'd ever come across, it was a range rental base-model SW1911 (at the S&W Shooting Center in Springfield, MA no less, you'd think they'd maintain them there if anywhere...) and it ran like a champ even while disgusting and bone-dry, delivered Quarter-sized one-hole groups at 10 yards with little effort (so much fouling on it that the whole front sight was caked over, so much so that I didn't bother shooting it out any further).

The external extractors don't look so bad to me anymore, and after looking into them I like their unique design feature that has their grip-safeties lifting their firing pin blocks rather than having part of the trigger-pull doing it.

I have the 5' model, but I am sure you will be very pleased with the 4.25 Commander size variant. I think that the external extractor is an excellent feature to have on a 1911. ( I think that Sig is the only other mfg that makes a 1911 with it.) Nearly every other auto-pistol in the world has an external extractor. I think it contributes to reliability, the external location allows the extractor to be larger and grip more of the cartridge rim.

The swartz type safety (activated off of the grip) works fine. I removed mine however. The little arm in the grip frame that moves to disengage the FP safety had a habit of sticking up when the gun was disassembled for cleaning. I would have to hold it down with a small, thin screwdriver to put the slide back on to the frame. I will probably replace my firing pin with a titanium one at some point. On that note, you may be aware that S&W does offer a 1911 with no swartz safety, the TFP model. I don't know if it comes in the barrel length that you are seeking.

I have owned both Colt and Springfield and they are excellent pistols. However, I like the features that make the S&W unique. Accuracy and quality are equal to or better than the others. If you go with S&W, you won't be disappointed.

I have the 5' model, but I am sure you will be very pleased with the 4.25 Commander size variant. I think that the external extractor is an excellent feature to have on a 1911. ( I think that Sig is the only other mfg that makes a 1911 with it.) Nearly every other auto-pistol in the world has an external extractor. I think it contributes to reliability, the external location allows the extractor to be larger and grip more of the cartridge rim.

The swartz type safety (activated off of the grip) works fine. I removed mine however. The little arm in the grip frame that moves to disengage the FP safety had a habit of sticking up when the gun was disassembled for cleaning. I would have to hold it down with a small, thin screwdriver to put the slide back on to the frame. I will probably replace my firing pin with a titanium one at some point. On that note, you may be aware that S&W does offer a 1911 with no swartz safety, the TFP model. I don't know if it comes in the barrel length that you are seeking.

I have owned both Colt and Springfield and they are excellent pistols. However, I like the features that make the S&W unique. Accuracy and quality are equal to or better than the others. If you go with S&W, you won't be disappointed.

Dang! That thing must be a pain to hold! is it in .45 or or something larger to be a 5 foot model?