Need advice on EDC folder

Because I'm a noob to the knife thing, I thought I'd ask here for recommendations on an EDC folder.

I do own a few knives and have developed at least a cursory preference on a few things:

1. My first purchase was a Gerber aluminum Presto 3.5" w/ serrated blade. An inexpensive option. Knife has performed well enough, but I find it too bulky for EDC.

2. I gave my two sons each a Benchmade 585SBK mini Barrage for Christmas last year. With a blade length just under 3" and a closed length of 4", it's very easy to carry. This is one of their Blue series knives and made in the USA. A bigger knife may be better, but I'm less likely to actually carry it based on previous experience.

3. My buddy gave me a new SOG Trident TR-1 as part of a trade that I sold here recently. It appeared to be a good knife, but because it was similar in size to the Gerber I felt it was a bit too big for my EDC preference.

I'm interested in your thoughts, but do have a few specific questions too:

1. It seems that most of you prefer non-serrated fine edges for EDC. Why is that? It seems to me that serrated in both a versatility and survival situation would be beneficial?

2. I'd like the recommended knife to be versatile. Meaning, I'd like to balance the self-defense and daily versatility for EDC with a knife that will also perform in a survival situation should SHTF.

I'd prefer to stay at a price point less than $200 if possible.

Thanks in advance for your input. I'm looking forward to reading your responses.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest truthsayer

I carry a Kershaw Blur every day. I like serrated blades for things like sawing through rope and such. I wouldn't be worried about having to use this knife for much of anything.

My dress pants folder is a SOG Aegis Amazon.com: SOG Specialty Knives & Tools AE-01 Aegis Knife, Satin: Home Improvement

I've never cut anything with it but you can get your Sunday morning shave and I like it.

If you're lookin for easy on the wallet and tough as nails so to speak, my work/pry bar knife is a Ontario Knife Rat 1. Amazon.com: Ontario Knife Ontario Rat Series, Folding Knife with 3.25" Satin Stainless Steel Blade, & Black Nylon Handle, Overall Length 8.620".: Sports & Outdoors For 30 bucks you'll only find more expensive knives not better. Personally if I want serrations I want them on the whole blade. Combo blades don't give the best of both blades they just give you two half blades.

I have carried smaller knives then this in the past but they always end up just not getting the job done. The only reason I carry this small is TN law.

Smaller knives I would consider SOG Flash, Gerber Covert(would already have one if they didn't have serrations), it's a bit bigger but I like the Kershaw Packrat as well.

Joe W.

The only serrated blades that I own are Spyderco knives that I use offshore, as at times I cut a bunch of rope, other than that I have no need for them a Zero Tolerance 300 series in my opinion is the best made knife in your price range, they can be bought for $190.00

But if you want a smaller one, go for the 0350 for $112.00

http://www.botachtactical.com/ke03mablfowi.html

Edited by willis68

I like the Wal-Mart Kershaws, they are priced great for the quality and are light enough to carry everyday. I also like straight or non-serrated blades, serrations have their place such as cutting tubing and hose and other items but are not good for everything and are very hard to sharpen.

• Admin Team

I'm going to go with JeffL and endorse the Spyderco ParaMilitary Plain Edge as well. I usually carry a full sized Military, but it might be too big for your liking. The ParaMilitary is s30V steel, holds a great edge, is fast to deploy and the G10 scales are remarkably grippy.

I guess I'm getting old, but I just don't care for all these tacticool knives I see people carrying these days. If I feel the need to carry a lock blade I carry a little Kershaw Scallion, but mostly I am carrying a Camillous Lineman's pocket knife these days. The little Camillous does just about all I need a pocket folder to do.

If I were going to purchase a new pocket knife today, I'd get a German Army One Handed Trekker made by Victorinox (think Swiss Army Knife, but green) Or a One Handed Trekker with a non serrated blade.

I also wouldn't pay more than $60 for a knife. $60 will buy you plenty if just about any kind of knife you might want. Just my 2 cents though.

Thanks for responding everyone.

Ok, I'll admit I'm a geek. I created a spreadsheet to compare everything from blade steel to clip position while researching each of your recommendations. I narrowed my choice down to two knives: 1) Zero Tolerance 0350 and 2) Spyderco Paramilitary. The S30V blade steel was a big decision factor for me. However, since I couldn't decide between the two, I ordered both!

Did I mention my access to this forum is going to get me divorced?:up:

I was able to pick up the ZT for $112 and the Spyderdo for $140 at the knifecenter with free shipping.

Thanks again for your input. I'll let you know what I think once they arrive.

• Admin Team

Ok, I'll admit I'm a geek. I created a spreadsheet to compare everything from blade steel to clip position while researching each of your recommendations. I narrowed my choice down to two knives: 1) Zero Tolerance 0350 and 2) Spyderco Paramilitary. The S30V blade steel was a big decision factor for me. However, since I couldn't decide between the two, I ordered both!

I was able to pick up the ZT for $112 and the Spyderdo for $140 at the knifecenter with free shipping.

Two great knives! You'll be happy with both.

At least you'll probably be able to keep your knives in the divorce. :D

Both are excellent choices, you will love them, congrats!

Two great knives! You'll be happy with both.

At least you'll probably be able to keep your knives in the divorce. :D

Ya. That and the 1,450 rounds of 45 ACP I've purchased in the last two months despite not owning a 45 ACP...:up: I keep telling her it's only to soften the blow of buying the 1911 AND the ammo at the same time. Let's just say she isn't quite seeing things my way.

I carry a Spyderco police most days. That being said, it has two drawbacks. The blade is slightly over 4 inches, if you get caught by a LEO you may have a problem. Second, the handle is stainless, so if your hands are wet, its a bit hard to get a grip on. That being said, its made with excellent VG-10 steel, and is very thin, making it carry very easy. There are much better tactical / everyday carry knives out there, but we all bond with a certain one. :poop:

I would suggest looking into the Cold Steel Recon (and AK-47) series, they are exactly 4 inches, have very good G10 handles that you can get a grip on in pretty much any situation. Best of all the lockup on those knives is incredible, its just like a fixed blade. The only thing I do not like about Cold Steel knives is the aggressive G10 handles that give you such a good grip also interfere with your pocket clip. Instead of smoothing out the area under the clip, Cold Steel leaves it textured, making it very difficult to get on and off your pocket. If you get any of their G10 knives, be prepared to sand down that area. Just make sure you wear a good quality respirator, as G10 is fiberglass.

As for serrated, it just depends. I have some tactical knives that are fully serrated just for the intimidation factor, and they will mess someone up if you have to (or yourself, if they get the knife from you). But for general EDC, serrations can be difficult to sharpen, and if you are needing to make a smooth straight cut in something, serrations wont do it.

I'd also suggest while in your knife searching quest, look for a knife with a full flat grind. Full flat cuts through pretty much anything with ease, and looks very good. If you have the option in the blade, I would go for VG-10 steel over AUS-8. VG-10 has very good edge retention and corrosion resistance, probably my favorite steel.

Edited by kpricheson
I carry a Spyderco police most days. That being said, it has two drawbacks. The blade is slightly over 4 inches, if you get caught by a LEO you may have a problem. Second, the handle is stainless, so if your hands are wet, its a bit hard to get a grip on. That being said, its made with excellent VG-10 steel, and is very thin, making it carry very easy. There are much better tactical / everyday carry knives out there, but we all bond with a certain one. :biglol:

I would suggest looking into the Cold Steel Recon (and AK-47) series, they are exactly 4 inches, have very good G10 handles that you can get a grip on in pretty much any situation. Best of all the lockup on those knives is incredible, its just like a fixed blade. The only thing I do not like about Cold Steel knives is the aggressive G10 handles that give you such a good grip also interfere with your pocket clip. Instead of smoothing out the area under the clip, Cold Steel leaves it textured, making it very difficult to get on and off your pocket. If you get any of their G10 knives, be prepared to sand down that area. Just make sure you wear a good quality respirator, as G10 is fiberglass.

As for serrated, it just depends. I have some tactical knives that are fully serrated just for the intimidation factor, and they will mess someone up if you have to (or yourself, if they get the knife from you). But for general EDC, serrations can be difficult to sharpen, and if you are needing to make a smooth straight cut in something, serrations wont do it.

I'd also suggest while in your knife searching quest, look for a knife with a full flat grind. Full flat cuts through pretty much anything with ease, and looks very good. If you have the option in the blade, I would go for VG-10 steel over AUS-8. VG-10 has very good edge retention and corrosion resistance, probably my favorite steel.

I would suggest that you carry something else, I own several autos, Balisongs and knives with longer than a four inch blade but do not and will not carry them. It is not worth the risk of losing your handgun permit just because you like a knife, while I think they are very, very stupid I DO abide by the knife carry laws at all times :)

I would suggest that you carry something else, I own several autos, Balisongs and knives with longer than a four inch blade but do not and will not carry them. It is not worth the risk of losing your handgun permit just because you like a knife, while I think they are very, very stupid I DO abide by the knife carry laws at all times ;)

Totally concur.

- OS

I would suggest that you carry something else, I own several autos, Balisongs and knives with longer than a four inch blade but do not and will not carry them. It is not worth the risk of losing your handgun permit just because you like a knife, while I think they are very, very stupid I DO abide by the knife carry laws at all times ;)

I have been planning on it, I just haven't got around to picking one up. Planning on getting a Spyderco Endura Wave over the weekend, looks like an awesome knife. :D

Guest mustangdave

for an EDC knife I have a K-Bar TDI...small and compact with a nice sharp "business end"...also have a generic multi-tool with a separate loc-blade knife