S&W M&P

A.J. Holst

I have the urge to sell my P95 and upgrade to a CZ85. This is based on shooting my buddy's 75 - what an awesome handgun.

Another buddy is on an American-made crusade and suggested I consider the S&W.

I am familiar with the CZ through association, but don't know anyone who has an M&P for a first hand review / report. Any M&P owners out there?

Thanks!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me second all of the above, M&P's are great guns. I have seen rough triggers on new ones, these smooth out at about 200 to 300 rounds. Ergonomics are top notch, everything is ambidextrous, and the grips are easy to change to make the gun fit your hand. Reliability is engineered in with the huge extractor and ejection port the size of a barn door. The choices are all yours when it comes to caliber, barrel length and manual safety. It is a gun that you can "have your way" to quote Burger King. This gun equals the performance of Glock, but with better ergonomics and styling, (admittedly, just my opinion). I love mine and highly recommend it to anyone who is in the market for a modern, poly framed, striker fired pistol.

I was never a big Tupperware fan until these came out, I have had four M&P’s and have two now. I was excited when I had an all American made choice. Superb fit and finish, 15 rounds of .40S&W in the full size and 10 in the compact, good accuracy, changeable grip size, backed by the industry leaders in Customer Service, what’s not to like?

I've owned 3 M&P's and put thousands of rounds downrange through them, they're good pistols.

That said, after owning and shooting both, they don't have anything on a CZ IMO except for being lighter. You can buy Apex stuff for the M&P's triggers or have a Burwell-style trigger job done on them but they still won't even be in the same neighborhood as a nice CZ.

A CZ with a trigger job will break like a top-shelf 1911 and they're about as accurate as the nicer one's too. Also, in my experience, a CZ is a more reliable gun, I know a lot of guys may not believe that but I've had 4 broken strikers over 3 guns with the M&P, my CZ and any other I've seen or shot have never malf'd in my presence, they just run (lots of Internet stuff out there about problems with ejectors, etc., but in reality anything that pops up can be dealt with cheaply and easily). CZ's do sometimes eat trigger-springs if you dry-fire DA thousands of times and guys break slide-stops after 7-10k rounds, but they're considered a "consumable" like changing a recoil-spring.

The long and short of it IMO is that a CZ is just a far easier gun to shoot well and represents maybe a better value as while they're "service pistols" with a little work they'll give match-grade guns a run for their money. FWIW, I'd go with a safety-model over the decocker-models, easier to do trigger work and you essentially have a cocked n' locked single-action gun with second-strike capability or hammer-down DA first shot like a Sig.

I have an M&P 9 Pro and an SP01. They are both far more accurate than I am, and both have been utterly reliable. I would say you can't go wrong either way.

Mac

Yeah +1... They're different, try to shoot 'em both.

I have an M&P9 with Apex duty carry parts and a CZ75 P01. You can't beat the way a CZ feels in your hand, but I prefer shooting the M&P. At least one other person made the same observation with my pistols. Had little or nothing to do with triggers.

Edited by mikegideon
had a Strelism