Help me test out the possible replacement for vBulletin... TGO Test Forum

TGO David

Your thoughts on the new software...  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Your thoughts on the new software...

• I like the new software.
    • I don't care for the new software.
    • I like the new appearance of the forum.
    • I don't care for the new appearance of the forum.
    • I like the way it looks on my mobile device.

• Administrator

In a recent announcement I told you all that I was looking at alternative software for the forum so that I could move away from the buggy and bloated vBulletin 4. While I've been on vacation the past week, I have spent some time in the early mornings doing some R&D on various software packages. I even did a test conversion from one of our database backups so that I could see how the process flows.

I have come to a point with the conversion now that I would like for you all to at least take a look at it and tell me what you think. Before I give you the links to the test installation, here are some key points to remember:

• The database backup that I used is about 2-3 weeks old.

• If you have registered with us in the past week or so, your account will not exist on the test forum. You will have to browse as a guest.

• You cannot register as a new member on the test forum. Registration is closed there. You will have to browse as a guest.

• If you changed your password in the past week or so, you will find that your old password works over there. Not the new one.

• Absolutely nothing that you post over there will translate back to this site. It is all for R&D purposes.

With that said, point your browser to TNGunOwners.com and let me know what you think. I am trying to go for a cleaner look to the site, so what you see is a start for how I am designing the appearance.

If you are using a mobile phone to check TGO now, be sure to try it on the test site as well. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. :D

Feedback is welcome in this thread. In fact, I need it. I will be attaching a poll momentarily to capture some of your feedback as well. Thanks!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
I like seeing the first line or two when the cursor is put on the forum subject, rather then having to click on it.

I have never had a problem with the present format.

Thanks for all of your work on this site David!

There is a preview feature on the new software as well. Plus, I can add a feature to it that has the same hover-over preview as we have here.

I agree with Farman. I like seeing a preview of the first line or so when I hover over a thread and didn't see that in the test forum.

I like the addition of the "Recent Topics Added" and "Watched Content" on the side. I use the "What's New" button on this forum a lot and didn't find that on the test forum. I suppose the recent topics area would be a similar function.

Thanks for your efforts in keeping this place THE place.

I appreciate your request for input about a software change. I've seen improvements

every time you end up changing something, with the exception of the 'wringing out

time', and I'm sure that's normal. This "site" is a class act. Thank you, Dave.

Honestly, I liked the look and layout, but it won't really matter to me that much.

What's more important, I think is your ability to maintain control and integrity

in the software and cost.

The way TGO is right now is (IMO) one of the best forums I have ever seen or been a member of. I think you should be proud of the layout and content. The only problems I have experienced are loss of service, which I assume is your provider and not the software.

Having said that I think the new software you are showing us is kinda cheesy and looks like a step backwards from what we have.

Of course I always get nervous when you make these changes for fear that you will decide to go for the hard to read, nasty, “Tactical Black†that many gun forums choose. :D

Guest tnxdshooter
The way TGO is right now is (IMO) one of the best forums I have ever seen or been a member of. I think you should be proud of the layout and content. The only problems I have experienced are loss of service, which I assume is your provider and not the software.

Having said that I think the new software you are showing us is kinda cheesy and looks like a step backwards from what we have.

Of course I always get nervous when you make these changes for fear that you will decide to go for the hard to read, nasty, “Tactical Black” that many gun forums choose. :D

+ 5million I felt the exact same thing thus I voted against the new site.

Guest tnxdshooter
+ 5million I felt the exact same thing thus I voted against the new site.

I thought cheesy cheesy as all hell when I looked at it. Not sure why just looks primitive and very basic I guess.

Guest strelcevina

It looks and runs great on my HTC Evo. Running Android 2.2

I will go again to test it more .

I don't like to use tapatalk , I love to utilise a 4.3 inch screen and view a full-size browser

I don't have a preference either way. I find both sites pretty user friendly compared to other forums. I do hope I'm only seeing part of the new test program, however, because a lot of the features here aren't there; or at least i can't find them. All the sections aren't there, and neither is the PM part of the program.

Guest strelcevina

I did few tests . So far perfect .

Here I wasn't able to attach smiles , over in new forum it works just like on laptop ,,

Only I wasn't able to scroll down to see all smiles

David, if the new software is easier / better for you, then I'm good with it. To echo some of the other replies, I like to use the "new posts" icon, and I like to see where folks are from; these two items would be my only suggestions.

I'm here for the content, but I also want to thank you for the quality and presentation of this site. Appreciate the site, and appreciate you for all the work and effort.

• Administrator

The button for new posts is labeled View New Content and is located on the upper right of the forum landing page. This is indicative of the sort of things we would all have to learn if I switch to IP.Board as there are these little nuances that take some getting used to.

As for prettying it up, I'm all for it and will continue to evolve the look and feel on the R&D installation to get to a point where most of us like what we see. TGO as it sits right now is a little heavy on the graphics, IMO. I try to keep things minimalistic while providing a pleasant site to look at. Give me some ideas on what you'd rather see changed over on the test installation and I'll do my best.

Looks good to me.

At very least, it seems to have all the right buttons and knobs. :D

I did notice that all the usual forums were there, 'til I logged in, then it was reduced to just a few. I'm assuming that was due to the temporary/test nature of the installation?

Guest Mad4rcn

I agree it looks a bit cheap,as far as the graphics,that's all part of the allure to me.Just makes the viewing more entertaining.The new software makes the site look like Opencarry.org....

Actually. Opencarry.org uses this.