A rifle I would love to own some day.

K191145

Russian SVD Draganov Sniper Rifle.

It chambers the old 7.62x54R, pretty equal to the 7.62 NATO/.308. Surplus ammo is pretty cheap but you can order decent quality hunting ammo for it. I think it's limited to a 10 round mag capacity, semi-auto only. It would be a rifle that would have to be ordered im sure, never seen one at any gun show. From what I have read and heard they are very reliable also and accurate. I couldn't afford one right now but it's been on my fantacy wish list for a long time. You can say what you want about the Ruskies but they make some cool looking firearms. IMO, this is one of the coolest looking rifles i've seen.

SVDDaganov.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. It is one of the most horrid looking contraptions I've ever seen. I do hope you get one if you really like it however.

Me, personally, I can appreciate most any type of rifle. However, it's hard to beat good wood and a slick action on a nice bolt gun.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. It is one of the most horrid looking contraptions I've ever seen. I do hope you get one if you really like it however.

It is ugly. But it's kind of sexy because of it. I would at least like to shoot one some day. Not sure if I would pick it over, say, a SOCOM II, which is also an sexy gun in its own ugly way. But it is one of those guns that has some history to it and would be fun regardless of its "Ugly Betty" looks.

They're cool rifles but they are no longer importable into the USA for political reasons.

The best way to find one is to watch the gun auction boards and network in the milsurp collector communities. Start saving your money now. You can buy a good used Acura for what one of these puppies is going to cost you.

If you can afford the price of a Russian manufactured SVD then get that one...if you can find one for sale. KBI imported about 100 of these military SVD's from Russia so it may take time to find one offered for sale. By the way, these qualify as Curio & Relics. As shooters, both are equally accurate. The differences are mainly cosmetic. The Chinese rifles are usually painted with a high gloss black paint that easily chips, plus the metal surfaces are a little rougher in appearance. Also the Chinese NDM's have a slightly different receiver cover. The Russian SVD's have a flat black coating that is extremely durable. The quality of the metal is very good on either rifle.

Here in the USA, you can expect values to be broken down like this:

Russian SVD: $5500 - $9000 depending on condition and accessories.

Russian Tiger carbine: $2800 - $3500 also depending on condition and accessories (add $1000 to price if California Armory version).

Chinese NDM-86: $3800 - $4800 if in 7.62x54 and $3500 - $4400 if 7.62x51. Add a premium if in deluxe velvet case.

If you come across a Russian SVD in rough condition or missing parts it is very likely something that has been brought back from a war zone. If there is no US importer info marked anywhere on the receiver that is a big clue. Some people have said there is no legal way for a soldier to "bring back" a weapon from a war zone anymore. So possession of one of these rifles could be considered in violation of federal law.

The importation of these fine rifles was banned under a summary agreement between the USA and the Russian Federation. In negotiating the treaty the State Department, along with the BATF found that along with several other Russian firearms the importation would be a violation of 5 U.S.C. 808(2), and for reasons of the foreign policy of the United States, "...notice and public procedure under 5 U.S.C. 801 are unnecessary, impracticable, and contrary to the public interest."

That's probably hogwash, but then no one ever accused the BATF of being honest. Thus, the supply is fixed and the demand keeps rising. That makes the prices go up. Hopefully, some enterprising American will begin making replicas for sale.

BTW - the Romaks, PSLs and M76s are not even the same operating system. Basically, these guns are just stretched out AKs.

Edited by Mike
They're cool rifles but they are no longer importable into the USA for political reasons.

The best way to find one is to watch the gun auction boards and network in the milsurp collector communities. Start saving your money now. You can buy a good used Acura for what one of these puppies is going to cost you.

If you can afford the price of a Russian manufactured SVD then get that one...if you can find one for sale. KBI imported about 100 of these military SVD's from Russia so it may take time to find one offered for sale. By the way, these qualify as Curio & Relics. As shooters, both are equally accurate. The differences are mainly cosmetic. The Chinese rifles are usually painted with a high gloss black paint that easily chips, plus the metal surfaces are a little rougher in appearance. Also the Chinese NDM's have a slightly different receiver cover. The Russian SVD's have a flat black coating that is extremely durable. The quality of the metal is very good on either rifle.

Here in the USA, you can expect values to be broken down like this:

Russian SVD: $5500 - $9000 depending on condition and accessories.

Russian Tiger carbine: $2800 - $3500 also depending on condition and accessories (add $1000 to price if California Armory version).

Chinese NDM-86: $3800 - $4800 if in 7.62x54 and $3500 - $4400 if 7.62x51. Add a premium if in deluxe velvet case.

If you come across a Russian SVD in rough condition or missing parts it is very likely something that has been brought back from a war zone. If there is no US importer info marked anywhere on the receiver that is a big clue. Some people have said there is no legal way for a soldier to "bring back" a weapon from a war zone anymore. So possession of one of these rifles could be considered in violation of federal law.

The importation of these fine rifles was banned under a summary agreement between the USA and the Russian Federation. In negotiating the treaty the State Department, along with the BATF found that along with several other Russian firearms the importation would be a violation of 5 U.S.C. 808(2), and for reasons of the foreign policy of the United States, "...notice and public procedure under 5 U.S.C. 801 are unnecessary, impracticable, and contrary to the public interest."

That's probably hogwash, but then no one ever accused the BATF of being honest. Thus, the supply is fixed and the demand keeps rising. That makes the prices go up. Hopefully, some enterprising American will begin making replicas for sale.

BTW - the Romaks, PSLs and M76s are not even the same operating system. Basically, these guns are just stretched out AKs.

Oh man I am sick reading this. I haven't priced these in years. I had a Russian SVD with a case and Night optics. I paid nothing like these prices. Jeeesh I wish I had it back now so I could sell it again. LOL.

Guest buttonhook
Oh man I am sick reading this. I haven't priced these in years. I had a Russian SVD with a case and Night optics. I paid nothing like these prices. Jeeesh I wish I had it back now so I could sell it again. LOL.

me too....I bought it at wynn's right before they went under for $850.....sold it to my roommate the next year for $1000 wish I had it now

Mike is right about SVD/Dragunov. They will cost you dearly and are very rare. The PSL is similar in appearance but significantly different than the SVD internally yet many people (including gun stores and online retailers:rolleyes:) call them Dragunovs. There is even a PSL version in 8mm and occasionally you will find one in .308. Very cool rifles.