Ruger LCR vs S&W 442 for CCW?

Guest Lathe guy

Guest Lathe guy

I'm thinking about getting a pocket revolver and I'd like to hear people's opinions on the Ruger LCR and S&W 442. Those of you who have handled/owned both, which would you prefer for CCW?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it would depend. If you can get a 442/642 pre-lock then I would without a doubt go that route. The S&W is a bit smaller package, and has been around for quite a while. Many people hate on the triggers. I expect they have only ever snapped them in passing while at the local gunshop. A good bit of dry-firing, a quick trigger job, cleaning, lubrication, and you have one smooth trigger. You can lighten it a bit by switching out the rebound spring and you have yourself a nice, and reliable pistol.

However, since the addition of the internal lock to pretty much every newly produced revolver, I will not touch them, especially in a revolver meant for carry. While the odds of it seizing up on you when you need your gun the most are very remote, why risk it? A revolver is built to work. You have five shots, guaranteed. The last thing I want is some variable thrown into it that may screw it up when TSHTF.

That being said, if you cannot find a pre-lock version, or are not really interested, then both guns are excellent. Personally, I would still go Smith because the 442/642 design is time tested. However, the LCR is lighter (and slightly larger), and out of the box has a better trigger. Kinda apples to apples. Get to a range and try them for yourself.

One more thing to note, if you have a problem with the internal lock on either, the Smith has an advantage. The keyhole is located on the frame and is easily accessible. Ruger located theirs under the grip. Just for your consideration.

Edited by kpricheson

I really like the LCR, but at heart I'm a S&W revolver guy and like the J frame's. With that out of the way I'll cast my vote for the 442 and point out that it's pretty darn easy to improve the trigger feel and weight on these wheel gun's without affecting the reliability.

Like everyone has said, the LCR has a better trigger out of the box. The J-Frame's trigger will smooth up with dry firing.

When I bought my pre-lock 642 the LCR wasn't on the market so I didn't have a choice at that time. If I was in the market for one now like you are, I would still get the 442/642 but that's me.

It's hard to describe but the LCR just doesn't do anything for me like the Smith does. I think it goes back to my opinion that "steel" is a tool that has a soul, "plastic" is just a tool.

If you have seen the LCR with the side of the barrel blowout,it would may your choice for you. I am sure it was a indexing problem with the barrel on the LCR but i have not seen a failure with a S&W to compare with complete failure.

Either one is going to suit you well for a CC gun. Yes, the trigger is noticeably smoother and lighter on the LCR...but given the purpose the gun was built for, I think the trigger aspect is moot. Smith triggers can always be gunsmithed to smooth it out and lighten it if it really bothers you. That of course, adds cost. The J's have a long track record. That being said the LCR's seem to be getting quite popular. I don't really think you can go wrong wither way. The only thing Id say I've noticed is that the hogue grip on the LCR...while comfortable, likes to catch and hang up a shirt easier due to its softer rubber. But that may not be an issue for you...YMMV

Don’t waste your time with a trigger job on a J frame. You can smooth them out a little but you will never get the trigger pull you can achieve on a K or L frame. You probably will end up with a J-frame that won’t fire when you need it. The heavy trigger pull is by design, if you don’t like it go with the Ruger if it feels better.

These are both belly guns, not range or target guns. I haven’t shot the Ruger, but Ruger makes great guns.

If I was picking a gun that size it would be an S&W Pre-Lock Model 60. Stainless steel in .357Mag….better get them while you can.

I just got the LCR in .357 and it is such a sweet little gun. Ive put about 25 rounds through it and the trigger is something to be talked about. The recoil when firing the 357 rounds is really mild with the Hogue Tamer grips. Id say with the Crimson Trace or the Boot grip you might feel a little more but the overall design of the gun really helps with taming the recoil. I have a Tagua inside the waistband holster and it carries really comfortable. Ive wore it around the house a little.... since I dont have my CCW yet. I will be attending a course soon and will be carrying this revolver with full confidence. 2 thumbs up!!! Best little shortie Ive ever held/fired!!!

• Administrator

However, since the addition of the internal lock to pretty much every newly produced revolver, I will not touch them, especially in a revolver meant for carry. While the odds of it seizing up on you when you need your gun the most are very remote, why risk it? A revolver is built to work. You have five shots, guaranteed. The last thing I want is some variable thrown into it that may screw it up when TSHTF.

You can remove the lock entirely using basic hand tools and about 20 minutes of your own time. :(

Guest Lathe guy

Thanks for all your replies.

I went ahead and purchased the LCR with the Hogue Tamer grips.

F.Y.I. Here in Phoenix they are selling for 420.00

p.s. the trigger does feel nice.

Guest The Highlander

Good choice.

I've had a 342 Ti since they came out. Maybe around 2000? Don't remember. It is a very easily carried revolver, and I imagine the LCR is as well. I would not trade mine for anything, and since I already have it, the need for a centennial style revolver is well-filled. However, I have handled LCR's in the gunshop, and I'll sooner or later end up getting one. I like Rugers very much, and these are neat guns.

I picked up my LCR a few days ago. It has the Tamer grips with night sigts for $399. I didn't realize it was a consignment piece until I asked why it was such a sweet deal. Looks great and taking it to the range Sunday. It will be the wife's carry piece.