Why do your do your own reloading?

For a while now, I've been thinking about doing my own reloading.

I could see it as a real benefit should ammunition or a particular caliber/type of ammo become scarce, out of production ,etc.

I suspect there may be some savings ($$$) possible.

I also suspect there would be some general satisfaction/feeling of accomplishment in loading your own ammo.

That said, I'm not sure if it's something I should pursue or not and I'm wondering why YOU load your own? Are their real benefits (tangible or otherwise) or is it something you've just done because you've almost always done it?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mr_b8908

People do it so that they will have access to calibers that are uncommon or no longer made, price savings, and handloaded ammo is ttypically more accurate (if you know what your doing). With that said I'd like to start reloading myself, but I just dont know where to start...

You two already listed most of my reasons for reloading.

Regarding your comment about saving money, technically that's true compared to factory costs round for round, but most will tell you that you don't save money...you just get to shoot much more for the same $. Sometimes you end up spending more. :blush:

Been doing it for about 25 years on the same RCBS equipment. Go ahead and take the plunge.

Edited by Trekbike

I enjoy it, and you do save anywhere from a little to a lot depending on what rounds you are shooting. I'm just getting back into it with 9mm, not a lot of savings there but without trying hard you can save two to four bucks a box over wally worlds cheapest bottom of the line stuff. The big thing is you end up with better ammo for 2-4 buck less.

Joe W.

Well, I don't shoot anything close to 1,000 per week (I don't even have time to go to a range and get that much shooting in with only a week to do it!)...I've never figured it out but I probably only average 100-200 rounds per month in handgun calibers and maybe another 100-200 for skeet shooting in season.

Almost all of my shooting is either 12ga for skeet or .45 ACP with some 10 MM, 357 SIG and .38 thrown in so maybe I'd see some cost savings (as well as have the ability to load .357 SIG and 10MM should they ever become hard to get).

This is sort of a long-term thing for me...something I'm thinking about getting into sometime this upcoming year. :)

Guest Lester Weevils

The initial motivation was cost, and it is still a consideration.

The second motivation is that it is almost always more accurate than factory ammo, if you take much care at all. I am not mechanically inclined and did not believe my ammo would be well made enough to be more accurate than an assembly line, until I discovered it was actually true even in my thumb-fingered case.

Another motivation is that if you shoot some stiff-recoil pistolas such as .357, you can load practice ammo that doesn't have as much recoil as what you can typically buy off the shelf. Even cheap factory .357 typically has some decent recoil and velocity. On the other hand, there are minimum published loads, and unless you go below the minimum published load, a .357 will have more recoil than many smaller calibers. You can probably go below the minimums, but I never do, figuring there is probably a reason for the minimums.

If you shoot pistol ammo in rifles, such as .357 lever gun or 9mm rifle or whatever, you can CAREFULLY load stronger ammo that might not necessarily be safe or pleasant in a pistol, but is desirable in a rifle. The rifle is often less likely to blow up or have recoil that hurts yer hand, but OTOH you can't load something strong enough to risk blowing hell out of the case either.

I do it for all the reasons stated above; obsolete chamberings, lack of ammo availibility, price, and the ability to tailor a load to a specific handgun. I can load a plinking 44 mag load, as well as a full bore hotrod JHP load that hit at the same point of impact. You likely can't but both of those at your local gun shop. I can load pointed bullets for my single shot 30-30. Most of all, however, the reason I handload is that it is an enjoyable hobby. I can go into my basement and tinker all day at my loading bench when the weather is bad. It keeps me out of my wife's hair. A reloaded round of ammo is a bit less expensive than a factory round, but I can't say I save any money doing it, because I shoot more than I would if I didn't reload.

I started because apparently I had waaayyyy too much money laying around and needed yet another way to get rid of it...

What I told the wife was that I would save money... And probably, eventually I will. A big part was the great ammo shortage. Eventually I will have a lot stocked up and I will have even more components for future shortages.

But, it is fun and keeps me out of my wife's hair when I'm home.

I started back reloading partly for the hobby end of it and secondly for the savings.I can put together 100 rounds of target ammo in .357 caliber thats pretty mild shooting and savings is quite a bit over factory ammo.Also reload for the .41 mag which if I could only shoot factory ammo would put me in the poor house in one range trip.I can put together 100 rounds for about $17.00,and cant even find target ammo for .41 mag.The last box of Remington Factory was $57.95 for 50 rounds,and thats if you can find it anywhere.

If all you shoot is 9mm or 38spl it isn't really worth it but anything else then it starts to make more sense just try finding 11mm mauser at your walmart or 30cal carbine, 8mm mauser, 303 brit get the idea. Plus if you hunt you can produce more accurate ammo for your rifle.

If all you shoot is 9mm or 38spl it isn't really worth it

I can load 50 rounds of 9mm for about $5.00 using lead bullets, .38 special for the same. Seeing how the cheapest walmart 9mm is around $12.00 / 50 and .38 special is around $14.00 /50 I don't see how anyone can say you don't save money. As I don't shoot every week, I don't tend to shoot more with reloads as most people say they do. Quess its all in how you reload and how you buy your components as to whether or not you save money.

People do it so that they will have access to calibers that are uncommon or no longer made, price savings, and handloaded ammo is ttypically more accurate (if you know what your doing). With that said I'd like to start reloading myself, but I just dont know where to start...

The best way to start reloading, is find a good reloading manual and read it. Then you will have an idea what equipment and supplies are needed.

Edited by tnhawk

Reason #1- I just really like reloading. I enjoy everything about the process.

Reason #2- Quality. Ex: My heavy-barreled .308 was shooting 3/4" groups at 100 yards with high-end factory ammo, not bad at all. My first batch of reloads using match quality bullets, I was getting 1/2" groups consistently, with a best group of just under 3/8". And that's without any load development.

Reason #3- Savings. I can load every caliber I have cheaper than I can buy factory ammo. The savings range from small for 9mm to significant for match quality large rifle. The savings that can be had for big magnums, even common ones like 7mm Rem.Mag. and .300 Win.Mag., are VERY significant.

Edited by USMCJG

I have to say, I'm a bit surprised at the number of folks (actually, I think everyone who has responded!) who say that they get more accurate ammo/better groups, etc. from loading their own than using even high-end factory ammo...it would seem unlikely given the amount of development, etc that companies like Hornnady and Winchester put into their ammo and (I would assume at least) quality control during the manufacturing process.

Don't misunderstand, it's not that I don't believe the statements...it just surprises me! :D

I shoot a lot. And I just joined the Shooter's Depot here in Chattanooga (indoor range) so I will be shooting more. I shoot up all the cowboy ammo I can load at the 2 SASS matches near here each month. Now my grandsons will start shooting Cowboy this Saturday, basicly x3'ing my .38 special, .45 long colt needs. I load for everything I shoot because it saves me money on most calibers. Not so much for odd stuff like .243 or .380acp that I don't shoot a lot, but once you get started it's hard to stop. I reload 12 ga shotgun, just because I like to and can add chalk powder to make the smoke different colors if I want to. I don't save on shotgun but I do have different options. I started making my grandkids load .45acp & .223 because they would just rip thru magazines of ammo. I thought it would slow them down but it didn't. They enjoy reloading. I've just upgraded after 45 years to a Dillon R550 just to keep up.

Cherokee Slim