Editorial in Commercial Appeal

Guest Tom Givens

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great read.

I do have a concern about increasing the power of the mental health folks to take up guns, though. All it would take is one anti-gun shrink to start claiming that all gun owners are unstable to create a form of gun control. And most shrinks I know (few enough as it is) are liberals who have spent a large amount of time in very liberal schooling soaking up the agenda that such places put forth. Unpleasent thought for the day, I guess, but disarming folks due to "mental illness" is a slippery slope.

Thank you, Tom, for saying so eloquently what most of us have been thinking. Taking nothing away from your well-spoken, expertly-framed remarks, I have to take my hat off to Chris Peck and his editor for being REAL, objective journalists long enough to let a dissenting opinion reach their readers.

Guest IrishGuy

Very well stated - That is your(our) point of view is well stated. I'm surprised to see the communist appeal actually representing both sides of the argument but glad they finally did it - better late than never for them.

While Mr. Givens presents an excellent argument in the editorial and I am profoundly shocked it appeared in the CA, let's not overlook the fact that this is still the viewpoint of the editor....

I asked Tom what possible good can come of allowing people to buy high-capacity magazines that can kill quickly and often without reloading.

While Mr. Givens presents an excellent argument in the editorial and I am profoundly shocked it appeared in the CA, let's not overlook the fact that this is still the viewpoint of the editor....

Yeah, Peck got a few digs in here, but overall the fact they published this was a total surprise (given their very "anti" track record).

I don't expect Mr. Peck to acquire a permit to carry anytime soon. Hopefully after reporting the daily violence against citizens, eventually, he will realize that he has a duty to protect his family as well as himself.

He said we have a responsibility to listen to different viewpoints without demonizing others. I think it's good to see a member of the media show tolerence of other views.

Excellent research, compelling writing, an easy read with memorable analogies. :koolaid:

It shows the benefit of maintaining a calm, rational dialogue with those with whom you disagree, without hyperbole and empty threats.

As a result, when Mr. Peck felt the desire to engage someone opposed to gun control in the face of the Arizona tragedy he had a credible source to whom he could connect. When that moment came you did an eloquent, well reasoned, and compelling job of presenting a defense of our rights!

A job well done from which we can all take some instruction!

Guest GallatinTN

Tom: Good job.

I liked the assault hammer comment too.

I read an article a few weeks ago about a Canadian man that killed someone by driving a large truck into him (or over him); guess they are on their way to outlawing trucks in Canada.

I find it necessary to carry to defend myself, not looking for a fight, but I don't want to be unprepared when one shows up when least expected.

:):):up: