The Open Carry Thread

Guest Overtaker

Guest Overtaker

Given the recent debate regarding open carry, it is appropriate to have a place where members can share their real world experiences in open carrying. Feel free to discuss appropriate gear and how to amicably interact with other individuals.

This thread is not to debate concealed vs open carry. If you are here to criticize open carry, please redirect your thoughts to the appropriate threads here or here.

I first open carried at Wal Mart, whose corporate policy is pro-OC. It was slightly uneasy the first few times, but after that it feels no different than concealed carry. Just like I'd read, most people don't even notice.

OC'd at Home Depot 2 weeks ago. The lady working the self check out area noticed as I was paying and asked if I was LEO, to which I replied in the negative. Also went to Kroger. Just another day at the grocery.

OC'd last weekend at Home Depot and Lowe's. Ate lunch at the new Chipotle here. Great burrito! It was a good 7 minute walk to Chipotle. Two in my party didn't know I carried, and they didn't even notice it until several minutes after we left.

Gear is a Glock 19 in a SERPA holster.

....I first open carried at Wal Mart, whose corporate policy is pro-OC.....

WalMart is not "pro open carry". The last corporate statement I saw is that they allow concealed carry according to the law of the state in which a store resides, but that they also reserve the right to have customers cover a visible handgun or leave the store if it creates a problem with other customers.

Costco had the same policy until Lenny Baby made an open carry scene in one in Nashville; now they are all posted statewide against carry period.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
added Costco info
  • Like 1
Guest Overtaker
WalMart is not "pro open carry". The last corporate statement I saw is that they allow concealed carry according to the law of the state in which a store resides, but that they also reserve the right to have customers cover a visible handgun or leave the store if it creates a problem with other customers.

Costco had the same policy until Lenny Baby made an open carry scene in one in Nashville; now they are all posted statewide against carry period.

- OS

I haven't seen that one yet. The ones I've seen have said Wal Mart allows whatever state law allows, and won't post.

I haven't seen that one yet. The ones I've seen have said Wal Mart allows whatever state law allows, and won't post.

Read awhile on opencarry.org forums. You'll see that any number of folks have been told to leave stores or cover their weapons in the various states where open carry is legal.

I'm sure if you're open carrying in a Wally's here and a customer freaks/complains, they'll likely still ask you the same. Barring that, you'll probably never be hassled.

But point is, WalMart is far from being on record as any kind of open carry advocate.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
I OC on occasion depending on my mood and where I'm going. I have never had an issue. Places include-gas stations, wal-mart, Wendy's, Smoky Mtns, Big South Fork, and other places. It's amazing how many people don't even notice.

I've open carried just briefly a few times in the last 6 months.

Maybe it's because I was totin' a big ass Blackhawk .357, but I could certainly tell folks noticed. ;)

- OS

I've open carried just briefly a few times in the last 6 months.

Maybe it's because I was totin' a big ass Blackhawk .357, but I could certainly tell folks noticed. ;)

- OS

they just couldn't believe they were in the company of Donald Sutherland!!

Church, work, out-of-town - concealed - when in Rome...

I've quit bothering to conceal at the gas station, grocery store, wally, etc. Going to/from "outdoor activity" it's often a big gun in a big holster. And up here in the country, guess what...nobody cares!

Well, I did get some wide-eyed stares from a couple of teens at the grocery store awhile back. Michigan plates on their mama's SUV...go figure!

If OC is not done it will disappear under some lame rules or law. If you OC do so as a responsible gun owner*.

Just my opinion so don't flame, hell go ahead I don't care!

*you said it right there. I think OC can work either for us or against us depending on the situation. Personally, I'm only comfortable with open carry in three places: 1) my house/yard, 2. my office, 3. In backwoods areas for hiking/camping etc...

*you said it right there. I think OC can work either for us or against us depending on the situation. ...

I'll re-stir one old pot by saying that the majority of people I see open carrying in TN are far from the best PR examples of the gun owning community to the rest of the rank and file.

Whether this is a fair perception or not is immaterial -- but it does not "desensitize" the average citizen to open carry when the majority of examples look like a cut-rate wannabee Rambo, a biker gang member, or a wife beater bum who lives under a bridge.

Sorry folks, but for every nicely attired/groomed open carrier I've seen, there seem to be three or more of the above. Hell, even I don't open carry as often as I might due to the fact that I don't always take as much care with my appearance to feel that I wouldn't be at least a slight detriment to the cause by going visually strapped.

Again, not my opinion of what should be, but my observation what is, image-wise.

- OS

Hell, even I don't open carry as often as I might due to the fact that I don't always take as much care with my appearance to feel that I wouldn't be at least a slight detriment to the cause by going visually strapped.

- OS

I understand your sentiment. Just so happens that when I'm looking scroungy I don't have my shirt tucked in, hence I can conceal. This fall/winter, I've started going owb often with my suit/tie lawyer costume on. Most of the time I still toss the coat on when out and about or when clients are in my office, but I think my chances of making someone uncomfortable are far less when I'm clean shaven and wearing a tie.

I just hardly ever see anyone OC period. I must not get out much... I've only ever seen one guy who I thought looked a little too much like a mall ninja. Other than that it just seems to be grumpy, gray haired old men with 1911s and one guy with a huge revolver we saw in the smokies. The last time I saw anyone OC, it was a clean cut, older guy, probably early 60s, walking around West Town Mall with a 1911. No one seemed to notice.

I also saw a very clean cut guy who was openly carrying in West Town Mall. The mall was packed and yet I seemed to be the only person that noticed him. Surprising since that place is posted "no weapons". Not legal posting but definitely frowned upon.

I regularly OC in my neighborhood. Primarily so my neighbors will know to call before they come by my house. Hehehehehe

Around town and most def out of town I conceal. Just more comfy for me that way. No reason to attract attention sometimes.

Edited by walton6467
WalMart is not "pro open carry". The last corporate statement I saw is that they allow concealed carry according to the law of the state in which a store resides, but that they also reserve the right to have customers cover a visible handgun or leave the store if it creates a problem with other customers.'

- OS

As a former Wal-Mart employee in the Great state of Tennessee I thought I would add my 2 cents worth. I hired on with WM last November. During my new hire training I asked what is WM's policy in regard to OC/CC. I was told WM does not have a policy for customers, but for employee's we were not to carry. They never noticed my Ruger LCP snuggled tightly to my left ankle.

Sorry if I appear to be dum or lost but if I have a CC permitt am I permitted to open carry? If so I have heard that people have been sited for letting thier gun be seen by mistake when a shirt or coat would ride up. Please help be with this before I make a mistake