Home Defense Question.....

I have seen people post about keeping their home defense shotgun in "cruiser mode" (full tube--empty chamber.) I have always done this but lately i have been wondering about the advantages/disadvantages of this practice.

I have heard of the "intemidation factor" of hearing a round chambered. Honestly, I'm not sure i want to give up my location in that situation. If you broke into the living of my house you would not know where we slept. That puts the odds in my favor--racking the shotgun gives away the element of surprise. Any thoughts--maybe i'm missing something. Thanks for the input

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep mine on "cruiser mode" as you describe but I had not thought about the fact that it could give away my position. However, maybe that isn't a bad thing. If it does let them know where I am, maybe the BG will head the opposite direction. I don't plan on playing hike and seek in my house. If someone breaks in then I'm probably going to stay put and wait for them to come though my door. I'm not trained in "clearing" a house and I'm not rambo. I'll take my chances in my basement unless they are upstairs trying to hurt my family.

It's the same logic as firing a "warning shot". It's pointless and if you're counting on it scaring the BG away, you don't understand just how desperate and determined some criminals are.

If someone breaks in while I'm home, they get no warning - only 00 buck to the chest.

Cocked and locked. If they don't know the sound of a shotgun safety being disengaged, they're :) out of luck.

I keep my shotgun with a round chambered. That way all I have to do is release the safety and fire. What happens if you are wounded (shot in the arm) and can't chamber a round but you can squeeze the trigger? What happens if while you are racking a shell you get shot by the bad guy who's gun it already racked? BUT, I would never tell a man how to defend his castle. You do it how you want.......

Edited by Will Carry
I keep mine on "cruiser mode" as you describe but I had not thought about the fact that it could give away my position. However, maybe that isn't a bad thing. If it does let them know where I am, maybe the BG will head the opposite direction. ....

Or maybe he'll unload a whole mag of whatever he's carrying at your sound, too.

I'd just as soon have the first sound the BG hears from my direction be the last sound he hears period.

- OS

Never give away your location. The element of surprise is the best thing you have going

for you vs a BG. Racking a shell into the chamber, firing a warning shot, yelling get

out of here, may just be the last thing you ever do.

Racking a shell into the chamber is a Hollywood thing. Don't do what you have seen on TV, it most likely will get you kilt. Remember those disclaimers, don't do this at home.

BTW, special disclaimer, my advise may not be sound advise. Please consult an expert.

Edited by vontar
I'm kinnA torn on this one I live alone and keep mine chambered with safety, but if I thought I could rack the gun and the guy runs off with out me having to kill him I would

Well you still can rack one if you're willing to loose one shot. :)

You'd still have just as many as if you left the chamber empty.

Well you still can rack one if you're willing to loose one shot. :)

You'd still have just as many as if you left the chamber empty.

I thought about that, but that is kinda like wasting beer and I believe that is the point you are making. Don't worry I am sure you and I are on the same page.

How about this,

Fire One, then Rack one, in case there are 2 or more bad guys. that way the 2nd BG got a warning shot and a Rack warning, plus may have heard an empty hit the floor if he was not to busy dropping a load in his pants.

Don't plan that your home invasion defense is going to be centered around one BG coming in that will be scared off easy. It might be 2 or 3 pros.

You ever notice that in Hollywood movies they rack a pump shotgun like it was a Crossman BB gun? The more you rack it the harder it shoots, I recon. AND what is the next thing you do after racking a round? Load another shell in the tube! They never do that in Hollywood! They shoot the shotgun and then wait until they need to shoot again before they rack another round. In Tennessee we rack another round before the spent shell hits the ground.

Just remember that a shotgun is a poor choice if you get into a gun fight in a phone booth. :)

That's why mine stays in the corner in the bedroom till I need it.

If I drop it while confronting a BG, then I'm screwed anyway...

Everyone has to do what works best for them; I'm just saying it's (the drop safe issue), why I would not leave a shell in the chamber, and it's something to consider if you choose to do so. Folks on this board are mostly more familiar with guns than your average person. A lot of people, however, don't realize that shotguns are pretty much the only modern firearms that aren't drop safe. In my situation, an intruder wouldn't hear me rack it over my alarm and loud dog downstairs anyway. This has been covered repeatedly on this forum. I'm convinced that each person has to do what's best for their situation. Until my kids are old enough to be trained, my shotgun isn't the "go to" weapon anyway. If I've got time to get it out of the safe, I've got time to rack it. For now, a handgun is just easier to keep accessible, but still out of reach. As for "clearing the house", I've got a two story house. All bedrooms are upstairs. Nothing in my house is worth enough to compromise losing the best position to protecting the people upstairs.

* Admittedly Off Topic Story: A few months ago my neighbor accross the street called to let us know they had called the Sheriff's Dept because our dog and their dog were barking. My dog had gone out to the bathroom one last time before bed. I heard him barking, assumed it was at a cat and yelled for him to come back in. My neighbor said our dog got their dog wound up (who was at their front door). He actually saw someone standing at my fence and shining a flashlight in my backyard. When he

went outside, the guy hopped in an SUV and drove off. My shotgun did sleep outside for a couple of days after that. I also became more appreciative of neighbors who watch and communicate.

Edited by JReedEsq