Clip or magazine?

Zeus

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i myself try to call them mags. sometimes i slip up it does not matter to me. clip or mag but when i go in gun shops i say clip just to watch them get all tore up. works every time

If you really want to screw with them, go into a gun shop and ask for sabot slugs. (Correctly pronounced sah-bow...the 'T' is silent) This is a commonly mispronounced word. I've never been in a gun store that knew what I was asking for, so like an idiot I have to ask for "sa-bot" slugs or even worse "those slugs with plastic around them". Then they usually know what I mean. B)

It doesn't matter. But I've always felt that some of the guys who have been into firearms for a long time use this as a kinda snob move against newer shooters.

Actually, it's the complete opposite. Guys that have been around guns longer then most of us here on the gun boards have been alive, call them clips.

Only on the internet will you find such snobs that insist on calling them magazines and ostracizing those that call them clips. They do this in order to look like they know what they're doing... but it only shows how big of a douche they really are. No one, no where, does this with anything else.

Car guys do not do this with "tire" and "wheel". If I say to a mechanic "my wheel has a nail in it"... then the mechanic knows what I'm talking about and is not going to show me a pictorial of the differences between a wheel and a tire. Why? Because I would punch him in the throat for being a ****ing douche. B)

Guest tbone

I was under the impression that the term "Clip" came from veterans who used the M1 Garand, as the "Clip" resembles an overgrown money clip. From there it was applied to any device that holds bullets for a firearm. (I may be wrong about this, but it seems to make sense.) As for my personal position on this immanently critical debate on terminology, either term is fine with me, as I use them interchangeably.

Guest rebeldrummer
Hilarious! Literally laughed audibly :)

+1 on the outburst of laughter ....

Lumber....was it followed by a weird look and the shaking of the head from the wife?? MINE SURE WAS!!! ha ha ha....

+1 on the outburst of laughter ....

Lumber....was it followed by a weird look and the shaking of the head from the wife?? MINE SURE WAS!!! ha ha ha....

Haha Yes, she always asks "what's so funny", then I tell her and she never seems to laugh. Guess you had to be there

I carry clips, you bottom feeeder folks carry magazines!

7771CE7B996A44248F6BE3EDA867A89B-0000317266-0002241595-00640L-29853032A491423A8A1C6A5B1C22EFD1.jpg

Actually the proper term for clips that do not remain in the weapon is "charger clips" and were very common in the Military Bolt Gun days. So these are actually .38 special charger clips.

Proprietary (Brand) name is Speed Strips, but they are actually .38 Spcl clips manufactured by Bianchi. So when I say I carry extra clips in my pocket, I am using the correct term.

Us wheel gun folks are still very much in the clip business.

Edited by wjh2657
Guest db99wj
i prefer to say clip. It pisses people off and that makes me happy.

Yes.

I didn't think anything could be more absurd than the whole beaten to death "9 vs. 45" thing.

I was wrong.

This is more fun, nobody has gotten all butthurt.......yet.

If you really want to screw with them, go into a gun shop and ask for sabot slugs. (Correctly pronounced sah-bow...the 'T' is silent) This is a commonly mispronounced word. I've never been in a gun store that knew what I was asking for, so like an idiot I have to ask for "sa-bot" slugs or even worse "those slugs with plastic around them". Then they usually know what I mean. :screwy:

I will fight them to the death, I didn't spend 6 years (1 weekend/Month and 2-3 weeks per year) playing with tanks to call them "sa-bots"!

Actually, it's the complete opposite. Guys that have been around guns longer then most of us here on the gun boards have been alive, call them clips.

Only on the internet will you find such snobs that insist on calling them magazines and ostracizing those that call them clips. They do this in order to look like they know what they're doing... but it only shows how big of a douche they really are. No one, no where, does this with anything else.

Car guys do not do this with "tire" and "wheel". If I say to a mechanic "my wheel has a nail in it"... then the mechanic knows what I'm talking about and is not going to show me a pictorial of the differences between a wheel and a tire. Why? Because I would punch him in the throat for being a ****ing douche. :D

WIN.

Seconded....Very funny

This is the douche-o-meter concept I was referring to early on. It works very well

Yep.

I likes mines estended clips.

Guest btjudge

I use bullet holders and bullet holder holders. I put clips on paper and read gun magazines. Am I using the wrong terminology??? Help me please!!

Guest cheez
It doesn't matter. But I've always felt that some of the guys who have been into firearms for a long time use this as a kinda snob move against newer shooters.

Spot on post here. Just like the anal retentive folks who shudder when someone calls a rifle a gun. Guess what! Rifles are guns and clips are magazines. Look it up in the dictionary.

Coming up next:

Guns: Were they designed to kill?

Oh now that's just the dumbest thing I ever heard. Guns don't kill people. Bullets, now bullets kill people.

Of course I should give credence to the art of bludgeoning. In that instance I suppose a gun could kill someone, but that wouldn't be part of the inherent design. Unless of course you move from bludgeoning damage to piercing damage, like that of a bayonet. BUT, is it really the gun that kills during a bayonet strike, or would the guilty party be the designers of the bayonet? After all a bayonet is merely an attachment TO a gun, not a gun in and of itself. The gun could then only be an accessory to the actual object that made the kill. Speaking of bayonets, if you ever decide to eat the BBQ rib plate at the local gas station/BBQ joint here in town, you won't need one. I had that for supper last night and they just slide off the bone. Sauce was decent, but a touch too much flavor from the wood smoke came through in it. I think a bit a brown sugar would help that, as long as the brown sugar hasn't solidified into a granite block. Pisses me off when my brown sugar solidifies. Makes things exponentially more difficult. I've even had to use a hammer to break it up. It was a framing hammer from Lowes. You know Kobalt tools there at Lowes, there pretty decent tools. The wife got me big set for our anniversary in '08. That was our 6th anniversary. We've been married 9 years this year. Dang, where does the time go?

Oh now that's just the dumbest thing I ever heard. Guns don't kill people. Bullets, now bullets kill people.

Of course I should give credence to the art of bludgeoning. In that instance I suppose a gun could kill someone, but that wouldn't be part of the inherent design. Unless of course you move from bludgeoning damage to piercing damage, like that of a bayonet. BUT, is it really the gun that kills during a bayonet strike, or would the guilty party be the designers of the bayonet? After all a bayonet is merely an attachment TO a gun, not a gun in and of itself. The gun could then only be an accessory to the actual object that made the kill. Speaking of bayonets, if you ever decide to eat the BBQ rib plate at the local gas station/BBQ joint here in town, you won't need one. I had that for supper last night and they just slide off the bone. Sauce was decent, but a touch too much flavor from the wood smoke came through in it. I think a bit a brown sugar would help that, as long as the brown sugar hasn't solidified into a granite block. Pisses me off when my brown sugar solidifies. Makes things exponentially more difficult. I've even had to use a hammer to break it up. It was a framing hammer from Lowes. You know Kobalt tools there at Lowes, there pretty decent tools. The wife got me big set for our anniversary in '08. That was our 6th anniversary. We've been married 9 years this year. Dang, where does the time go?

:D

...Just like the anal retentive folks who shudder when someone calls a rifle a gun.

My Company Commander in boot camp would have a problem with you on this one! Anyone in his presence calling a rifle a "gun" would get two nights of "Happy Hour" ("Happy Hour" was two hours long and the only thing "happy" about was when it was over)!!! :)

Hence, even to this day I am hesitant to call any rifle a "gun" (although in all fairness, I am pretty anal retentive). <smile>

Guest GT_Rat

Can we debate over fixed, semi-fixed, or separate ammunition now? BTW, when I shot guns with semi-fixed ammunition I had to walk into two magazines to get it.

I generally use the term 'magazine' or just 'mag'. I wonder, though, if there was argument about the term when it first started being used in the current manner. After all, a magazine is actually a building or room where gunpowder, explosives and munitions are stored, not part of a gun, right?

but a touch too much flavor from the wood smoke came through in it.

The clip vs. magazine thing doesn't bother me but now you have hit on one of my pet peeves.

Why would anyone eat smoked barbecue if they don't want to taste the smoke? Too many places around here somehow manage to cook with wood, in a smoker, but still manage to make the barbecue taste like it was cooked in an electric oven. Why go through the trouble of smoking the meat? Me, I want to taste the smoke. Sauce should be secondary - and complimentary - to the flavor of the smoked meat - emphasis on smoked. Heck, do the smoke right and you don't necessarily even need sauce - especially with a good dry rub. I like ribs that are smoked so heavily that they make my lips a little numb and my hands still smell like smoke three hours later no matter how many times I wash them.

Clipazine. Magaclip.

Edited by JAB