Open carry: Permit not required????

I've been under the impresson that as a non-permit holder, I could not carry a firearm on a day-to-day basis at all.

A friend of mine (& several other folks recently) have told me that I'm wrong & that I can open carry without a permit. A permit is only needed for concealed carry.

Now, I'm about 99% sure they're wrong (I thought TN did not discern, legally, between open or concealed) but I'd like confirmation please.

I have no real need to carry all the ime (& I honestly wouldn't be comfortable with open carry anyway) but there are times & places where I'd really like to be able to, as long as I'm not breaking any laws.

Can someone clarify this for me please. I'm not familiar with the laws & statutes at all.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In TN, you need a HCP to OC or CC.

In short, LEO sees a Handgun, he/she has the right to ask to see your permit and you had better have it on your person.

In TN even if you have a permit and you forget it at home while carrying you are in violation. If you forget your wallet with your permit and you notice, the best thing to do is to separate your gun and ammo for safe transport as if you had no permit.

In KY you can OC with out a permit. In KY you need a permit to CC. I am not an expert on KY.

I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on the internet.

Edited by vontar

In Tennessee, it is illegal to carry any weapon for the purpose of going about armed, However having an exception to that law is a valid possession of a HCP. Some states do allow open carry of firearms with out permits and when people move here a lot of the time they do not understand that different states have different laws. Not unlike when someone moves here from Illinois is amazed they don't have to have a license to own a gun or from New York and can even own a gun!!

While everything said above is completely correct, there are some exceptions... For example, you are not required to have a permit in your "place of business" or on property that you own, while protecting livestock from predators, etc.

So depending on what these folks do for a living, they maybe able to legally carry without a permit.

But, most likely they're mis-informed.

I've been under the impresson that as a non-permit holder, I could not carry a firearm on a day-to-day basis at all.

A friend of mine (& several other folks recently) have told me that I'm wrong & that I can open carry without a permit. A permit is only needed for concealed carry.

Now, I'm about 99% sure they're wrong (I thought TN did not discern, legally, between open or concealed) but I'd like confirmation please.

I have no real need to carry all the ime (& I honestly wouldn't be comfortable with open carry anyway) but there are times & places where I'd really like to be able to, as long as I'm not breaking any laws.

Can someone clarify this for me please. I'm not familiar with the laws & statutes at all.

It's an easy fix, just go get your HCP!

*sigh* I wish :poop:

Non immigrant aliens are not eligible to apply. I'm a British citizen living over here on a non-immigrant visa. I'd dearly love, with all my heart, to become a US Citizen, but the US government won't allow it.

Non immigrant aliens are not eligible to apply. I'm a British citizen living over here on a non-immigrant visa. I'd dearly love, with all my heart, to become a US Citizen, but the US government won't allow it.

Just curious how you would open carry then? I thought it was also illegal for non-resident aliens to purchase firearms?

If it's not illegal, you should look at getting a permit from another state, since TN isn't your "residence" any state which would issue you a permit would seem to be valid here in TN.

Guest gunnutt

SEE!!! now thats what pisses me off! people who love this country cant immagrate here but people that sneak in and dont care about this country they want to give AMNESTY! its just stupid,OFF TOPIC RANT OFF! sorry,john

You know something is really messed up when people who come to our country legally, play by the rules, and want to be a citizen cannot become one yet we have people in our country who want to give citizenship to people who come into this country illegally only for the reason to make money and send it back across the border.

Just curious how you would open carry then? I thought it was also illegal for non-resident aliens to purchase firearms?

If it's not illegal, you should look at getting a permit from another state, since TN isn't your "residence" any state which would issue you a permit would seem to be valid here in TN.

No, non resident aliens can buy & legally own firearms. We just can't carry them, it seems. I've bought long guns & pistols over the counter, passed all the background checks & everything with no trouble at all.

Tennessee is my legal & sole residence, so I would guess an out of State permit is a no-no too.

No, non resident aliens can buy & legally own firearms. We just can't carry them, it seems. I've bought long guns & pistols over the counter, passed all the background checks & everything with no trouble at all.

Tennessee is my legal & sole residence, so I would guess an out of State permit is a no-no too.

I don't see how TN is your legal residence if you're a non-resident alien... IANAL... but it seems to me you can't have a residence if you're not a resident alien or citizen :usa:

And even if you're correct, and a out of state permit wouldn't work for you here in TN, it would work in a lot of other places all over the country legally.

I'm confident if you wanted to carry finding a legal way to do so is possible :hat:

I don't see how TN is your legal residence if you're a non-resident alien... IANAL... but it seems to me you can't have a residence if you're not a resident alien or citizen :hat:

I know, good isn't it! :) I am legally classed as a resident of TN (I guess so that I can legally pay all the taxes :usa: )

but I am not a permanent US resident. Believe me, after 5 years worh of legal paperwork & having lived here for 2 years, I still don't understand all the ins & outs of it all!

*sigh* I wish :rolleyes:

If you are not Married, you might just have to marry a southern girl then. ;) I think that might work. However keep in mind I am not a lawyer.

Can’t you get refugee status? The Brits are openly hostile to gun owners. :D

He needs a political asylum.

As Normal, OS, seems to be on Top of things.

Edited by vontar
Guest 270win

I thought you could get a TN handgun carry permit as long as you were a lawful resident alien and a resident of Tennessee? It would seem legal that if you could get a hunting license and a driver's license and buy firearms in TN that you could get the handgun carry permit? I know some states require you to be a US Citizen to get a pistol license/handgun carry permit, but I thought TN just required you to be a lawful resident alien and a lawful resident of TN.

You can carry your handgun openly or concealed on your own property/hotel room, hunting/fishing/outdoors sports, at your business place, camping, and at the range.

Good luck if you desire to become a US Citizen. We need more people like you to become Americans. If you know others like you from your home that share your values, tell them to come here.

I just read on the highway patrol website that you must be a lawful permanent resident to get a handgun carry permit. Hopefully you can at least switch over to that in some time to be able to get a handgun carry permit.

Edited by 270win
*sigh* I wish :D

Learn Spanish, Chinese. or whatever the hell they speak in Iran, and they will let you right in :). I've had a few friends from Canada, and one from Australia that tried to get US citizanship... no dice. We get Strel instead.

Guest 270win

Our government lets people who hate us come in, have babies, and become citizens instead of those who are like us and love our country.

Quite sad that some good folks who share our same values from Canada, Australia, and the UK can't easily come to the USA.

No wonder our country has such a problem with people not like us that are on paper US citizens but hate us, wear a bed sheet, and do bad things against our country.

Something is screwed up when we let the enemy in our house but turn our friends away.

That is something that has needed to be changed a long time ago.

Edited by 270win

Before we get all carried away with "Government bashing" here I think we need to look back at our laws. To qualify for many (not all) of the Citizens' Rights in this country as an alien you must establish Permanent Residency via the l-551 card (green card). As a nation we extend more rights to our resident aliens than any other nation. In all of the other nations, what rights they have are only available to Resident Aliens.Under new laws here in TN you will have to be a U.S. Citizen or Resident Alien(green card) in order to issued a permanent driver's license. I received my HCP two years ago and I had to submit a birth certificate at that time.

The language used by some posters seems to indicate they want the law to differ by ethnic group. (No to Mexicans, Muslims and Africans) (yes to Europeans.) I am White and Conservative btw, so ditch the black liberal argument. It has to be one law for all Resident Aliens. If we are going to deny one group the right, then deny to all groups of Resident Aliens.

The current Tennessee procedures for HCP and Drivers Licenses are fully in accord with all guidelines.

Personally, I feel that our Immigration laws are comprehensive and complete. We don't need new laws or "special sanctions" as the current laws are pretty well thought out. They just aren't enforced!

Poster needs to decide whether or not he wants to file for Residency. If so, then he can apply for HCP.

Edited by wjh2657