Good Tactical Knife?

Guest ArmaDeFuego

Guest ArmaDeFuego

Any of you guys know of a good, fairly cheap, tactical knife? Something that could be used in a self defense situation if need be?

I got one I thought I was going to like the other day, but come to find out (after I already got it) that it is an "assisted opening" knife & would more than likely be considered a switchblade in TN. Whoops. Guess I'll be getting rid of that one.

I need something pretty cheap. I've seen some really nice knives for $200+ but I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend that kind of money on a KNIFE! :D

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scramasax

If you are lookingh for a folder I reccomend any of the CRKT knives. For a utility/tactical the M-16 series have been well tested in the sandbox.

Cheers,

ts

I really like the Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn F.A.S.T. It is the cheaper version of the same knife. Sharpen both sides and you have a tried and true fighting knife as well as working well as a everyday carry knife. I carry one and really like it. It's also spring assisted opening. They go for $35 to $50 with the better ones running in the $70-90 range.

22-41966-1.jpg

I also really like my Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto. It's a little large and heavy for EDC, but excellent knife. These run in $80 range.

06102010095.jpg

I got one I thought I was going to like the other day, but come to find out (after I already got it) that it is an "assisted opening" knife & would more than likely be considered a switchblade in TN. Whoops. Guess I'll be getting rid of that one.

Only if you push a button not fixed to the blade. Assisted opening knives are perfectly fine as long as you push on something attached to the blade, like on the Gerber I posted.

I have this one and I love it! The price is pretty good here too. I saw one at a recent gun show for twice this price.

Gerber.gifGerbersheath.jpg

Gerber Military Tactical LMF II A.S.E.K. Knife IN STOCK!

I got feeling he meant something he can legally carry every day everywhere.

I carry several knives at a time daily, but as far as my "main" carry over last 3 years or so, it's been:

- Cold Steel Recon 1

- Cold Steel 4" Voyager

- Gerber Profile folder

- back to traditional with Buck 110

All excellent all around TN legal carry knives.

- and just got Spyderco Military, which will actually be the most expensive knife I own. Looking forward to toting this around. Maybe have to still accommodate the Buck somehow, though.

- OS

• Admin Team

Spyderco Military is a great blade! I also am a big fan of the ParaMilitary if you want a 2/3 scale sized knife. The most common complaint about the military is that it's big.

That fact doesn't really bother me. I'm of the school that says you can almost always do little knife work with a big knife, but can almost never do big knife work with a little knife.

It's not terribly "tactical" - whatever that actually means in a knife, but I really like the new Benchmade 915 Triage. I've been a fan of sheepsfoot blades since my old search and rescue days.

- and just got Spyderco Military, which will actually be the most expensive knife I own. Looking forward to toting this around. Maybe have to still accommodate the Buck somehow, though.

- OS

you old dog you! You should have told me. We need to get together soon so I can see it. Actually need to see your entire collection.

Spyderco Military is a great blade! I also am a big fan of the ParaMilitary if you want a 2/3 scale sized knife. The most common complaint about the military is that it's big.

That fact doesn't really bother me. I'm of the school that says you can almost always do little knife work with a big knife, but can almost never do big knife work with a little knife.

That's my feeling. I'd have been carrying something like the Voyager 6 incher all this time if it were legal. Plus I always have a Buck Stockman for "normal" stuff.

Amazon lowered price of one model to $117 with the free shipping, so I had to bite. I wavered some on the camo G-10 but finally decided it didn't matter one way or the other to me. Had it sent down to Mom's since knew I was going there soon, and figgered I might miss it; I'll have hands on tomorrow. :)

Tip down carry only with the clip, not my fave, but good chance I'll take the clip off anyway, have with all others I've carried. Although most say with a big handled knife like this, the tip down puts your fingers about where they should be to flip open anyway.

41v6r%2BB282L._SS500_.jpg

Amazon.com: Spyderco Military Model G-10 Plain Edge Knife: Sports & Outdoors

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
added pic and whatnot
you old dog you! You should have told me. We need to get together soon so I can see it. Actually need to see your entire collection.

Yep, anytime. Military is made in Golden, so that was sort of the final selling point.

- OS

Guest ArmaDeFuego
Only if you push a button not fixed to the blade. Assisted opening knives are perfectly fine as long as you push on something attached to the blade, like on the Gerber I posted.

Yea I got a S&W M&P Magic knife. Its got a little tab right on the back of the handle right where the blade comes out. I emailed S&W customer support with the language used in TN code to define a switchblade (actually used in most states to define a switchblade) & was informed that in a court of law it would more than likely be considered to be a switchblade using that language. :)

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. If I was rich I would definitely go with a ZT heh. I cant really spend over $50 on a knife tho, & thats pushing it.

Anyone have any experience with the Ontario RAT 1? Would that be worth getting or just a waste of money? How bout a SOG Flash II?

Keep in mind that any knife I get will get VERY light use. I have a $1 Wal-Mart knife that I would use for everyday cutting of stuff lol. I really just want a fairly inexpensive yet decent knife to have in my pocket in a SHTF scenario.

Yea I got a S&W M&P Magic knife. Its got a little tab right on the back of the handle right where the blade comes out. I emailed S&W customer support with the language used in TN code to define a switchblade (actually used in most states to define a switchblade) & was informed that in a court of law it would more than likely be considered to be a switchblade using that language. :)

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. If I was rich I would definitely go with a ZT heh. I cant really spend over $50 on a knife tho, & thats pushing it.

Anyone have any experience with the Ontario RAT 1? Would that be worth getting or just a waste of money? How bout a SOG Flash II?

Keep in mind that any knife I get will get VERY light use. I have a $1 Wal-Mart knife that I would use for everyday cutting of stuff lol. I really just want a fairly inexpensive yet decent knife to have in my pocket in a SHTF scenario.

I like the RAT much better. Many people, maybe most, who get a serrated small blade later wish they hadn't.

Since US made doesn't figure into your decision, but finances do, here's one I mentioned in previous post. Excellent knife, not just for the money, but period. 3.5" blade, locks up nicely, very sharp (and easy to sharpen), good point for umm, social contact, great grip even if umm, slick, deploys in a nano second. Has no pocket clip, which is a plus for me, as I just snuggle big folders in next to wallet, point up; nobody sees them either.

And less than $20

gerberprofile.jpg

You might find it at Wally's or Academy or Dicks or Gander Mt or...Amazon:

Amazon.com: Gerber 22-41297 Profile Folding DP Knife: Home Improvement

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Anyone have any experience with the Ontario RAT 1? Would that be worth getting or just a waste of money?

The RAT is one of the best knife values out there. I have seven of them in four different handle colors.

Guest Hillbilly Dan

A cheap knife is like a cheap gun. They will fail and you will be sorry. Save your money and get a quality knife.

Hillbilly Dan

Life Member NRA

Guest ArmaDeFuego

Hmmm now I'm wondering about the S&W Magic I bought. I sent an email to SMKW asking them about it & they said it is NOT considered to be a switchblade in TN. They said that they have checked into the legality of them here & found that it would not be considered a switchblade because the button in the handle doesnt cause the knife to open all the way, which makes it an "assisted opening knife" & not a switchblade. The button just pops it open a little.... you still have to flick your wrist or make some other motion to get the blade to stay extended.

It's not terribly "tactical" - whatever that actually means in a knife, but I really like the new Benchmade 915 Triage. I've been a fan of sheepsfoot blades since my old search and rescue days.

I was going to recommend the Spyderco Paramilitary myself. I like the size and location of the lock better than the Military. You could go with a Native and save a little money. I don't like the fully serrated blade though.