Buying my first SA Revolver... input?

ls3_kid

Hello all I am very close to purchasing a Ruger Vaquero .44, this will be my first SA and I'm just curious if anybody has any insight for me. I have heard the .357 models are the most popular but I am drawn to a little bit bigger caliber (grrr manpower!). I plan on just using it for recreational use maybe dabble in some SAS but I haven't done much research into that yet. Any insight would be mush appreciated.

Cheers!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your choice is a good one as for as it being a Ruger.

All kinds of after market stuff for it.

Even better if you reload.

The only down side to it is that is 44Mag.

More expensive than 357/38Spl.

In my experience (357mag) I found myself shooting .38Spl more.

I say after a while 44Mag would be hard on the hand. Not so much with 44Spl.

I typically shoot 300+ rounds when I get the chance to shoot. So 38Spl was cheaper.

Good luck.

Another route would be the 45LC as Rugers can take the the +p loads.

I love Ruger Revolvers, they build them strong (but heavy).

Edited by TnShooter83

I have a Bisley Vaquero in .357. It's great fun shooting single action revolvers. I shoot 38 special some but I do love the full house .357 and the Vaquero is heavy enough so the recoil is a non issue. The only issue with shooting .357 loads is that the gun gets hot enough to iron shirts with. You can burn your fingers loading it. I imagine that 44 magnums would be a hoot! If I reloaded I would have gotten a 44 mag. but 38s are a lot cheaper than 44s at Wallmart.

The thing I like about the single action revolvers is you learn to take your time. It takes a while to reload so you want to make every shoot count. I also shoot less ammo when I shoot the Vaquero so it saves money too.

Of course you'll have to get a nice leather rig. I got one from Old El Paso Saddlery that is real nice and cost $170.

El Paso Saddlery - Holsters

Edited by Will Carry
I have a Bisley Vaquero in .357. It's great fun shooting single action revolvers. I shoot 38 special some but I do love the full house .357 and the Vaquero is heavy enough so the recoil is a non issue. The only issue with shooting .357 loads is that the gun gets hot enough to iron shirts with. You can burn your fingers loading it. I imagine that 44 magnums would be a hoot! If I reloaded I would have gotten a 44 mag. but 38s are a lot cheaper than 44s at Wallmart.

The thing I like about the single action revolvers is you learn to take your time. It takes a while to reload so you want to make every shoot count. I also shoot less ammo when I shoot the Vaquero so it saves money too.

Of course you'll have to get a nice leather rig. I got one from Old El Paso Saddlery that is real nice and cost $170.

El Paso Saddlery - Holsters

Which holster did you purchase? There are some nice ones on there. As for the ammo it is a bit pricey but I will probably not shoot it as much as I should. Thanks for the input, on a side not any body participate in SAS competitions? I've only heard good comments about the competitions.

Every collection needs a cowboy gun. The Rugers are great. I have American Western Peacekeeper .357 Sheriff's model that such a good copy of Colt SA Peacemaker that Colt sued for Patent infringement. I love the .357 versatility. Enjoy your Ruger!

Check the price of the calibers you're looking at. That would be my biggest piece of advice. I have 2 .22lr SA revolvers, cheaper than dirt to shoot...obviously. A .30 cal carbine SA revolver, only shoots brass cased ammo and hard to find. Also a .45lc, great gun and I get my ammo from the TN cartridge company for .46 cents a round. I like the .357 but I only have it in a double action, along with a .38...again double action. If you want some real powder behind your round, I have a .454 casull in double action that is a real noise maker...ammo is expensive and hard to find. Just price how much it will cost you a year to shoot. My revolvers range from Rugers to Uberti to Rossi to Heritage to FIE and I would gladly buy Ruger and Uberti over and over again.

Check the price of the calibers you're looking at. That would be my biggest piece of advice. I have 2 .22lr SA revolvers, cheaper than dirt to shoot...obviously. A .30 cal carbine SA revolver, only shoots brass cased ammo and hard to find. Also a .45lc, great gun and I get my ammo from the TN cartridge company for .46 cents a round. I like the .357 but I only have it in a double action, along with a .38...again double action. If you want some real powder behind your round, I have a .454 casull in double action that is a real noise maker...ammo is expensive and hard to find. Just price how much it will cost you a year to shoot. My revolvers range from Rugers to Uberti to Rossi to Heritage to FIE and I would gladly buy Ruger and Uberti over and over again.

Shooting a .454 casull is pretty gnarly but with .44 ammo being .50 cents - .65 cents a round does not bother me much. Glad to hear Ruger makes some good revolvers.

The Vaquero is also avaliable in .44 Special which is a very nice round in and off itself with a lot of history behind it as well. It or the .357 Mag would be a lot of fun as well as being perfect for cast bullets. Still, one of the best SA handgun's offered for utility and value is the Ruger Single Six, you can shoot it often and really learn to handle a SA as well as have a lot of fun.

Rugers are bulit like a tank, and can handle the hot loads. I guess you can say I like them a little, I own two Single-sixes, a .357 convertible, a .45 convertible, .41 Mag. and .44 Mag. SBH. that I have deer hunted with. They are nice reliable firearms can't go wrong with a Ruger.

My blackhawk in 45 Long Colt will reach out and grab the lower tier of .454 casull performance all day. The Ruger can be a beast. There's a reason Ruger gets it's own reloading section for 45LC in my Accurate Arms manual.:rolleyes:

SASS allows the sighted Rugers, I.E. Blackhawks, to shoot in the modern category. The "basic cowboy sight" Vaqueros/New Model Vaqueros are the main guns seen locally. I shoot 2 in .45, as does one grandson. His are the New Model Vaqueros in 45, mine are Old Model. Another shoots .38s in the .357 New Model Vaqueros. Many cowboys are shooting the 38s just because of the cost of lead & bullets. Most cowboys reload because of the large amounts of ammo shot. Regardless, 38s, 44s and 45s are straight wall cases and easily reloaded to reduce your shooting expense.

Cherokee Slim

Guest Roadkill Bill

I started out with a .22 Bisley and was hooked from that point on. I have several .44s and 2 of the .357/9mm convertibles (one in each barrel length). Back when I was involved with CAS I bought the convertibles so I could practice with the cheap Russian 9mm ammo. I was surprised at how well it works. However, they're real tack drivers with .357 loads. I love my .44s but the price of ammo keeps them in the safe most of the time. The .44 Special and .45 Colt ammo costs more than .44 mag. I hate the reduced "Cowboy" loads. Some are so wimpy you have to check to see if the bullet actually cleared the barrel. Simply because of cost, if you don't get a .22 (Ruger has just come out with a new Single Ten), then get a .357 so you can shoot .38s in it. Or, a convertible and shoot the even cheaper 9mm stuff. Folks who haven't shot SA guns haven't experienced the true fun of shooting yet!