Academy Sports coming to Knoxville

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife just told me she saw a sign for Academy Sports being built on Kingston Pike just west of Cedar Bluff Rd. I know a lot of people in Knoxville will be glad to see them come. I am

A couple of weeks ago my wife called my cell to tell me she had just seen in the newspaper that Academy had bought land in Knoxville and I meant to post something here about it. Did I forget? I guess so. Dangit. Anyhow, it is great news. I have been to both of the ones in the Chattanooga area a couple of times each and like those stores a lot. I have a feeling that, once they are here, I will probably rarely darken the door at Gander Mountain any more. There is already no reason for me to go into Dick's since they got rid of firearms and fishing related things.

Guest nysos

Good news indeed, anyone know when they are supposed to open? I have seen plenty of decent deals online, would be great to have a store to go in locally.

You folks in Knox will be happy when they are done building.

They destroy walmart and dick's in prices. Not even worth comparison shopping anymore.

Hibbitt sports and Gander Mtn might as well just close their doors now...they are literally obsolete compared to Academy.

You folks in Knox will be happy when they are done building.

They destroy walmart and dick's in prices. Not even worth comparison shopping anymore. ..

Well, not on ammo most of the time. If it's in stock, Wally's is generally cheaper for same or equivalent.

Case in point, bought Monarch .223 on sale at Academy the other day, 4.99 + fee + tax. Tula .223 was cheaper regular price at Wally's, but they were out of stock. Federal .357 was cheaper at Wally's (and in stock) than any .357 at Academy period.

- OS

Glad Dick's and Gouger Mtn will get some competition. Sure wish they'd put it somewhere other than Kingston Pike.

Location won't be bad, you can get off the interstate at cedar bluff and avoid all but 1/4mi of Kingston Pike. Could be worse, at least it's not in Turkey Creek

Well, not on ammo most of the time. If it's in stock, Wally's is generally cheaper for same or equivalent.

Case in point, bought Monarch .223 on sale at Academy the other day, 4.99 + fee + tax. Tula .223 was cheaper regular price at Wally's, but they were out of stock. Federal .357 was cheaper at Wally's (and in stock) than any .357 at Academy period.

- OS

I agree with you as far as ammo Wally has in stock. As far as ammo goes, the thing that I like getting from Academy is the Monarch 9mm Makarov ammo. I really enjoy shooting my CZ 82 - possibly more than I enjoy shooting any other semiauto handgun I own and almost as much as I enjoy shooting revolvers. The best price I can find on ammo around here, though, tends to be 18 to 20 bucks a box. Academy has their Monarch brand for about half that and (at least in 9X18) it is pretty good stuff for shooting paper. I don't shoot the CZ all that much, despite really liking it, due to local prices for ammo and the fact that I don't get to the Academy in Chattanooga very often. The place where I work is off Lovell Road so it will be maybe 10 minutes out of my way to swing by the new Knoxville Academy after work on the way home.

Wally, for whatever reason, has also stopped stocking PDX1 in .38. The first place I bought that particular kind of ammo was at Wally then, after I decided it would be my carry ammo for the S&W 642, they quit stocking it. I don't recall having ever seen it at Gouger Mountain (although I haven't been in there for a few weeks.) I ended up driving up to Bass Pro to get more. IIRC, Academy had it in stock the last time I was there.

Edited by JAB
Guest bkelm18

I actually like Gander Mountain. Their prices on guns and ammo are ridiculous for sure, but most of their other stuff, especially the camping/outdoors stuff, is pretty much in line with all the other shops.

I actually like Gander Mountain. Their prices on guns and ammo are ridiculous for sure, but most of their other stuff, especially the camping/outdoors stuff, is pretty much in line with all the other shops.

Agreed.

Location won't be bad, you can get off the interstate at cedar bluff and avoid all but 1/4mi of Kingston Pike. Could be worse, at least it's not in Turkey Creek

Yeah, but it'll take 20 minutes to traverse that 1/4 mile. And yes, Turkey Creek would be worse. But I'd say Academy couldn't / wouldn't afford the rent there.

Nahhh it's not that bad, just don't try to go at 5:00, I know I drive it every day. Logistically I don't know where else they could build it without being way out.

As far as when they will open, it's hard to say, they are currently grading the lot. So they have a ways to go yet

They sell Stevens 200's for under $200 all the time. They are Savage model 10's without the accutrigger, just as accurate and accept all the upgrades a Savage will. Not to be confused with the Axis/Edge which is not upgradeable or at least not as much. Can't wait. Actually I can because I will go broke when they open up. Dolomite

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bulluck533

Well its not coming till July of 2012 so hold your horses. haha Only complaint with the academy is they do not stock high end handguns. they usually max out around $600. They do have the best selection in fishing period. Gander is going to be hurting bad.

Guest bkelm18

Actually had the chance to visit one of their stores in Chattanooga today. They do have awesome prices on ammo and pretty good prices on firearms. Other than that, if you're not into playing sports, the store doesn't offer much else. In most respects, I still like Gander/Bass Pro better. They are geared more toward outdoorsmen.

My only complaint about Academy is they do not sell any hand loading supplies.

Nuts.

I hope they rectify that someday. Finding handloading equipment and supplies arround here is sort of hit & miss and much of it over priced.