Self Defense Dream

Guest Risky Ruger

Guest Risky Ruger

OK...so read and tell me if you've ever had this dream.

Scenario is usually different, but longstory short....I'm in a situation where I have to protect myself or someone. I pull my pistol, but something's always wrong. Either the trigger sticks, its not loaded, can't get it out of the holster....etc. I usually wake up before something wild or deadly happens, but it troubles me that I wake up disappoint that I can't do what needs to be done to protect myself.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't put too much into it myself. However if you're worried about your ability to act in these types of situations, do some force on force training with someone like Tactical Response or DTI. This will give you an opportunity to actually react to situations as realistically as possible.

Our department shrink said that gun malfunctions in dreams are pretty common for cops. He said go to the range the next day and shoot your gun. You will eventually be convinced your gun will work, and the dreams will stop. If you have malfunctions at the range; buy a new gun and move on.

I guess the same thing would apply here.

Guest USMC0311

I always need another magazine. Im my dream I hit the "bad guy" with 2 full mags, and reach for my 3rd and its not there. Bad guy must be a crack head.

Guest biohazardmatthew
A common theme in mine is the trigger pull is like 50 lbs. I really don't think to much about it. I'm no Freud, it's just a dream.

Same for me too.

OK...so read and tell me if you've ever had this dream.

Scenario is usually different, but longstory short....I'm in a situation where I have to protect myself or someone. I pull my pistol, but something's always wrong. Either the trigger sticks, its not loaded, can't get it out of the holster....etc. I usually wake up before something wild or deadly happens, but it troubles me that I wake up disappoint that I can't do what needs to be done to protect myself.

Any thoughts?

Get rid of the HiPoint pistol.
No if it was a HiPoint it would be heavy and ugly, but it would go bang!

This.

The HiPoint nightmare is slightly different. In that dream you're not strong enough to physically pick the gun up off the nightstand.

Got kids? If not wait til you have dreams about all the ways you might screw that up. At least with most SD dreams, it's usually something out of your control or uncommon. To me it shows dedication and desire to do well/right. We all keep practicing, so we're as prepared as we can be. So it's only natural to worry about the things we can't control, even though everyone says not to do it.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Picture the bad guy in his underwear

Too funny, Hipster!

No if it was a HiPoint it would be heavy and ugly, but it would go bang!

It would go bang AND it will hit what you aim at AND if you buy ammo with the money you save, it'll make you a better shooter

Nope, but it was a dream that finally motivated me to get my HCP in the first place. I had been in a couple of uncomfortable situations, in real life, where I was by myself and really wished I was carrying. Because of those, I had intended to get my HCP for a long time but I had not done so. Then, one night I had a nightmare that my wife and I were together in a store when some nutjob started shooting people randomly. In the dream, he kneecapped me but didn't kill me - so there was nothing I could do but watch when he executed my wife. Then, he looked at me and said, "Naw, I ain't gonna kill you. I'm gonna let you live with that memory."

Now, it wasn't that I thought the dream might literally come true that pushed me to get my HCP. Instead, it was the possibility that a more realistic life and death situation might arise and I would be just as powerless to protect my wife or another loved one from an armed assailant as I was in the dream. After that nightmare, I took the HCP test the next time it was offered at my favorite LGS.

I have since had other SD dreams/nightmares but in them my firearm always works and I and mine come out safe and [physically] unharmed.