Flash your Head Lights

vontar

Flash your Head Lights in Fl. to warn other drivers of Speed traps and get a ticket.

If it not against the law and you will get a ticket. Take it to court and the judge will toss it under freedom of speech. However they will keep writing the tickets

There is a class action lawsuit to try and stop it.

Class-action suit filed against cops

Headlight flash cop warning: Is flashing your headlights illegal or a free speech issue? - Orlando Sentinel

As co worker and I talked about it and my co worker put it this way. He said the point of a speed trap should be to get traffic to slow down and not to fund the budget. So if other cars warn other drivers about a speed trap and they slow down the primary mission is still down. If Law enforcement is upset that they are not able to fund their budget by writing speeding ticket and are now writing these non moving violations in place of the speeding tickets seems they are less concerned with safety and more concerned with the budget anyways which proves the the whole point that they are not out to begin with trying to get people to slow down for safety but only to raise money.

Per wiki,

I always considered it might be against the law so I won't speak about myself

however I just looked at wiki

there is a break down by state. Wiki thinks FL it is against the law.

In Tennessee, flashing headlights to warn oncoming traffic of a police car ahead is protected free speech under the First Amendment to the United States

Also, I would not bet the farm on wiki as a legal source.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Drewsett

I'm pretty sure there was a case involving a Franklin man a few years back that ended up setting a precedent here. At least I remember reading something to that effect at the time.

I don't flash because I believe a lot of criminals are caught on routine traffic stops. If they are stupid enough to speed while hauling a ton of cocaine or marijuana they need to get busted. You never know who you tip off to a police presence when you flash lights at a stranger.

-southernasylum

How true!

Is it prevention or detection? Are they trying to makes the roads safer by preventing people from driving too fast, or are they simply trying to catch people speeding?

I typically do flash my lights when I see a cop hiding behind something. If they're sitting out in plain view, I don't.

I had no idea flashing lights is (or even could be) against the law. I'd also not thought of criminals being caught by routine stops. That's definitely something to consider.

I don't flash because I believe a lot of criminals are caught on routine traffic stops. If they are stupid enough to speed while hauling a ton of cocaine or marijuana they need to get busted. You never know who you tip off to a police presence when you flash lights at a stranger.

-southernasylum

+1 I use to flash my lights all the time. Then I started thinking about it. What if that guy is wanted for murder or kidnapping, and I just helped him get away?

I used to flash my lights but quit...not for any noble purpose...but for the simple fact it probably doesn't do any good anymore. Mody people are too freakin' stoopid to even know what it means. Same thing goes for people driving with no headlights. They haven't a clue.

I hate to be such a jerk, but what do I care if someone gets a ticket? I have found as I have gotten older, that the best way to get out of paying a speeding ticket, is to NOT SPEED! If you're running late, you should have left earlier. Just because I don't like a law doesn't mean I have a right to break it. I have had my share of tickets, only one in the last decade. If I get pulled over, I let the cop write the ticket and I pay it because I was breaking the law, and that's the end of it.

I wouldn't flash my lights for that reason and for a few others. People are insane. Some gangbanger might take offense and who knows where that'd lead. Southernasylum is spot on, and I'm sorry but I am a jerk. I have to pay my speeding tickets, so does everyone else.

I grew up in a small town in West TN. The town is so small they have 3 cop cars. My dad was leaving for work one morning at 5AM. He saw a cop car and as he always does, be flashed his lights at the oncoming car. It happened to be the only other cop working at that time of the morning. My dad actually flashed his brights instead of flashing on and off as most people do. The cop gave him a ticket for flashing bright lights within 50 feet of another vehicle and said he could have written a ticket for obstruction of justice.

There are cases were flashing head lights could be totally warranty though. Such as an accident or other road hazards around a sharp curve and you try to get on coming cars to slow down before they come up on it.

This is true. I have flashed my lights at cars when I've passed cyclists or groups of children playing.

I don't flash my lights. there is a reason speed limits are set where they are. after having over 12 different friends and family die in car crashes and after watching a train take out a bronco because the kids were trying to out run it (knocked this kids head clean off his shoulders) I am not going to try and look out for other people who can not keep it at a reasonable speed. I don't want to be the one who flashes my lights at a drug dealer or some drunk fool giving them a heads up.

When I used to drive over the road years ago, we were told that there were gangs that were

purposely driving at night without their lights on waiting for someone to flash their lights at them.

Then the ones that flashed would be targets for a drive-by.

BTW, when you do flash, and sometimes it's ok to, turn them off and on to flash.

Don't hit your high beams.

Edited by fivestring63

I for one appreciate when someone flashes me. I try to stay at the speed limit, but there are times that I drift off the mark, especially if the road seems like the limit should be higher. I'm sure I've avoided a ticket or two thanks to another driver.

As far as the gangs and headlights thing, insn't that just an Urban Legend? Has anyone ever had tht happen to them or someone they personally know?

If this is the method of top notch police work catching criminals, That’s laughable not to mention lazy.

It’s not lazy or laughable; it’s just a proven fact.

Fugitives and those with warrants are arrested on “routine†traffic stops. Drugs are most vulnerable to detection when being transported in a vehicle. Burglars in your neighborhood are detected and arrested using traffic stops.

Police hiding is not for public safety it is all about budget only, Don’t color me a hater just yet. Let’s apply a little common sense, you only hide because you are being dishonest criminal or general traffic cop. If it is about public safety a police car in plain view will slow down speed problems.

I agree with that. Police Traffic and District Patrol vehicles should be marked and highly visible. I use to sit out in the wide open with my radar set at 20 over and get better stops (Warrants, DUI) than the guys hiding and setting their radar at 12 over.

Plain cars and traffic cameras go against everything that is taught in traffic enforcement. They are purely revenue generators that serve no safety purpose to the public. You need to keep that in mind when electing your officials that condone their use.

Now having said that I don’t have a problem with their use. I’m a property owner and I know the government is going to get X amount of taxes. The more jobs we lose the higher that amount is going to go. I’d rather they get it from people that can’t drive than raise my property taxes.

Now as far as flashing lights…. I don’t do it because I have been the one sitting behind that radar gun and I know that I don’t want a cop’s attention for any reason. Do whatever you are ready to take responsibility for. :)

Sorry Dave we have a different opinion on what is top notch police work, while I agree with a traffic stop producing a criminal occasionally, I be willing to bet that the number is super low just a guess but out of 100 people in a regular traffic stop only a very, very few were real criminals, my guess is most are people able to pay fines to keep the income rolling in.

That’s okay, different opinions is what it’s all about. Your opinion and your statistics on traffic stops and criminal arrests are based on what?

Giving some young traffic officer the ability to shake down lots of tax paying citizens in hopes of finding one petty criminal and getting his brownie points and image on the news isn't worth it to me.

Your Police Chief or Sherriff is responsible for assigning Officers based on the needs of your community. Is there a group in your community that kills and injures more people than traffic offenders? If so, you need to present that information to your Chief or Sherriff.

Until there is a crime reported or there is obvious reasons to shake them down. I say more detective work is needed, certainly wouldn't say a lucky traffic stop is top notch police work. And that is where we differ.

Unfortunately most Police work is reactive; a crime has been committed and the Police react (Burglary, Armed Robbery). Some Officers are Proactive and get the bad guys before they kill you or your family (DUI and traffic, which also can lead to armed robbers and burglars). I am absolutely sure of this because I have experienced it myself.

Again don't color me a hater, Just applying common sense and human nature to the subject at hand.

I know…. You said that before.

And this is why I don't do it ........ I shouldn't even be posting my opinion in mixed company, but it is the lest I can do for my country other than send my son off to a worthless war.

Why are you in mixed company? And why should we care who you are? :screwy:

I thank your son for his service. I know that must be very hard on you.