Can you shoot 3" groups at 10 yards with an LCP?

Will Carry

I just want to know how bad of a shot I am. I cannot shoot 3" groups with my little pocket 380 at 30 feet nor at 21 feet. Yet I was chastised by a friend who says, "It's only 30 feet.I can shoot 5" groups rapid fire with my LCP at 30 feet".

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to know how bad of a shot I am. I cannot shoot 3" groups with my little pocket 380 at 30 feet nor at 21 feet. Yet I was chastised by a friend who says, "It's only 30 feet.I can shoot 5" groups rapid fire with my LCP at 30 feet".

I don't know if I can, but I can come close, probably. I don't have a Ruger but I used to have a Kel-Tec. I never measured the groups, but I could shoot fairly small groups with it at 21 feet.

However, your friend's claim sounds a little fishy. I have heard all sorts of claims from people, but then when you ask them to show you, they can't do it, but always have some excuse. I would ask him to demonstrate it.

at my range in my back yard my first mark is 35 feet, cannot do 3'' groups with lcp or pf-9. at 7 yards 21 feet on a good day yes but rare, i shoot alot but ime being honest, i find it hard to believe 5'' groups rapid fire but if he can that is great trigger control for a lcp.

Edited by johnk4jmk
spelling
Guest gw2and4
...I was chastised by a friend who says, "It's only 30 feet.I can shoot 5" groups rapid fire with my LCP at 30 feet".

I call BS. Sure, there are people out there who could do it. But in my experience, someone who talks like that can rarely place their bullets where their mouth is. Unless their definition of "rapid fire" is one round every two seconds without using a rest. LOL

The LCP is designed for up close and personal encounters on the street...not a target pistol for bullseye competitions. I'd be happy with a 12" group at 10 yards to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone 4

yep.....but mine has a laser and if I take my time.......

I think that's the key. Have a CT on my lcp and it's pretty useful. I've tinkered with it and have poa and poi set for 25 ft. I figure that's about max distance me me and this little pocket pistol. I've not measured groups with it, but I'll have to try now. Slow fire...maybe...rapid fire, not sure I can. But gonna try.

How many shots define a group?... 3?... 5?...10? Five consecutive 5 shot groups?

I can't say I've ever really tried for maximum accuracy with my P3AT. "Minute of paper plate" while shooting just under 1/sec is good enough for me. I might be able to shoot 3" groups at 10 yds when really taking my time, but that's not what the gun is for. I did get just under 3" with my P85 at 25 yds, bulls eye style.

As for your friend... Let's see his targets.

I would consider a 5" group at 10 yards fired in rapid fire a great group. I don't care if it is 3 shots or 5 shots. It probably boils down to his definition of "rapid fire".

I know if I am practicing at 7 yards I am happy with 5" groups but I am practicing drawing and firing two shots on target as quickly as I can.

And honestly for a self defense gun as long as it is minute of bad guy what does it matter. My wife's PF-9 doesn't shoot anywhere near as accurately as my 1911 I carry gun can. But I feel the PF-9 is a good self defense gun because ir is more than capable of hitting the target at likely engagment distances.

Don't get to hung up on accuracy. As long as you are capable of drawing and hitting your target at 7 yards and under you are doing good. I would say use a 12" paper plate as your target and if you can hit it regularly you are doing good.

The LCP is not a target gun, it is a defense gun.

Dolomite

The only reason I have that target is when I get any new carry gun I shoot first for reliabilty, second reliability of carry ammo, third draw and point shoot for COM, last I do like to put up a target and shoot a mag of the defensive ammo for accuracey I will run for a group to see how the gun, ammo and myself perform in target enviroment. That is just me though.

When I practice it is about draw and shots on target. if I am on paper consistantly I am acomplishing my task.

Guest Aces&8s

I have not shot the LCP, but I do have a PF-9, and I would be very happy with the target you posted. As so many others have said before, everything about these pistols, from the somewhat rudimentary sights to the small form factor, hence the short sight radius, demonstrate that they are designed for concealment and use at conversational distances, not bench rest competitions. So long as you can put all your shots in center mass under stress, you are good to go.

As for your friend and his comments, one should always take such with a grain of salt. Sounds like your friend may have an unrealistic idea of how long a foot actually is... his wife might be able to confirm this.

There are guys who sit around the local gun store here who can shot golf balls with one at 100 yds, although I've yet to actually witness it.

1000 rounds of ammo and I might get lucky.....:)

Never fired a LCP. I have practiced with LCR, PF9 and Beretta .25 and I feel very confident I could do 3" groups with 5-6 seconds between shots.

However, I am accustomed to competition shooting. Defensive shooting is another story and I would be doing good to get center mass with rapid fire.

A golfball at 100 yards? I doubt I could pull that off with any handgun.

Edited by Baron

I just shot my P3AT on Thursday. I think the pocket .380s are mechanically capable of accuracy but you'd have to buy or reload a lot of .380 to shoot them to their potential. I can do maybe a 4" group at 7 yards if I take the time to find the front sight each time and focus on pushing straight back which can be difficult since the LOP is so short and the gun jumps around a little in my hand. I actually shoot my P3AT significantly better than the LCP I had and I think it's because the rougher texture keeps it from jumping so much but I still have a problem finding the front sight. That's definitely the biggest limitation for me. If I do anything remotely close to rapid fire, (say a second or two within each shot) my groups are probably 7-8" or so, and usually low since I don't find the front site easily. As for the front site, I've thought about painting mine with hobby paint but just haven't gotten around to it. I usually carry a Glock and the only time I carry my .380 as a primary is if I'm running/cycling or doing something else where the weight of a better gun would keep me from carrying. I got rid of my LCP because I found it unpleasant and wasn't happy with my accuracy. I ended up picking up the P3AT just to have something to carry while exercising and although I've been tempted to move up to a PF9 or a Ruger LCR (with one of the huge front sites), I just don't think they're small or light enough to serve role of my P3AT. I really want to like the LCR and it's probably light enough for a cycling jersey pocket, but not light enough for running. As far as casual carry goes, I can just about always carry at least my Glock 26 and if I'm wearing pants that will carry an LCR I could probably carry my mean green 26. Sorry for straying off topic but I've been round and round in my head about keeping or dumping my little .380 and I just don't think there's anything that I'd replace it with for the purpose it serves for me. I don't love it but I I probably wouldn't really be too enthusastic about any of the small pocket pistols and, mine has been reliable for me. It seems all the .380 pocket pistols are "hit and miss" when it comes to reliability. Since I've got one that works, I'll probably keep it.

I’m skeptical of the 3’ at 10 yard’s claim with the LCP, mine is a really fine OD/BUG that has proven its reliability. It also has next to nothing with regard to sights on it as well as a minimalist grip that makes it less than comfortable to shoot. That said I can qualify with it and keep rounds in the silhouette target, it’s a wide group but still there. I consider the LCP more of a 7 yard and in pistol but 10 yard’s is fine for defensive work.

As to the PF-9, it’s a hair and some air better in the sights and handling category with a slightly better trigger pull then the Lc9. Where the Lc9 comes into its own though is with a more comfortable grip, better sights and ease of shooting. As to what that comes down to: a 9x19 pistol that produces about the same groups as my LCP. Yep. I stuck with the LCP for pocket carry.

... my little .380 and I just don't think there's anything that I'd replace it with for the purpose it serves for me. I don't love it but I I probably wouldn't really be too enthusastic about any of the small pocket pistols and, mine has been reliable for me. It seems all the .380 pocket pistols are "hit and miss" when it comes to reliability. Since I've got one that works, I'll probably keep it.

I think that's the key for most of us. Size...comfort and ease of carry...and reliability. You got one that works for you. Keep it.

I've been involved in the hunt for the "perferct pocket carry gun" and I don't know that it exists. There will almost always be some form of compromise involved, whether it be size or caliber. For me, for now, until I find something better...it's the LCP.

JMO

Your post made me curious, so I gave it a try this morning. I wasn't happy with the 10 yard groups, always having one stray flier, shooter induced I'm sure. Anyway, here's my attempt at a 7 yard group. Not quite 3", but close. The cold hard truth is that I need to practice...A LOT!!!

IMG_1751.jpg

I cannot. Honestly I do not think the lcp can even BE rapid fired... your friend must be able to pick up like 50 pounds with his trigger finger to do that. The only small gun I could do 3 inches with is my makarov, which has had some trigger mods & is scary accurate. I can keep that one in the black of a 25 yard NRA target at 25 (slowfire target). And I can do it with large frame guns, but that is not really too difficult.