Best 9mm to learn to shoot for a newbie

sschrick

Got a buddy coming into town and want to take him shooting. It would be his first time.

going to a range that has a large assortment of rentals.

what would be your suggestions for easiest pistols for him to shoot. . .Ruger, Sig, S&W, Springfield, Glock, Beretta, other. . .

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's NEVER shot anything before maybe start with a couple of full size .22s. Start off with something least likely to induce flinch, blinking or other flaws, get some good technique down, then switch to 9mm.

have him hold them all and see which one fits his hand the best. they all make good pistols.

Concur. Then go shoot the ones he likes best. Again I'd avoid the stubby barrels for first rounds.

Good Luck!

Edited by Dave Shooter

If you go to Coal Creek I think they will let you swap rental guns as many times as you want.

Main thing is you show them how to load and safely handle whatever they pick, easy part is pointing it down rang and pulling the trigger. I would let them start with a revolver of some sort, new shooters with weak 115gr 9mm range ammo and semi-autos can lead to limp wrisitng jams and thats pretty frustrating to a new shooter. If it must be a semi-auto ia full size 92 Beretta is always a good start..

Guest pfries

Start with a full size, any model will do, let you Buddy know the smaller and lighter the gun the snappier it is likley to behave when fired. Beyond that if he is not afraid of firearms the 9mm should not be more than he is expecting.

Just my :)

He'll probably be hooked after the first magazine!!! Nothing will put a smile on your face like a 45!!!

See if they have a 9mm 1911(which I think is sacrilege but to each his own) 9mm cheaper to shoot.

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone

If he's NEVER shot anything before maybe start with a couple of full size .22s. Start off with something least likely to induce flinch, blinking or other flaws, get some good technique down, then switch to 9mm.

Concur. Then go shoot the ones he likes best. Again I'd avoid the stubby barrels for first rounds.

Good Luck!

+1 to dubaholic2 and +1 to Dave Shooter

That is a pair of great ideas!

If you go to Coal Creek I think they will let you swap rental guns as many times as you want.

Main thing is you show them how to load and safely handle whatever they pick, easy part is pointing it down rang and pulling the trigger. I would let them start with a revolver of some sort, new shooters with weak 115gr 9mm range ammo and semi-autos can lead to limp wrisitng jams and thats pretty frustrating to a new shooter. If it must be a semi-auto ia full size 92 Beretta is always a good start..

The only downside is that you have to buy their ammo, which is marked up a bit more than Walmart.

The good side is that they have a plethora of 9x19mms to choose from, meaning that for the cost of a couple of boxes of ammo you can shoot a Glock, a Dan Wesson 1911, a Beretta and a Sig all in the same caliber without having to buy another.

The only downside is that you have to buy their ammo, which is marked up a bit more than Walmart.

The good side is that they have a plethora of 9x19mms to choose from, meaning that for the cost of a couple of boxes of ammo you can shoot a Glock, a Dan Wesson 1911, a Beretta and a Sig all in the same caliber without having to buy another.

13.00 for a box of blazer or PMC at Coal Creek isnt that bad really, seen some other ranges around sell the same for 14-15.00 a box. Cant blame them for not wanting people to shoot unknown ammo in their rentals, that and they have to make some money I guess :)

I took a buddy (24 years old) shooting for the first time 2 weeks ago. He shot 4" .357 magnum first, then 38 snub nose, then .45 1911, 40 sigma.

If the new shooter isn't scared of guns or timid, I'd just start with a glock and then swap them out. As long as he practices good gun safety recoil isn't going to hurt him.

Be sure to explain everything. Sometimes we take certain safety and shooting techniques for granted that a new shooter might not know. Even if I think they 'do' know I tell them again anyway.

Sent from my Mom's basement

...My first gun to shoot was a 6in S&W .357......I was 9. (thanks dad) No need to go easy with a .22 IMO.......he's a guy not a girl. No need for being gentle. [bold added]

No women on TGO? Shall this pass without reproof? :D

...Nothing will put a smile on your face like a 45!!!

Agreed!

No women on TGO? Shall this pass without reproof? :D

Agreed!

Its not a gender issue... its a new shooter issue. Lot of men who have not been around guns prefer a more gentle starter once the thrill of making a loud noise wears off and the goal of actually hitting the target becomes of interest. At that point plenty of men move to a .22 or gentle 9 to work on their skills. Almost every guy I have introduced to shooting has wanted to try one of my .44s. None of them have wanted to use that to work on accuracy or technique. And once the reality of the cost of ammo hits home, most do end up using a .22 more often than not.

If they have one I would start him out on a Beretta 92fs/M9. No, I am not trying to ignite another "which is better" battle, but the Beretta is a sexy handgun with a mad reputation from being the military's sidearm to the Die Hard and Lethal Weapon movies. It is perfect for hooking a new shooter like I did last week with my father in law. He loved it, but I made sure to tell him when he went to buy that he needed to get what fit him the best. He ended up choosing a Ruger.

Not saying Beretta makes the best full size 9mm, but it is certainly the most recognizable, and has the coolest look to it. The 1911 9mm would be cool too, but their capacity is a bit limited, and you need that massive fun factor when hooking new shooters.