Ruger LCR Anything bad?

graycrait

I have an LCR .22 and a LCR .38. I really like these. I am thinking about figuring out how to trade for another LCR. Has anyone heard bad stuff about these. I've shot several hundred rounds through each and the only small negative is that the reset is a bit quicker on the S&Ws.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an LCR .22 and a LCR .38. I really like these. I am thinking about figuring out how to trade for another LCR. Has anyone heard bad stuff about these. I've shot several hundred rounds through each and the only small negative is that the reset is a bit quicker on the S&Ws.

What?

You already have 2 LCR's and you are asking for feedback? Shouldn't we be asking you?

That being said, I love my LCR.

Reset may be the wrong word but I can shoot my S&W 49 faster than the LCRs or even my .38 SP101. However, that isn't a big deal. The trigger stroke is shorter on the S&W, but I love the long smooth DAO trigger on the LCR. I suspect the .357 LCR may be more than I want to handle if my experience with utlra light J-frame .357s is any indication. Don't need the pain, flash, noise of the .357 in that small of a package. I'm not hunting deer with the thing, just saving my butt, theoretically.

Love my LCR 38... and no I have heard almost no negative feedback about them, except some of the silly colors they are coming out with.

While the reset is slightly faster on the S&Ws, the trigger is much better on the LCR.

I'd actually like to hear your feedback on the .22. Thinking about one, but wondering how accurate and ammo sensitive it is?

I got the .22 LCR as a training gun for my wife. She is gangbusters with her Ruger 5.5" but still has issues with recoil and sight picture with center fires. Trying to get her to concentrate more using the DAO .22 revolver. I got the .38 for her to transition with after shooting my friend's .38 LCR quite a bit. She has her choice of quite a few pistols and revolvers once she commits to getting serious about self defense carry.

The most fun I have had with a .22 lately (and I currently have 23 .22s) is shooting the .22 LCR using 375fps 20 grain Colibras without ear protection. Why would anyone want a S&W 317 or the never to be seen S&W 43C for quite a bit more money? I've shot the 317 quite a bit but haven't laid hands on a 43C. I like plastic and innovation, so will personally pass on the two J-frame S&Ws in .22LR. I like S&W products, even still have a couple, but S&W needs to get their proverbial s... together.

I have an LCR .357 and it's great. Gold Dot short barrel magnums aren't at all to much to handle. Golden Sabers work well too. 158 grain full magnum loads are more recoil than I like when shot in the LCR. What I like about the .357 LCR is the stainless steel frame as opposed to aluminum and the fact that I can shoot an array of ammo in it.

I've had my LCR (38) with CT laser grips for at least a couple of years now...although I don't "consider" it to be my primary carry weapon it's the one that is actually with me the most! :D

It's been absolutely trouble free and totally reliable and although the venerable 38 special is not the biggest round on the block, it can get the job done with manageable recoil. Now, I would never suggest it's the most enjoyable gun I have to shoot but I think for a small yet powerful carry weapon (BUG or primary), it is very difficult to beat.

Guest RebelWithACause

I just recently picked up an LCR. I put a set of Crimson Trace laser grips on it, and it makes the concealment profile a lot easier to deal with compared to the pillow sized Hogue tamers that were on it. (The Hogues made it a joy to shoot at the range, though. The CT grips are a little harsh for shooting all day, but this isn't a gun to shoot all day. It's a self defense handgun to shoot if/when needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the LCR 357 Mag and recoil with the magnum loads is harsh. The 125 g HP is not quite as harsh as the 158g HP. Regular 38 spec and P+ are plesant. Accuracy with 38 spec's are centered on target at 10 yds while P+ and 357 mag are low right for me. Grouping is 2" or less. Great gun and plan on carrying with P+ loads.

For the first time, Saturday, I carried the LCR .38 all day in an OWB holster that works for both the LCR and my SP101. I had to check every once in a while that I still had the LCR on my hip, I kept thinking I didn't have a gun on me, but it was there. My current small guns are: Diamondback DB9, Keltec .32 hardchrome, S&W 49, 2 G26's, SP101 .38, Taurus PLY22. I'm having a hard time deciding which is better, Diamondback or LCR for running down to the grocery store.

Guest RebelWithACause

My only issue with my LCR is me. I am a good shooter with most anything, but I'm not consistently accurate with this gun. Every time I seem to think I have the point of aim all dialed in, it just seems to go nuts. I know it's probably just me and the fact that I am most used to full size semi autos, but wow... I've dumped probably 300 rounds of ammo through it and am just not feeling a lot of love for my accuracy. (And yes, I have CTC laser grips on it, too.)

I bought the model with the Trijicon front sight, and I'm starting to wonder if I might be getting the sight picture all screwed up. Dunno. Pretty frustrating.

Other than that, the action is great and I love the trigger pull. It's the right size and weight, but it's not too fun to shoot at the range for any extended period of time.

My carry ammo is Hornady Critical Defense +p...and the ammo I've been using for training is Remington 125gr SJHP +p I bought in bulk. (I wanted to simulate the actual handling characteristics of my carry ammo as closely as possible and still be economically feasible.)

Any thoughts?

RebelWAC,

You’ve already figured out what your problem is and it’s the front sight you selected. Parallax problems make it horribly difficult to shoot accurately. Find someone who has an LCR with the standard front sight on it and run a box of ammunition through it to see what happens. Once you’ve proven the front sight to be the problem either trade the LCR for one with a standard front sight or replace the front sight.

I’ve had nearly the same problems with shotgun bead front sights and rifle sights with the worst problems with large aperture rear peep sights. The human eye and its focal planes are far too complex for some rudimentary fixed optical systems to interface properly. Nothing is broken or wrong, it’s just the way things are, regroup and use something else.

A great forum: Where you go to ask a question and find the answer already there (and on the top thread even).

In LCR, gave the .357 to the father-in-law and .22 to the wife on the same day ~three weeks ago. Both love 'em. Wife REALLY loves hers. (Or maybe men don't let on as much?)

So the .357 is a surprisingly pleasant shoot, reliable, no problems at all. The .22 is just fun. (...for the few cylinders of 500 rounds gone through it she's let me shoot.) Father-in-law gets his CCP in two weeks, wife this week.

The problem is with her FTF rate, consistently ~5% with each of Remington TBolt, Win Wildcat and Mini-Mags. Of the FTFs, about half have noticeably lighter firing pin marks. So I came here this evening to ask if others had this experience, but it's clear the answer is 'no' -- and this gun needs to go back for some work.

Thanks for the help.

My carry ammo is Hornady Critical Defense +p...and the ammo I've been using for training is Remington 125gr SJHP +p I bought in bulk. (I wanted to simulate the actual handling characteristics of my carry ammo as closely as possible and still be economically feasible.)

Any thoughts?

If you haven't already, you might want to try shooting the Critical Defense and the Remington ammo back to back to see if they really do 'handle' the same, see if accuracy is comparable and so on.

My carry ammo in my 642 is Winchester PDX1 .38 +P (130 grain, IIRC.) It uses a bonded JHP. I also have some Winchester White Box in (I believe) 125 grain .38 +P. The bullet in it is labelled as 'JHP' on the box but looks more like a SJHP, to me. The white box stuff kicks like a mule, makes accuracy difficult and is generally unpleasant to shoot. The PDX1 is much more controllable, has less felt recoil and shoots more accurately, for me. Just a thought.

You guys got to be kidding. Even the Glock 17 got some bad reviews. Ya'll are saying that this Ruger plastic revolver is a great gun? All of you! This is a first for me and it makes me want to buy a plastic revolver. Somebody slap me!

Yeah about perfect, I short stroke the hell out of the trigger. I actually let a coworker whos a Cop and a Glock hater(he carrs a G22) borrow my SW 642 and he complained about the missfires when he short stroked the trigger. I can't imagine what he would do with my LCR.