Why do motorcycle drivers rev their engines?

I am a pretty good mechanic , at least that is what my friends and all think . So I know a good deal of mechanic work. So why is it that a motorcycle driver (yes a driver not a rider , because a driver is in control) revs his engine at a stop light while standing still ? If your engine is in that bad of condition to where you have to rev it constantly , then you may need help . This is just a thought and wonder to me . I do ride motorcycles and and work on almost all engines but this "rev rev and rev" at every street light is annoying . Just my $.02 .

Guest A10thunderbolt

Well I don't do it at every light!

I used to do it just before taking off because my carburetor would stumble from a low idle, probably dirty or something, then it just became a habit.

Guest A10thunderbolt

That rumble in you chest is addicting, Kind of gives you a grin like standing next to a funny car in a garage, you just cant help smiling.

I assume it's for the same reason people put whale tails on a Dodge Neon or those tin can mufflers on their Nissan Sentra or crank their radio up until their tail light covers are rattling. They want some attention.

• Like 3

I guess the same reason they speed, split lanes, weave in and out of traffic, go on the wrong side of the road on curvy roads, and put loud pipes on them.

EDIT>>> BigK posted his while I was typing mine. I have a motorcycle license and used to ride some, but the irresponsible and annoying behavior of so many riders turned me off from ever dropping the cash on a bike.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

There is a difference between revving during a light and a blip of the throttle before pulling out from a stop. I blip the throttle but revving, nah. I already know I'm faster than any car that might be around me and I'd say every one else would know it to. B-)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Guest A10thunderbolt

"I assume it's for the same reason people put whale tails on a Dodge Neon or those tin can mufflers on their Nissan Sentra or crank their radio up until their tail light covers are rattling. They want some attention."

Maybe, but I do it when I'm all by my self. :screwy:

I might be a little off when it comes to engines though, I will play with a 40Hp kohler small engine just as fast as a chevy 350.

because for most guys, most days, its as good as it gonna get. Yes, I ride, and I "blip" just to feel the rumble (6" RoadHouse Classic on mine). Most of the time, at that moment, that bike is my best friend ever.

I do sometimes when it's cold due to the carburetor, just to keep it warm. Otherwise, I think it's annoying. It's kinda like the guys at the gas station who have to leave their radios playing in order to mark their territory.

Guest A10thunderbolt

Wow, just wow I am sure some people may do it to get attention, but like I said I actually love motorcycles and anything else with an internal combustion engine it has nothing to do with getting attention.

Why else would you do it when you were alone, just like the way it sounds.

Over the years I have lived next to two people who were weekend/sunny day motorcycle riders. Both seem to think that their motorcycles have to run for 15-30 + minutes before taking off for a ride. The bikes just sit there and idle with an occasional revving of the motor. Then there is more motor revving before they take off. In both cases it is beyond a "warm-up" of the engine. Maybe their constantly revving of the engines makes up for a lack of manhood or other insecurities.

• Like 1

Speaking of motorcycles, there's a cop who lives down the street from me who is a butt hair's width away from me taking some video and sending it to his police department with a request to have a little chat with him about the applicability of speeding and reckless driving charges to off-duty police officers. He LOVES to sit in his driveway and rev his engine with very loud pipes. Then he cranks the radio wide open on it (I suppose so he can hear it over the engine) and hauls the mail up our residential street. I know when he is coming home because I can hear him before I can see him and he's flying low back through the residential neighborhood. He reminds me of a cop I worked with in Florida who thought it would be amusing to do burnouts on a main drag in our city. I guess he didn't expect the Chief of Police to be on a late evening drive. After he took an unpaid vacation and almost lost his job, he mellowed out a bit.

• Like 1
Guest RCLARK

I have ridden motorcycles my entire life. Mostly dirt...but a lot of road bikes too. Had my motorcycle license now for 30 years. I personally put loud pipes on to keep people from lane changing into me. Don't underestimate the frequency of that when your bike sounds like a sewing machine...and the effectiveness of the pipes at keeping it from happening. It also sounds good to me....but I probably wouldn't run them for that reason alone. I try to keep the RPM's down to minimize the noise when in residential areas or when I am not in traffic. Yes, it's possible to have loud pipes and be polite and considerate.

As for the revving at the light. It's one of 3 things. Either the rider is on a testosterone trip and is just pounding his chest to those around him....or....it's a guy who has been riding a long time and learned how on older carbureted bikes that didn't idle right when warm.....or....he is a dirt bike guy. The latter two do it out of habit, subconsciously and will usually stop if they realize what they are doing. The first type, unfortunately, make up the majority of riders on the road.

Then again...I will occasionally do it on purpose just to get a rise out of the driver beside me gabbing on their cell phone.

Guest italia

I really don't like to rev an engine that's not under load. Always felt like that was not a good thing. As far as my motorcycles, I'm addicted to the sound they make when accelerating through the gears. Revving while stationary doesn't sound nearly as good.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I really don't like to rev an engine that's not under load. Always felt like that was not a good thing. As far as my motorcycles, I'm addicted to the sound they make when accelerating through the gears. Revving while stationary doesn't sound nearly as good.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I am thinking you ride a ducati. :)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk