Identify this snake:

Guest Joey

The other day my wife came home and found this snake caught in a glue trap on the middle of the living room floor.

I opened its mouth and I saw two fangs on its upper jaw so I assume it's venomous.

4acbae35.jpg

040c83c8.jpg

daceeaed.jpg

I don't think you'll need an anti-venom. There's only one snake in the US that's venomous that does NOT have a triangle shaped head and that' ain't a coral snake.,

I'm not good at ID'ing snakes but I'd say it's garter snake or some other little some such. They wreak havoc on mice and other vermin.

Edited by Caster
Guest 6.8 AR

The head doesn't look right for a copperhead. You said two fangs. I'm not good with snakes,

but fangs say give me another pic of the head. Otherwise rat snake is probably it.

Guest Lester Weevils

Am ignorant of snakes. Dunno how true, but read somewhere that you can't be "100 percent certain" that a non-poisonous venom-type snake really is non-poisonous. The article explained that there is some natural variability in venom contents among the species and it isn't impossible that you could encounter a garter snake ferinstance that packs an unusually strong wallop. The article also mentioned that some people can be allergic to "non-poisonous" snake bites just as easily as being allergic to such as bee stings. So sometimes weak venom can mess up an allergic human.

Maybe all the above is untrue, but it reinforced my desire not to get bit by any kind of snake.

When I was a kid kept a pet bull snake. I kept that snake to try to get over my fear of snakes but it didn't work. I wasn't afraid of my pet snake but I remained afraid of wild snakes.

That bull snake was sneaky. He would docilely crawl in a loop around your hands and arms for a long time until a person wasn't paying attention. Then on one of his slithery passes over and under your hand or arm, as soon as his head was out of sight he would bite the snot out of you. You would't think a snake would be smart enough. Maybe it was coincidence, but he always bit when you couldn't see him doing it. He never tried to bite when his head was visible.

I'm no herpatologist, but it's not poisonous. Pretty sure all snakes have fangs or else it'd be next to impossible to eat.

As far as species, looks like a grey rat snake. Had you caught something in the trap? He was probably hungry!

EDIT: I can't even spell herpetologist!

Edited by bluedog

Man oh man, if my wife ever came home to a surprise like that, there'd be a "For Sale" sign in the front yard and we'd be living in a motel room.

I don't know what kind of snake it is beyond: SNAKE! IN THE HOUSE!! BAD!!!

I know what you mean.

Guest tommy62

Killing a snake in TN is generally illegal. Just an FYI for those that don't know...nothing to do with OP's trap.

One law I'll have to break. Hate 'em.

According to most us southern folks we only have 5 types of snakes in the US

Cottonmouth

Copperhead

Coral Snake

Rattle Snake

Chicken Snake

He is clearly none of the top four. He is closest to the copperhead, but is off color, has the wrong head shape, and his eyes are wrong.

What kind of snake is it? I'll tell you what kind: The best kind... DEAD! :D

(Please, no flames from snake lovers - I actually have two snakes of my own: One buried in the garden and one sleeping under my pickup... tire.)

Edited by Timestepper