Adrenal Stress Post Crisis.....

Well, judging by the fact this is being posted at 3:45 a.m.; i guess you could say i am not having a good night. I had a situation at my home this evening. Around 11:30, someone started banging violently on my front door. My firearm was handy (thank God) and my wife and I were able to retreat to a safe"er" place while waiting 8 long minutes for the Police.

Per the officer, this has happened in this neighborhood before. Women comes to the door and gains access then others rush in. I feel like this might have been the intention tonight. Luckily, we had no forced entry.

While in a low-ready position, i didn't notice the shakes or tunnel vision that i have read about in the past. I was able to calmly direct my wife and make it through the situation without feeling any noticeable effects of adrenaline. I did notice, i had the imprint of a gen 3 Glock checkering in my hand for about 30 mins after the incident--i guess i wont have to worry about limp wristing.....

Anyway, here is where i am running into a problem. This is the first time i have ever had to draw a weapon knowing that my situation could greatly change if someone crossed the door frame into my home. 2 hours after the incident--i feel like ####. I have suffered from nausea and several other side effects of the adrenaline rush. Has anyone dealt with this before? Any tips? I assuming i wont get anything until morning so i can at least file it away and hopefully never use the information again.

Thanks in advance for the help--i am hoping a leo or someone with military or other extensive defense training can provide some insight.

Edited by Parrothead

This is my opinion, but I agree it's the effect of the adrenaline wearing off combined with the realization that you may have had to act to protect your family. I got that way in the military the first time I faced danger, and I can only guess it would be worse if I were protecting my wife instead of "battle buddies."

Take heart man, you did really well. You excersied good judgement and kept your head in a bad situation. I am really glad you did not have to take further action, and that all has worked out. Just give it some time and the effects will pass.

One thing that might help is to do your own AAR (After Action Review). Check where you were, line of fire, any and all variables that happened or could have happened. A good logical review can help to reassure you did the right thing, and can help calm your mind and body at the same time. Engaging the logical brain can help to disengage the emotions for a bit.

You just experienced something you can’t reproduce in any training. Based on what you felt, imagine what it would have been like if you had come face to face with an armed gunman.

I’m sure you are fine by now. I’m not a doctor or a shrink so all I can say is it appears to affect everyone differently. All I could do was sit, relax, and take deep breaths until I regained my composure. Then I went and had a few beers and talked it out with friends. That’s what worked for me anyway.

Good thing you were smart enough to not open the door.

As you reflect over that experience the next few days, it would be interesting to know if you make any decisions about your training, equipment or procedures. I know it wasn’t a home invasion, but it sounds like it could have turned into one in a matter of seconds. Were you as prepared as you thought you would be?

Well, judging by the fact this is being posted at 3:45 a.m.; i guess you could say i am not having a good night. I had a situation at my home this evening. Around 11:30, someone started banging violently on my front door. My firearm was handy (thank God) and my wife and I were able to retreat to a safe"er" place while waiting 8 long minutes for the Police.

Per the officer, this has happened in this neighborhood before. Women comes to the door and gains access then others rush in. I feel like this might have been the intention tonight. Luckily, we had no forced entry.

While in a low-ready position, i didn't notice the shakes or tunnel vision that i have read about in the past. I was able to calmly direct my wife and make it through the situation without feeling any noticeable effects of adrenaline. I did notice, i had the imprint of a gen 3 Glock checkering in my hand for about 30 mins after the incident--i guess i wont have to worry about limp wristing.....

Anyway, here is where i am running into a problem. This is the first time i have ever had to draw a weapon knowing that my situation could greatly change if someone crossed the door frame into my home. 2 hours after the incident--i feel like ####. I have suffered from nausea and several other side effects of the adrenaline rush. Has anyone dealt with this before? Any tips? I assuming i wont get anything until morning so i can at least file it away and hopefully never use the information again.

Thanks in advance for the help--i am hoping a leo or someone with military or other extensive defense training can provide some insight.

God Bless you and glad that everyone's all right. Just a taste of PTSD, huh? Might want to check if your town's department has a Police Chaplain. They are there for you too. They see stuff like this all the time.

Guest Lester Weevils

Mike, MacGyver and others know more about it, but as best can recall don't people get the exact same effects if they have to get an epinephrine shot for heart, allergy or asthma emergencies? Isn't it basically the same hormone in the medical injection?

Hydrate. A lot.

+1 to this.

Other than that, just relax as best you can. If you havent already put a solid plan in place with your wife in case it happens agian or something else does do so now when you recover. Having a plan in and of itself will ease your mind more than most things.

Edited by Metalhead

I was robbed at gun point a few years ago at a motel I worked at in Lake City, and I am thankful for the experience, as stupid as that sounds. I would have had no idea what to expect when someone gets the drop on me had I not, but now at least I have some idea what they are talking about when they say "condition black".

I was carrying concealed at the time but the guy had his gun on me before I knew it, so I chose to follow his commands, which were basically, "give me your money". I was alert enough that when he turned to go out the door, I debated if should I draw and fire, but figured shooting him in the back wouldn't be very defensible in court.

The guy blew his brains out about 20 minutes after robbing me as the police closed in on him,. When I heard about that a few minutes later, that is when it really caught up to me and I realized how lucky I was.

The "sickness" feeling didn't really pass until many hours later, after a big meal (Kanpai of Tokyo). It sounds like you performed wonderfully.

Mike, MacGyver and others know more about it, but as best can recall don't people get the exact same effects if they have to get an epinephrine shot for heart, allergy or asthma emergencies? Isn't it basically the same hormone in the medical injection?

Must be different for different individuals. I've had to self-inject epi when I had an allergic reaction to yellowjackets. I was good as new 20 minutes later except for soreness at the injection site. The first time I had a reaction, I had no epinephrine and I did get nauseous then.

To the OP, like Metalhead said, having a plan in place will help a lot in case it happens again. Training and a plan. Those will help prevent the massive adrenaline dump in the first place. And don't let yourself be surprised by anything. Expect that car to pull out in front of you. Expect that person standing too close to grab your wife's purse. And expect that knock (or pounding) on the door when you're relaxing at home.

Or maybe I'm just a natural pessimist. But it's always worked for me.

• Like 1

The only "scare" I had caused me a major migrane headache and stiff/sore arm and shoulder muscles for a day or so and a sore throat from breathing through my mouth intensely. However, I could hardly seem to remember "details", just generally what happened. I was out in the public and I had nothing for the police and could not inform them of any descriptions of the persons or vehicle involved. The only way they knew I wasn't lying was the fact that I was still very visably shaken and could hardly pronounce words correctly as my lips and face looked flush and were kinda numb.

Relax, take a deep breath and think things out. I'm a veteran from the Nam era......when you put the sights of your weapon (M-16/203) on another human being, pull the trigger and that "human" disapears to the jungle floor....it will make you sick....I mean SICK for many years to come! I had an incident just like yours a couple of years ago. A dude came to my door at 0130 and ask if he could use my phone. I stood at the door with the "safety chain" hooked, .45 behind my back. I asked if anyone was hurt and he said "I just need to come in and use your phone". I said "wait a minute". I went and got the phone, came back to the door and said I'll "call 911". He turned and ran. Had I handed the phone to that piece of s***, I'd been grabbed and robbed, and I'd had to cleaned up after the piece of crap. Be careful folks!!!

Guest bkelm18

Only close encounter I've had was a couple years ago someone started turning my door knob back and forth vigorously at about 1am. I was asleep on the couch next to the door and woke up instantly (it was pretty loud) and grabbed my pistol off the coffee table and pointed it in the direction of the door. The person stopped about then and just walked off. I definitely had an adrenaline rush and felt sick afterward.

Feel fortunate my friend that you didn't have to pull the trigger. Sounds like it all worked out in your favor. Count your blessings....

• 2 weeks later...

I too have been ther, but with a more tragic outcome.

Will H had a great point. Engaging the logical brain can help to disengage the emotions for a bit.

You need to spend time convincing yourself that you reacted exactly as you should have, and as you hoped you would. All the questions (and what if's) flying thru your brain is what drives ya nuts. Answer then over & over (even the what if's) & know that you followed your plan.

In addition to this side affect, you may be like me and deal with mild - to - severe Post Traumatic Stress. Everyone is different, and while I can't relate to combat related scenarios (And I pray for all that do), I got a tiny glimpse of what it is. Among other things, whatever your normal senses do, they get exaggerated to the 10th-100th degree (seeing things, hearing things, agitation, etc). Let's just say that the 3 months following my incident wasn't a good time to tap my on the back & surprise me! Hang in there - Be Confident! Use it to make you better thanyou were.

God bless ya & glad you both avoided harm or major clean up.

Oh, and if too much time is going by and the PTSD isnt gone, look up "EMDR and PTSD". It's some really cool stuff! A friend did it and an hour later, she as cured of the PTSD and calmer than she'd been in a year!