Are Lanyards on our carry guns a good idea?

Guest Sgt. Joe

Guest Sgt. Joe

I did a search for any opinions on this and did not find any. That in no way means that this subject has not been covered, just that I was unable to find it if it has been. Please forgive me if I somehow missed it.

The past month or so a friend and I have been discussing the idea of adding a lanyard to our EDC weapons. We have no particular reason for doing so other than the obvious of keeping our weapons from being completely taken away from us in a scuffle but more so an idea of why not.

We have observed that while a few do that most LEO's who are our front-lines against crime do not use lanyards so we are thinking that there must be a reason why not, but we are not smart enough to figure out just why not. Just for an FYI he is one who will disconnect any mag-safety and I know many who are also that way while I can take or leave them but I am not one to change any safety features that a weapon was built with. I know that this idea is just something that we all have agreed to disagree about.

Our thoughts are centered around making a lanyard for our carry weapon that would leave us enough room for a full draw and point and while the weapon was holstered the lanyard could be concealed within a pocket or even an otherwise empty mag holder on the same side as the weapon. We have come to the conclusion that the lanyard would need to be a bit over two feet long in order to not interfere with the function of drawing and using the weapon. I am an even 6' and he is about 6'1"-6'2' some folks obviously could need more or less length for their lanyards. Some additional FYI is that we both are CC'ers and only occasionally OC on our own property when not in the sight of others, so we are not at a high risk of a snatch and grab situation.

We have been thinking that a few strands of 550 cord braided together would make a nearly unbreakable lanyard and the length as mentioned would also in the event that the weapon was dropped prevent it from actually hitting the ground, the lanyard would be attached to the bottom of the grip and not to any moving parts or anything that would interfere with the weapon's function. We also realize that any lanyard would only be as strong as whatever it was attached to which in most cases would be a belt loop which isnt that strong but in some cases could be the holster itself which could be much stronger.

My intention is just to get the overall thoughts of you folks on the idea and any input on why most LEO's dont use them. I am not even sure what brought the subject up with us but since it has come up it has been on my mind as to whether or not this would be a good idea or not and just why it would or would not be.

Both of us just happen to carry weapons that a lanyard could easily be attached to and I do realize that not all handguns are made in such a way that would make that practical or even possible.

I am also not saying that I definitely want to start using a lanyard, rather I am just wanting to pick all of your brains about the subject. As I said my EDC will easily accept one and if it is going to help me then I want to make one for it, if it isnt going to help me or worse hinder me in some way obviously I dont want one. Your combined knowledge is far more than I could ever learn on my own and that is why I am asking.

So is a lanyard for a carry weapon a good idea, a bad idea, an indifferent thought of to each his own or simply a stupid thought?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I'd be afraid it would snag on something and get jerked out of the holster. Seems like it would have to be relatively long and would likely get in the way or get tangled should an abnormal situation arise.

• Like 1

When I was a private I was required to have my sidearm on a lanyard so that us dumb privates didn't lose it while out in the field. We had those coiled lanyards that look like a phone cord. I hated that thing with such a passion that I still grind my teeth just thinking about it. It would get caught on everything I brushed up against, especially getting in and out of the vehicle.

By the time the war started I was no longer in a position to have such silliness required of me, and I can't imagine having a lanyard on my pistol during the conduct of day to day operations.... climbing over walls, moving through structures, climbing through vehicles with snag points everywhere. The only folks I would see with lanyards on their pistols were fobbits.

Police have to do similar stuff when chasing down bad guys so I can imagine that having a lanyard that is likely to snag on stuff is more of a liability than an advantage. Besides, if an officer is shot with his own weapon it is likely a result of a scuffle on the ground which would make a lanyard moot because it is such close proximity.

It would be interesting to hear from those who have used a lanyard and their experience with it. Has any one liked a lanyard after having experience using it?

Edited by tnhawk

It would be interesting to hear from those who have used a lanyard and their experience with it. Has any one liked a lanyard after having experience using it?

I've used them in the field for training, to prevent a pistol from becoming lost, due to falling out of the holster while getting up and down, moving over obstacles, etc. For those environments, they're ok, I'd never voluntary wear one day to day because they do catch on stuff, and can snag when trying to draw the weapon.

Guest zort

they are a good idea for military if you do a lot of low crawling and rolling around. and of course dumb privates that always lose there gear.

Random thought since you are talking about creating a lanyard. What about an retractable reel style lanyard integrated in with the holster, or just attached to a belt? Something like this people use for ID badges.

88467457-260x260-0-0_Quartet+gbc+GBC+Retractable+ID+Badge+Holder+Gray+2.jpg

It would eliminate the "getting caught" issue in day to day activities. As long as the retracting mechanism isn't strong enough to influence your shot, or retract the weapon all futuristic style. Simply something that has a cord / wire with enough tensile strength to hold the weapon when full extended. Could even have a quick disconnect near the firearm in case some sort of rare binding mishap.

Again, I don't have a dog in this hunt; it was just a random thought that popped in my head when I read your post.

Guest adamoxtwo

In my opinion, a lanyard would simply be one more thing that could potentially cause a problem at a very crucial moment.

BINGO! I used a lanyard in Iraq and the transition from long gun to pistol wasn't a problem but I have gotten "Hung Up" on the lanyard. LEO's that I talked to don't like the lanyard for that reason as well. Also, Leo's who are on SWAT units are more Op to use a lanyard because of the maneuvering that they do. When the rubber hits the road it's all personal preference. If you are carrying concealed and you are doing something that you think you need to tie the weapon off t you, you probably shouldn't be carrying at that particular moment. Hunting and things like that sure thing. Fishing (where if for some odd reason you end up in the river or pond) sure because you don't want to donate a Pistol to a body of water. Again personal preference.

I don't know that any of the possible pro's would outweight the cons of it being either in the way or getting hung on something when I need to draw my weapon. I wouldn't use one in the field until doing some training with it.

i stopped using a lanyard when one on my sidearm snagged on a door in a two way shoot house, completely stopped my foward movement and that of all the guys behind me. sometimes i still get mandated to use one and when that happens i always use a retractable one, stays out the way fairly well.

Guest Sgt. Joe

Random thought since you are talking about creating a lanyard. What about an retractable reel style lanyard integrated in with the holster, or just attached to a belt? Something like this people use for ID badges.

88467457-260x260-0-0_Quartet+gbc+GBC+Retractable+ID+Badge+Holder+Gray+2.jpg

It would eliminate the "getting caught" issue in day to day activities. As long as the retracting mechanism isn't strong enough to influence your shot, or retract the weapon all futuristic style. Simply something that has a cord / wire with enough tensile strength to hold the weapon when full extended. Could even have a quick disconnect near the firearm in case some sort of rare binding mishap.

Again, I don't have a dog in this hunt; it was just a random thought that popped in my head when I read your post.

My friend actually brought this idea up and we were concerned with the overall strength of the device, most of the badge holders that I have seen are not really very strong but the idea is certainly sound. I remember years (lots) when my dad kept his keys on something similar but which had a small chain rather than a string, something like that may could work but I dont know just where to look for such a thing these days although I am sure they are out there.

If you could put a spare mag holster behind the holster where the pistol is you could stuff the spare lanyard/cord/whatever in it to keep it out of the way. You could also use that as your anchor point. Just a thought.

This is exactly what I was thinking, I also had to use a lanyard at times as an MP (not even a Private) and it just hung down from the weapon or was stuck in a pocket which the powers that be frowned upon. It was basically a total PITA. If we were to do this the lanyard would not be hanging out to be caught on anything, at least not until after the draw.

Just as I thought this isnt a popular idea but what I think I will do is go ahead and make one and then see if it will actually fit into a mag holder or not. I have my doubts as far as a double 550 cord but a single one probably would fit. Then I may or may not use it and probably not except on occasions that it could prove to be useful such as on a boat.

Again we are not doing things that would make us more apt to have our weapons taken they do stay concealed, My days of kicking in doors for the good Ole USA or anyone else are over. The whole idea was just something that we were discussing and then when I saw the thread about the Forbus holster being ripped off seemingly without much effort it made me think of a lanyard again.

Thanks for your reponses, any positive experiences with lanyards would be good to hear about.

Guest BungieCord

A friend of mine likes to say he'd have no fear of jumping off a bridge or out of an airplane while holding on to a garden hose or an extension cord because, in the entire history of the world, neither has ever managed to pay out to its full length without first snagging on something. What guarantee do I have that, sitting in my car or shoved against a wall or into a hedge, my drawing of the weapon will not be impaired?

And if you do lose your weapon to some mook, you've given him not just one deadly weapon, but two: a pistol and a garotte, and one of them is untraceable and doesn't leave GSR.

I don't even like a manual safety on a CCW. A lanyard? Figure the odds.

The only good thing I could see for having a lanyard is if a bad guy got control of your handgun. All you have to do is run away and it will jerk the gun out of their hand. That is if the lanyard is strong enough. That is the only thing I can imagine that the lanyard might do.

But as others have said they snag on anything and everything you walk by. I hated them and still do to this day. The negatives are not worth any of the benefits.

On another note, those Rhodesian mag carriers are just as bad for snagging on stuff. I was given one to use on my first trip overseas and was stopped ead in my tracks numerous times daily.

Dolomite

Guest Sgt. Joe

I'd say if you were British or French it would be ok.

OK you found me out, my ancestors were indeed Frenchies.....back in 1686 :surrender:

Fret not though I dont speak to any of those folks and I dont claim any of them either, it's all good :usa: I even have a NB BC from TN :pleased:

I do appreciate the replies. I cant say that they are anything other than what we figured that they would be. The masses have spoken their opinions on the matter and so it shall be. :up: ................. No stinkin lanyards :down:

Maybe I will just braid some red white and blue para-cord into a patriotic tacta-sling instead :rock:

I was just being silly and politically incorrect. You have every right as an American to wear a lanyard and I would never infringe upon that right.

To be honest,I'm a Tree Climber and I use a lanyard on my climbing chainsaw and it gets tangled in everything every chance it gets but it's saved my saw from a LOOOONG drop more than once.