Do I need a new job

I think I am driving too far for not enough money. I like the work, the hours, and the people. I hate the drive and the pay. Two hours a day driving is too much. I think I am ready to make a move. Anyone ever feel this way?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been there. I moved closer to the work though. In my case though it was a no brainer since I couldn't make the money I wanted to make where I lived. So after a few instances of nearly falling asleep at the wheel on the Interstate I announced that a change in domicile was imminent.

So yea, I agree a change of one type or another is probably in order.

I just turned down a Mechanics job because of the hours and drive. Pay seemed great but if I have no life what's the point.

I watched my step father work several jobs until he retired then his health was so bad he couldn't enjoy the things he loved.

Edited by hornett22

Been there. 40 min commute to work in the morning, an hour to get home in the afternoon.... 72 miles round trip. I did that for about 6 months and it got old real fast. Thankfully my car at the time got 37 mpg. My wife and I had started the process to relocate closer to the job, then the job moved 500 miles away. I didn't follow.

My new commute is 12 miles round trip. There's definitely something to be said for all that time wasted commuting.

A friend drives 120 miles round trip daily. There's some sort of shuttle that he uses occasionally, but that's still a really long commute.

Guest uofmeet

I have a 20min trip one way and I think that is to long. My wife on the other hand, she has about 3 min trip one way to work. I envy her.

I currently drive 50 minutes one way to work, leaving work is another story...it takes on average a hour and 20 minutes to get back to my house. I've looked into moving closer, but the traffic isn't any better no matter what part of town I live in.

Try looking for a closer house that still fits all the needs your current house provides.

My dad drove to work 90 min. each way for 40 years. If traffic was really bad, it could have been 2-3 hours one way. You do what you gotta do.

Now with the price of gas these days, I can see your point, but not many people are going to be living 3 miles from work unless you want to work at Arby's or Starbucks.

I work 120 miles from my wife. Needless to say its too far to commute daily. So I live at the inlaws during the week. If it were as easy as just getting another job, I'd been gone 2 years ago. I like my job, but not that much. Unfortunately I have a specialized degree and the job market is very thin I say if you can find something closer, do it.

• Admin Team

I "commuted" all over the country and world for several years. But, for the last 5 have been fortunate to be able to work most days from home. As a byproduct, I've become completely intolerant of traffic.

I vote for finding something closer. Life is way too short to spend it breathing someone else's exhaust.

That's a tough one and a very personal choice. There is a lot to be said for being satisfied with your job. I don't earn the income now that I have earned in the past but I absolutely love my job, and even my boss. My stress level is very low and I'm very happy. The situation that I am currently in is rare. Even one person that you don't like at a job can ruin it for you. If you like everything except the commute I would strongly suggest looking into relocation, it seems for me that jobs that I don't mind going to are few and far between.

Right with you in the commute. 45minutes to get to work, an hour plus to get home. I ask myself the same question you do, on a daily basis. Would love to quit but have to much time invested now. I am gonna have to ride it out a few more years.

Here in Orlando the traffic miserable. Luckily I found a condo 3.5 miles from work. Most of the people I work with commute 45 minutes or more to work. It can take 30-40 minutes to go 10 miles in Orlando.

If you can find a job that's closer to your house I say go for it.

I have commuted back and forth to Calhoun, GA (57 miles) for almost 15 years. Yeah, it takes 2 hours out of my day and racks up the miles on my car, but it doesn't really bother me. I guess I have gotten used to it.

Guest 6.8 AR

I commute 50 miles one day spend the night due to

work and come back home the next day. Been doing

that for 15 years. My wife has been doing the same

commute for close to 25 years. You do what you have

to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Lester Weevils

Never liked driving. For a few months commuted from chatt to a job in dalton ga. Drove me nuts. Then got to thinking, bro-in-law was at that time living in atlanta on the east side and the commute to his job on the north side was as many or more miles as my commute to dalton, and that was in the same city.

Worked a factory job in chatt about 1970 and lots of the workers lived way out on sand mountain. 7a to 3p shift, they must of been leaving the house way early. Lots of those guys were farmers who drove to work in the dark, work the day, get off at 3p, drive back to sand mountain and work the farm til dark. Then get up and do it again the next day.

Been lucky to work only a few miles from home most of the time. Worked at home the last 17 years. Am lucky to work at home, but the drawback to working at home is if one ain't getting "enough done" there is the feeling that I ought to be working all the time to get caught up, but I never get caught up.

At least I am not alone. I guess if the pay was better I might not mind it as bad. I made more money working closer to home, but I had to work weekends. I am off with the family on weekends now and that has to be worth something. Currently I do high end security. I was a meat cutter before this. I have a phd;however, neither line of work is associated with my degree. Funny how life turns out sometimes.

Guest thejoshdavis

I used to live in Bell Buckle and commuted to Nashville M-F for a 8-5 office job. At first it wasnt bad, then it got to the point to where sometimes I would never see actual daylight. I loved the job, it was my first "real" job out of school, I built the house, everything seemed awesome. I bought a motorcycle to spice up the drive some. After a near death experience heading home one day (I65S right at the Concord road exit) I was forced off the interstate and almost head on into the middle wall by some #### knuckle who thought he owned the road. I saved myself and the bike thankfully. Not one of my finer moments, but followed the guy up the off ramp to Hwy 96 gave him a piece of my mind, kicked his door in and drove off. I digress....

After about 6 months of this it was pretty much torture. An hour AT LEAST to work in good traffic, cutting through back roads and interstates. Another 1.5 hours home. It sucked, sucked hard. Thankfully I was able to sell the house quickly and purchased a place in Murfreesboro. I even made a career change shortly after to a job in Smyrna. That was awesome. 15 minutes both ways, no traffic. But that job was terrible, had a boss who thought my input didnt matter in changes. I stuck it out for 2 years. Moved jobs to Green Hills, another NOPE for traffic. Good God that sucked. Now I'm back in Nashville across the street from my original job. I do 7-4 so traffic isnt too bad sometimes up 24 to Thompson Ln. But when it gets bad, it gets back quick. Its about a 30-35 minute commute both directions.

I would say if possible move closer. Great jobs are hard to find these days. Sadly with the economy the way it is, it seems like employers can pay less for the same work. Its a sign of the times it seems. I like my job, it gives me exposure to a lot of different things everyday. You just have to make the best of each situation you're in.

Sorry for long/rant of a post.

We have a guy that drives from Gainesboro to Nashville every day, and another guy that drives from Manchester. I have no idea how they do it.

As truck drivers, we drive all day anyway, so I guess they look at it as little more than a few extra miles. Plus, I doubt they'll find a driving job that pays $20/hour and gives 3-5 weeks of paid vacation anywhere close to their homes. I guess it's a tradeoff. You have to figure out what's most important and go from there.

I tried living in Cookeville several years ago, but there was no money to be made around there, not doing what I do anyway. I struggled for a couple of years until I got tired of being broke. And unless I wanted to live in a dump of a mobile home, the cost of living wasn't really that much cheaper than living in Hendersonville. I moved back to Hendersonville and never looked back.

We have a guy that drives from Gainesboro to Nashville every day, and another guy that drives from Manchester. I have no idea how they do it.

As truck drivers, we drive all day anyway, so I guess they look at it as little more than a few extra miles. Plus, I doubt they'll find a driving job that pays $20/hour and gives 3-5 weeks of paid vacation anywhere close to their homes. I guess it's a tradeoff. You have to figure out what's most important and go from there.

I tried living in Cookeville several years ago, but there was no money to be made around there, not doing what I do anyway. I struggled for a couple of years until I got tired of being broke. And unless I wanted to live in a dump of a mobile home, the cost of living wasn't really that much cheaper than living in Hendersonville. I moved back to Hendersonville and never looked back.

I moved out of Cookeville 4 years ago for the same reason. Great place to live but there are zero decent jobs. My cost of living expense was very good there though. I was staying in a decent house that cost around $350 a month for rent and utilities and knew several other people that were paying about the same. Looked at a place in Mt. Juliet at the same time that was $700 a month rent for a run down single wide.