City buy-back program takes 5,500 guns, replicas off streets

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“That’s a killer right there. That small gun,†said Chicago Police Sgt. Kevin Johnson, a member of the citywide Anti-Gun Enforcement Team. “It’s a North American Arms .22 caliber,†Johnson said. “That bullet is so small it will bounce. It will travel and you’ll have internal bleeding going throughout your body.â€

--------------

Hellfire, I'm dumping all these 9mm and .357 thangs, and jumping on that thar killer round!

- OS

If this makes things soooooo much safer now, you would think there would have been at least one person shot while standing in line. All those guns in one place, surely to hell at least one of them just went off and killed someone. :ugh:

“That’s a killer right there. That small gun,†said Chicago Police Sgt. Kevin Johnson, a member of the citywide Anti-Gun Enforcement Team. “It’s a North American Arms .22 caliber,†Johnson said. “That bullet is so small it will bounce. It will travel and you’ll have internal bleeding going throughout your body.â€

--------------

Hellfire, I'm dumping all these 9mm and .357 thangs, and jumping on that thar killer round!

- OS

“I never knew how to use that. Oh my God the safety didn’t even work,†Jones said. “I would have never used that.â€

Safety on a NAA .22 revolver? She was probably told that by the cop. I can see how some Chicago civilian can be ignorant about firearms but I would think that a police sgt. would have a basic knowledge about guns. Obviously not.

“That bullet is so small it will bounce. It will travel and you’ll have internal bleeding going throughout your body.â€

Somebody has been watching too many TV shows or movies.

Edited by K191145

“ . . . People criticize, sometimes, these events. They say we don’t get the right guns off the street, but the likelihood of these guns being turned in by somebody’s parent is much greater than being turned in by one of the gang-bangers.â€

Doh!! :stick:

Edited by DaddyO

I personally have no qualms with gun buy back programs, I dont believe they do much good, but as long as the buy back is voluntary, any stolen firearms that are recovered are returned to their lawful owners, etc, then I have no problems with it.

I personally have no qualms with gun buy back programs, I dont believe they do much good, but as long as the buy back is voluntary, any stolen firearms that are recovered are returned to their lawful owners, etc, then I have no problems with it.

I doubt very seriously that's what's happening. It's a don't ask don't tell policy on most of them. It's one of the more brilliant ways of being rid of a stolen gun or on used in a homicide. Wipe it down, put it in a box and get paid for it. No Q's asked. After that, they're most likely destroyed. I don't have proof of it, but I'd wager that's what's happening. Is there proof that the authorities go through each serial number on the ALL the guns taken in?

Edited by Caster

"...Officer Sean Hayes, an instructor at the Chicago Police Academy, tried to unlodge bullets from the gun. The .22 caliber bullets were jammed inside. He even tried using a hammer to remove them, but couldn’t."

'Scuse me Officer, but there's a Mr. Darwin knockin at your door...

The 22 will bounce, esp out of a short barrel. As I understand it, any handgun less than about 200 grains will bounce off bone under some conditions, at least on semi-rare occasions. Now, it depends on what one means by bounce... generally, we are talking a few degrees (less than 10) of deflection instead of a straight line hole. This guy still sounds like a moron, but its not a total fail.

These are funded by tax dollars. If you don't have a problem with that, you either don't pay taexs, or you have some severe reasoning problems.

I've got an idea. How about a bunch of us TGO members getting together, pooling our money, and having a gun by back effort? Any news clips I see always include some classics like Colt SAAs, Diamondbacks, 1911s, Winchester levers, etc. The rest could be sold at a gun show booth at a later date to recoup some of our funds. I would even take some to use for parts.

I've got an idea. How about a bunch of us TGO members getting together, pooling our money, and having a gun by back effort? Any news clips I see always include some classics like Colt SAAs, Diamondbacks, 1911s, Winchester levers, etc. The rest could be sold at a gun show booth at a later date to recoup some of our funds. I would even take some to use for parts.

Sounds like a plan. AND Any gun that looks/feels questionable could be stripped down to bare frame, sold for parts. We could then stick the frame in a Kurt vice and use a face mill to make into a lot of little pieces.

Depending on the gun, the sale of it's internals could net more than the whole gun.

Edited by Caster
Guest nicemac

As is general practice, no questions were asked about the guns, and those who brought them could remain anonymous. All of the weapons will be destroyed.

Nothing wrong with my reasoning, there are a lot of folks that for one reason or another want a safe way to dispose of unwanted firearms, would you rather those firearms be tossed in the nearest dumpster?

As a tax payer I dont mind these sorts of programs, so long as any stolen firearms that are recovered in a buy back are returned to their lawful owners and not just destroyed.

As a tax payer I dont mind these sorts of programs, so long as any stolen firearms that are recovered in a buy back are returned to their lawful owners and not just destroyed.

That's not happening. It's ain't gonna happen either.

Any that peak an interest in those who are collecting them get pocketed, the rest go to the recycler.

Every single buyback I have read about always ended the same way: all firearms turned in were destroyed.

Edited by DaddyO

Well if the recovered stolen firearms are indeed being destroyed and none of them are being returned to their rightful owners then IMHO the programs need to be shut down.

I would be pretty pissed and would probably sue the department responsible if I learned that some of my stolen property had been recovered & destroyed without me being notified and given the opportunaty to reclaim it.

I know I once read about a group doing that in Texas on the same day the police did a buy back. They actually setup in the same area and offered more then the police did. http://deadlinelive.info/2011/02/26/first-ever-austinites-outbid-police-in-gun-buyback-counter-program/

Well if the recovered stolen firearms are indeed being destroyed and none of them are being returned to their rightful owners then IMHO the programs need to be shut down.

I would be pretty pissed and would probably sue the department responsible if I learned that some of my stolen property had been recovered & destroyed without me being notified and given the opportunaty to reclaim it.

Your property WAS stolen and destroyed. The money used to hold this event was confiscated from you in the form of taxes!!!! :wall: