Those of you who live near the mountains are so freakin' lucky...

• Administrator

I understand what you are saying David, but would suggest that if you are trying to take it in, why not pull over at the first opportunity, let the "clown" by and enjoy your time even more without the stress of a tailgater? If you are not in a hurry the extra few seconds should not impact you.

We live pretty far down a two lane road with no areas to pass, in a somewhat popular tourist area. When my wife was pregnant we had an emergency situation to deal with and for whatever reason people refused to pull over to let us by and one particular tourist fellow slowed to a snails pace and moved to the center of the road to block us. That fellow doesn't know how close he came to ending up in the drink as I feared for my wife and unborn child.

Granted, I had the hazards on and surely you would have let someone by in that situation, but the self absorption can be viewed from both angles.

We pulled off any chance I could but this is a one-way, one-lane road with drop offs on one or both sides in most places. One person with their hazard lights on would get me out of their way. Dozens of cars running up your ass constantly? No, that's not an emergency... those are people who shouldn't have driven down a scenic motorway. :)

We pulled off any chance I could but this is a one-way, one-lane road with drop offs on one or both sides in most places. One person with their hazard lights on would get me out of their way. Dozens of cars running up your ass constantly? No, that's not an emergency... those are people who shouldn't have driven down a scenic motorway. :)

Gotcha. Sorry to derail things. :up:

That guy was me, a lot of the time. I slowed down even more for them. I learned that my F150 can idle at about 3mph if left to it's own devices. I also learned that it really pisses off people when you do that. :)

You and I are on the same page there.... tailgaters are my #1 pet peeve, whether on the interstate or driving through town or a park. I slow down too just to see their eyes turn red.

Good job!! :up:

Edited by DaddyO
  • Like 1

Keep in mind that the Roaring Fork also serves as the only access to the Bullhead, Rainbow Falls, and Trilium Gap trailheads, which all go up Mt. LeConte. Supposedly, 10,000 hikers make the trek up LeConte every year.

The ones who really get under my skin are people like the "Loud pipes save lives" Harley a-hole who blasted Alice in Chains in the Newfound Gap parking lot last fall. It was pretty clear the he thought he was funny. As he started back down Newfound Gap Road, I coldn't help thinking what a crying shame it would be if he blew one of those curves and went to the Knoxville ER in a helicopter.

Edited by deerslayer

I was born and raised in Middle Tennessee but I got to the mountains as quick as I could and have no plans of leaving. I live in Blount County right on the edge of the park. I try to stay away from Sevier County period. I can't stand Pigeon Forge, Gatlinberg, and Sevierville. It's like Panama City in the mountains. It's nice and quiet here most of the time, lots of places to fish, camp, and hike. Lots of wildlife around too.

I understand the traffic thing from both sides. I understand people on vacation like to putt around but if I leave my house it's 5 miles one way and 8 miles the other before I get a chance to pass. I see this stuff everyday I don't want to go to work at 20 mph nor do I want to sit behind someone that is doing 20 mph on my way home. We get a lot of tourist traffic on my otherwise lightly traveled road. I don't get impatient until the pokey in front of me has had a couple of chances to pull over, then I just consider that person to be inconsiderate.

To Deerslayer... I understand just what you mean about the tourists on Harleys. I deal with them everyday. There are some decent ones but more common are the "My loud pipes are awesome and you are GOING to listen to them" crowd. The sound systems on those things are impressive, I've been able to hear them over their loud pipes well over a half mile away before, and clearly. By the way, I'm not bike bashing, I own 5 motorcycles. I can appreciate a nice sounding exhaust but I realize that just because I do doesn't mean that everyone else does as well. I only have one bike that is loud and I try to be courteous and keep the RPMs down when I'm anywhere where there are other people around. I know my neighbors don't want to hear me a mile away when I come in from a ride, so I ride a gear or two high to keep the noise down.

I have to agree with a good portion of this.

I grew up in Monroe County, Tellico Plains (Rural Vale) to be exact.

While Vonore may have the industry, that is about it in the county. The rest of it is slowly spiraling into a drug infested decay of poverty and laziness.

With that said though...

I remember about twenty years ago (wow, it has been that long...) when Dolly came to town and expressed interest in buying Stokely Bottoms for a theme park. The town told her no. The history of the area was more important. The Indian Burial Ground, the Civil War cannon works, the WWII internment camp. I was proud of Tellico for that. Made my happy to know that my town would not be... whored out like Sevier County.

Now, with one of the highest meth related arrest rates in the state, several close friends and family that are dead or in jail from a stagnant wasting away of nothingness that comes from being deep in the depths of hopelessness and poverty, I can't help but wonder what would have happened if Dolly had bought Stokely Bottoms.

Now back to the OP. I miss my mountains so much. I feel lonely without them. I knew they meant a lot to me, but I didn't realize I would feel like this without them. As a kid a I traipsed all through those woods, camping, hunting, fishing, just wandering. I miss that. I understand completely why the leaf lookers come out, and I don't hold it against them anymore, not the way I used to.

I'm a Tellico Plains native myself. When did you grow up there? I grew up between town and Ballplay, but went to Tellico for elementary. I assume that you went to Rural Vale elementary. My uncle lives there.

Thank the Good Lord that Dolly didn't get Stokely Bottoms. Don't think for a second that Sevier Co is any better in regards to meth and all the other BS that comes along with it. On top of the drug problems, they have roads that are impassable nearly year-round because of the tourons . And all the associated crime that comes along with overpopulation. I wouldn't have that for anything.

Will

Edited by Clod Stomper

Glad you enjoyed your vacation. It's a shame to live so close the mountains and visit them so infrequently. Life gets in the way much too often.

Keep in mind that the Roaring Fork also serves as the only access to the Bullhead, Rainbow Falls, and Trilium Gap trailheads, which all go up Mt. LeConte. Supposedly, 10,000 hikers make the trek up LeConte every year.

The ones who really get under my skin are people like the "Loud pipes save lives" Harley a-hole who blasted Alice in Chains in the Newfound Gap parking lot last fall. It was pretty clear the he thought he was funny. As he started back down Newfound Gap Road, I coldn't help thinking what a crying shame it would be if he blew one of those curves and went to the Knoxville ER in a helicopter.

T-Shirt%201%20Back%20PJ.jpg

http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=485

Watch out Tennessee. Our secret could get out. Tellico Plains is right at the foot of the Smokeys.The mountain streams are cold year round. The clean pure environment is lightly populated by the kindest, most friendly people in the world, Tennesseans.

I hear ya. A little vacation like that sure does recharge the ole batteries, however...

I'm not psychic but, I'll bet you and yours had a nice long discussion about retirement plans on the drive home?

Even though it's not East Tennessee, I retired here among other reasons because it's beautiful. Living in urban flat as a board Illinois most of my life, I appreciated my yard mole hills because I thought they were scenic. Here in NW TN., I'm in second heaven :pleased:

• Administrator

I hope to retire somewhere up in the Rockies, to be honest with you. We are fortunate to have the Smokeys so close to us but the Rockies stole my heart and I doubt I'll ever be able to come to rest anywhere else.