zero tolerance gone insane the official sign language sign for his name is 2 fingers like a gun.

greenego

zero tolerance in schools is wrong. just plain wrong. and heres a prime example.

in grand island Nebraska a 3 yr old deaf child is in preschool. his name is hunter.

the official sign language sign for his name is 2 fingers like a gun.

the school is insisting the child use a different name since their weapons policy bars any instrument that looks like a weapon.

http://www.1011now.c...z1PhKg.facebook

zero tolerance is fine as a concept, and I approve of it so long as the implementation is sane (it is not, as seen above). Kid with a weapon at school should be sent home for good and a note on the record. Weapon should follow the same rules as adults (3+ inch knife, gun, etc) ---- toys, gestures, clothing, etc is not a weapon and is going too far.

If done properly, by age 10 kids have a respect for the laws and consequences (or they are now home schooled and unable to enter any public school again until age 18) ---- and hopefuly understand that the grownup world is also zero tolerance (for actual weapons carried illegally).

Not saying I approve of the current weapon laws for adults, just that I would not mind seeing the zero tolerance thing executed in a way to instill a sense of consequences into the kids, if that makes sense.

I watched a show yesterday on this same subject. They cited several cases where children were suspended or even expelled. A first grader chewed his chicken nugget into a gun and was suspended. Another was a teenager who had a fingernail file the the school said mimicked a knife. Or a preschooler who drew a stick figure holding a gun that was removed because of it.

We, as a nation, have become a bunch of wimps. Administrators stand behind the zero tolerance policies so the don't have to have a backbone.

I miss the old days when punishment was based on the individual's actions and determined by a review of the case.

Dolomite

I agree with Jonnin on this one. If you are going to have a zero tolerance policy make sure it is logical. I know I was sent home because I had a Remington anniversary shirt on with an 870 and 1100 crossed across the back with a Lab and another bird dog on it. Apparently the public school found it offensive to some. Transferred to a private school after that where they could have cared less. Then again we had a trap field on campus if that answers any questions...

It's sad when someone my age -28 can remember when things made sence. We had squirt gun fights in school at recess in the summer. Why? It was hot, and squirt guns wherent considered weapons quite yet. Probably a good half of my recess and lunch times were spent chasing other kids with squirt guns or fingers extended like pistols. As I recal there were no casualties of our little wars, not even one case of a crippling disfigurement. Hard to believe I know, yet still true.

Now the monkey bars, those were the the implements truly designed to test the mettle of a third grader. You weren't anyone unless you pulled yourself to the top and walked the length like a gymnast. Five foot by ten feet of terror.

Ok enough reminiscing, the parents need to contact the ADA who should come down on the school like a ton of bricks. It would also be interesting to hear what the members of the city attorney has to say on the matter.

I just remember one more that was over the top.

A third grader shot a spitball at a fellow student. He was removed from the classroom and the police were called. The child was expelled from school for the year.

Then a few days later investigators showed up at the boy's home investigating the boy for an aggravated assault charge. They said they were there to question the child about the shooting.

They never said the outcome of the criminal charges but did say it may go to trial. And if convicted the 8 year old could spend years in a detention center for juveniles over a spitball.

This is amazing that we are allowing stuff like this to happen. what is also amazing is when police are called to a school they do not have to Miranda the minor or are they allowed to have their legal guardian present.

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

Zero tolerance is nothing but an excuse schools' use to keep from doing their jobs.

But it was brought on by parents that do not want schools disciplining their children.

Zero tolerance sounded like a good solution to the no discipline problem. the results, though, are what we see here. Expelling kids - which can and will affect their future- for BS reasons.

I'm truly amazed that people have let zero tolerance go on for this long

:wall:

Would the same school also exclude a kid because he was call Remington, KIMBERley or GUNther? What about everyone with the surname Winchester or Benelli? What about all the little Tommys running around?

For God's sake.........this is probably THE most ridiculous thing I've read since I hear the EU had banned the sale of 60 watt lightbulbs.

Even The Wife, an ardent non-gun person thinks this is frikkin' ludicrous.

I normally don't go around correcting people because I know I am pretty bad myself but this was just too tempting.

And yes the irony is palpable.

Dolomite

Man I'm just batting a thousand today, between this and the Yeager thing... Today's just not my day.

Zero Tolerance is because so many people cannot make simple decisions with out the approval of someone that is not on scene. So they fall back to zero tolerance as an excuse when they can't use common sense to do what is needed. Bad example and this is by no means any thing against our troops but like someone saying I was just following orders. (yes we know they don't have to follow an unlawful order and a totally different can of worms).

Edited by vontar

“Zero tolerance†policies are for people that don’t want to do their job (Teachers, Administrators, etc.) or it is used to force others to enforce their beliefs (taking discretion away from cops).

Or people who are not capable of making common sense decisions. This story is about as foolish as I could imagine.