windows 8 discussion

Guest nysos

Figured I would start a thread for people to talk about the new OS. Being a Microsoft partner we got access to download an ISO recently although we don't get key's to activate until the actual release.

I am installing on a test system as we speak to play around with.

Anyone else have any first hand experience. Likes/dislikes?

About the only thing I can comment on is having hyper-v on a desktop platform (I don't know if it is included in the lower versions, but it is with enterprise), and the windows to go.

To me the whole thing sucks as its not geared towards a desktop mostly for a touchscreen or tablet, I'm sticking with windows 7

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you have any hands on time with windows 8?

got the RC via my job as well. in short I hate it. in true M$ fashion though the next OS (win9 maybe?) should be the one to go nuts about; its usually every other OS release that stinks to high heaven.

Agreed. I am not hopping on the bandwagon to adopt immediately, but there are plenty of companies that are pure Microsoft shops that will transition within a matter of months of a new release. Vista brought a lot of good ideas to the table, but it was rushed to release and as a result was crap until SP2. If windows 8 is at least stable and can do everything that needs to be done, I might switch to it in 4-6 months.

TBH I am more interested to get my hands on server 2012 to play with.

I may not get any hands on. I think the business community may spit this one back out like they did Vista, but for different reasons. We still have a huge number of machines on XP.

I am thinking the retro UI would be the deal killer. Most everything else seems like positive improvements, but I have long been saying that you should be able to toggle between the retro UI and windows 8 desktop, and a classic desktop. I give it to SP1 before they implement something like that.

Been using it for a while. The metro interface looks like it was hacked on top of a standard Windows desktop. Very poorly implemented.

While I didn't find it difficult to find things in the new UI, it didn't take me long to install ClassicShell and ditch as much of the new interface as possible.

From a stability perspective it is OK. My notebook graphics GPU is a bit buggy in Win8 and occasionally causes issues. The fingerprint scanner is also not currently working. Pretty standard issues for a new Windows release.

If it really is geared toward a tablet, maybe it can be made to run fast at least (??).

7 is a bit sluggish and a bit of a hog even after tweaking it, compared to xp. I can live with the clunky and ugly interface if it will run better, just depends on performance to me. I also will not BUY it for my current PC, so it will have to wait until I buy new hardware.

Like others, I avoid every other MS release. IIRC, 3.1, good. 95: horrible. 98 good, ME horrible. XP good, vista, not as good. 7 half decent. They are due for a horrible one again....

I'm running 4 switchable desktops on this Linux laptop. I have Firefox running full-screen in this window, my email client running full-screen in another, a PDF document open full-screen in a third. If I need more desktops, I can add them. I have an app running in my bottom panel showing me the current weather.

This is free software - why can't Windows do that?

• Like 1

I'm running 4 switchable desktops on this Linux laptop. I have Firefox running full-screen in this window, my email client running full-screen in another, a PDF document open full-screen in a third. If I need more desktops, I can add them. I have an app running in my bottom panel showing me the current weather.

This is free software - why can't Windows do that?

For the same reasons that linux users cannot run many of the programs they want to use without a month of screwing with the OS to get all the right versions of the right packages to play nice together for what should have been a single download and double click. Different priorities and philosophies apply!

As I recall, by the way, there is a multiple desktop freeware package for windows. I never cared for it, I know how to mash alt+tab, but some folks like it. There is also a sweet multi-desktop on multiple monitors setup built into windows. That one I like, and its very useful. One of them had the desktops on the faces of a cube that you could rotate, for some unholy reason.

For the same reasons that linux users cannot run many of the programs they want to use without a month of screwing with the OS to get all the right versions of the right packages to play nice together for what should have been a single download and double click.

For what it's worth, modern Linux distributions have made leaps and bounds of progress in this area. Installing programs is generally not nearly as frustrating as it once was.

Are any of them ready to take on Windows or OSX in a fight for the overall desktop OS market share? Sadly, no.

If it really is geared toward a tablet, maybe it can be made to run fast at least (??).

7 is a bit sluggish and a bit of a hog even after tweaking it, compared to xp. I can live with the clunky and ugly interface if it will run better, just depends on performance to me. I also will not BUY it for my current PC, so it will have to wait until I buy new hardware.

Like others, I avoid every other MS release. IIRC, 3.1, good. 95: horrible. 98 good, ME horrible. XP good, vista, not as good. 7 half decent. They are due for a horrible one again....

windows 7 IMO is the best ms os I have used and it runs great on all the computers I ave put it on both dual,quad and single core CPU some of which have at leat 1.5gigs of ram with no issues at all, no sluggishness or anything though I do only install 7 pro

I loaded up the preview version last weekend and played with it a while, the real version will be here Friday. It’s a different interface with some “Apps†added. It appears to me that it can be set-up exactly the same as 7. The first things I had to do was figure out why there wasn’t a close box on the “appsâ€, and had to create a shutdown button on my desktop. biggrin.gif

But I haven’t seen any big changes, or anything that would bother someone that had been running 7. I don’t have a touch screen to try any of that stuff. (and don’t see the need to get one)

My Sound and Video won’t work properly on a clean install, but will on an upgrade. I’ll have to figure that out before I can switch completely.

• Administrator

As part of the Rapid Deployment Program we got ours at work and had the option of installing it on my desktop. Not a chance in hell. Tried it on a co-workers and wanted to wash with a wire brush and scalding water when I got back to my desk. Microsoft released quite the sewer pickle with this one.

:down:

windows 7 IMO is the best ms os I have used and it runs great on all the computers I ave put it on both dual,quad and single core CPU some of which have at leat 1.5gigs of ram with no issues at all, no sluggishness or anything though I do only install 7 pro

Where you notice the slowdown is when you replace it on an older machine that was running XP or something slicker. Then you can feel the overall bloat. Its not "bad" "considering" but its slower than xp OR not quite as easy to unbloat by hand, I am not sure which. It is quite stable and a decent overall product. My top complaint about 7 is minor: popups every #$%^ time you insert a usb disk. I have told it and told it to do nothing/take no action and still it pops up trying to read my files for me and guess what program I might like to open them with. Minor, but every flippin day that gets old.