What Would You Do?

bourne

[font=times new roman,times,serif]I think I know my answer, but I wanted to run this question by you fine folks to compare your counsel with what I'm thinking.[/font]

[font=times new roman,times,serif]I bought an AR earlier this year. I have been thinking about picking up an AK, which will be a bit tougher, at least for the immediate future. I also would like to procure a .308 at some point to round out my collection.[/font]

[font=times new roman,times,serif]However, given the current situation out in the big wild world, do you all think it is wise for me to (1) find an AK, (2) forget the AK and get a .308, or (3) forget both (1) and (2) and instead put any money that would be spent there towards a red dot, more ammo, etc.?[/font]

[font=times new roman,times,serif]Thanks in advance.[/font]

[i][font=times new roman,times,serif]E[/font][font='times new roman', times, serif]dit: Had to clean up inadvertent emoticon shenanigans.[/font][/i] Edited by bourne
Good to hear.

My initial reaction was "Gotta get an AK while the getting is good. " But upon thinking rationally today, I began thinking "ammo, magazines, training. . . "

Wanted to double check here to make sure I wasn't missing something.
Before I'd buy an AK and/or anything in a different caliber than your AR, I'd concentrate on ammo. Then, if funds permit, I would buy another AR in the same caliber (I'm assuming it's in 5.56) and go back to concentrating on ammo.

My next purchase, assuming funds permit, would be something dependable in 308 assuming you have the funds to have plenty of ammo for it.

I will admit a little bias here because while I respect the durability of the AK it has never been a favorite rifle of mine nor do I really like the round that much.
I think ammo and mags would be the place to start personaly. A 308 could be usefull but isn't at the top of my list by a long shot. As for the training, I don't see an EOTWAWKI scenario taking place anytime too soon and it will likely be a series of escalating issues if it were to happen at all. One of the steps involves would most likely be a high cap mag ban or other AW ban. Doubtfull there will be a ban on training classes anytime soon.
While I do think they're a fine idea, I would make sure to be well stocked before investing in one personaly. After all you actually want to be able to use your firearms training on firearms right? Even the most ignorant person in my family can use a gun on at a rudimentary level and I suspect your already much better off than that. The highest trained person in the world would most likely be forced to duck and cover in a fire fight without having something to engage the enemy.
  • Like 1
I would get a AK in 5.45x39 and train with it if funds tend to be tight, the ammo is soooo cheap for that gun so you would be able to spend alot more time shooting for alot less money than 5.56 or 308. Not to mention the AK would be a good investment to have if the government decides to get serious about banning "EVIL" rifles. Edited by ~48_South~
Eh, I think ammo and magazines are of great importance for the time being. You may even look into just enough reloading equipment for the one gun you have or would mainly use, as others have said. I mean, I'm all for more guns for everybody who deserves them, but you gotta prioritize too...
[quote name='Troutburger' timestamp='1352409176' post='842017']
Once BHO ends the import of foreign ammo 5.45x39 is likely to become rare and expensive.

I have a converted Saiga 7.62x39 and had a Wasr10. I just dont see what the big deal is about an ak. Had more jams with that wasr than any of my AR's.

I'd buy ammo and save for a 308.
[/quote]

Yeah but as of right now bulk 223/5.56 cost almost 2.5 times more than 5.45x39 ammo, for example you can get 2,160 rounds of 5.45 for $80+ less than you would pay for 1,000 rounds of 223/5.56 not to mention if you stockpile the ammo and it gets banned then you would be able to sell it off and make a nice profit. WASR's can be thrown together rather sloppy at times and it is not uncommon to find one of those guns that tend to be a lemon,all of my AK's are Arsenal's and they have functioned great with thousands of rounds put through them,not saying they are just better than a AR but they seem as though they are WAY more forgiving when it comes to neglect. Edited by ~48_South~
Just went out and bought another 2300 rounds of my favorite zombie round aka .22lr

Also have another 5 pmags on order.

Would have gotten more but just don't have it in the budget right now. Hopefully in the next few weeks I can make a buy on 223 and 762x39. Then get into another thousand 9mm before moving on to more 38s.

Then repeat, see where I'm going with this yet?
  • Like 1
Get some high quality optics and stock up on ammo. If you have a good quality AR it will be just as good if not better than an AK. I just now finally finished my AR. I also just bought 3 more PMAGS a couple days ago and plan on buying at least 7 more. I already have lots of 5.56 and I am fixing to buy another case sometime before Christmas. 5.56 rounds will go extremely quick if you ever have to use them.