Carry on the first date?

I will preface this by saying, I met my wife at a mutual friend's house where a bunch of people had gathered to do some shooting. With that said, the first date we went on, I picked her up, and before I backed my truck out of the driveway, I said something to the effect of, "I just want to let you know, I carry a gun all the time, pretty much everywhere I go. If that is a problem, we should just quit now." She later told me she appreciated that, and she was glad I carried all the time. It makes her feel safe.

If you feel strongly about carrying, there is no reason not to be up front and direct about it. Lay it out there from the word go, and there will never have to be a question about it.
  • Like 1
I told my now girlfriend of many years when we starred dating that I always carry, cited a reason or two, and asked if it would be a problem before our first date.

Honestly if carry is important to you and indeed part of you, be upfront. My unwillingness to sacrifice carrying is right up there with my unwillingness to sacrifice my moral and religious beliefs in a relationship. May as well make it known early.
  • Like 1
Thanks for all the input, everybody... I think I need to get her number first and feel things out, then go from there.

This was just a general question, but I do have a girl in mind and I have no idea what her stance is on guns...
I was out with the girl I was dating at the time and she put her arm around my waist as we were walking and she said ooooh as in glue but without the gl. I didn't tell her I was carrying because it never crossed my mind, but she sure found out and she really liked it. It all depends on the girl.
  • Like 1
Guest Gen. Patton
[quote name='glowdotGlock' timestamp='1352424116' post='842165']
I would carry. She may have a crazy jealous ex that may not be too far away. You never know...
[/quote]

I second that.
Guest Gen. Patton
[quote name='dats82' timestamp='1352428406' post='842206']
I will preface this by saying, I met my wife at a mutual friend's house where a bunch of people had gathered to do some shooting. With that said, the first date we went on, I picked her up, and before I backed my truck out of the driveway, I said something to the effect of, "I just want to let you know, I carry a gun all the time, pretty much everywhere I go. If that is a problem, we should just quit now." She later told me she appreciated that, and she was glad I carried all the time. It makes her feel safe.

If you feel strongly about carrying, there is no reason not to be up front and direct about it. Lay it out there from the word go, and there will never have to be a question about it.
[/quote]

Two things on that story....

1. That's very true about laying it on the line from the beginning.

2. Does your wife have a decent looking sister or other female relative that's single and sane and thinks the same way?
Guest D.B. Cooper

With my girlfriend, I did not carry on our first date, or our second date. I did carry on the third, but didn't show it to her. I wound up telling her about my guns on about the fourth or fifth date and even showed her one. Fast forward 10 months and now she's pretty comfortable with them and she wants to go to the range with me sometime. In fact, she's even a little excited about getting her own gun. Just a couple weeks ago, we were, um, parked out near the local municipal airport and some crappy old van (not a minivan) pulled in the parking lot and drove in behind us. I reached into my center console and pulled out my car gun, just in case. The van moved on and didn't bother us, but girlfriend was very, um.... appreciative after that because I made her feel safe. :up:

She did admit to me not too long ago that if she knew about my gun obsession on the first date, there probably wouldn't have been a second one because it would have freaked her out a little... and I quote, "... bringing a GUN, on a first date? That's just creepy." So, unless you meet your girl at the range, I would leave it at home and slowly introduce her to your "hobby".

My fiance' is happy that I carry, though I have been known to get in trouble for spending too much in ammo.

People who aren't that familiar with guns are often oblivious to the fact that we're carrying. I took a friend of mine of a motorcycle ride a while back. I was carrying an FNX-9 OWB under a t-shirt and jacket. We rode for about an hour, and I asked when I was about to leave if she had noticed it. Not that I wanted to show it off, I was just curious since she hadn't acted like she noticed. She didn't have a clue and was like "Cool! Can I see it?" People really don't have a clue.
  • 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Jon_L' timestamp='1352496405' post='842668']
Thanks for the input, all. I'll probably carry my TCP in my coat or something--or not if it's a chilly night I may want to give it to her. Glovebox? Haha, I don't know!
[/quote]
Based on the fact that I would be taking her somewhere that serves alcohol (which I would be drinking) and based on your selection for a user pic, I would say carrying a firearm would not be an option. [img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/TourGlide/Web%20Stuff/biggrin.gif[/img]
  • Like 1

[quote name='DaveTN' timestamp='1353807729' post='850232']
Based on the fact that I would be taking her somewhere that serves alcohol (which I would be drinking) and based on your selection for a user pic, I would say carrying a firearm would not be an option. [img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/TourGlide/Web%20Stuff/biggrin.gif[/img]
[/quote]

It's not important that you drink. It's REAL important that she does :)

• Like 1

[quote name='DaveTN' timestamp='1353807729' post='850232']
[/quote]

I [i]do[/i] like my Coors Light. But I know not to mix the two, obviously. :D

Edited by Jon_L