Need help with ready to pull the trigger AR15 purchase.

jport

So I have recently decided to blow the cash on an AR15. Just to get an idea of what kind of consumer I am, I like the names Sig, Colt, HK. So I was in Walmart today(lol never thought I would purchase an AR here) and couldn't take my eyes off of a Sig NATO 5.56 that they had. The clerk had NO tech knowledge for me and I was left curious, what is the twist in the barrel(:ratio). Also, is this a Sig that I could order direct? How does it compare to an LGS sig with similar specs? In other words, is this a Sig made special for Wally World? For the $ could I get more gun elsewhere for the same or less price? Ready to spend my $ today(although about to call it a night)... Quick facts would be much appreciated. Where else to snoop a deal would be more than welcome as well. Not crazy about supporting the biggest outsourcing importer in America anyway;)
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did you look at the colt 6920? There is a magpul version that is really nice. My next ar will be a Colt 6940p I just need to finish my precision rifle build (pics soon). I wouldn't worry too much about twist ratios, but just check the barrel as it should be stamped on it (it may be hidden under the handguards, so in that case you wouldn't be able to see it). I like sigs but i haven't heard too many things about the m400, but it is priced in the lower market of their ar's which is a new thing for Sig. Are you sure you don't want to save up for the Sig 516 or Sig 552 or the colt 6920?
Yeah, don't buy the hype that 1:7 is the best or better. Each has it own purpose. I have a 1:9 and shoots fine up to 62gn never tried anything heavier. If you want to shoot the heavy 70+ you should probably get a 1:7. Or as Steelharp said a 1:8 gets the middle of the spectrum. Most store bought and surplus ammo is 55 or 62gr which would be fine with a 1:9 Edited by Lumber_Jack
I am looking for a reach out and touch round. Would like to set it up with a better butt and high end scope. 70+ is a big deal for me. My ceiling is aprox $1000 before any mods or add ons. The sig is $917 at Wally right now. Would my local shop be able to offer near the same $ or at Least within $100? For that it would be worth it to avoid the beat the small guy down beast that Wally W. is.
Guest wallyiv
isnt it hard to reach out and touch around here? I got the magpul colt (i think it was the 6920) back in January. 16" barrel1:7 twist. magpul furniture. overpayed and still not unhappy with it. I was going to build but that damn colt practically gave me puppy dog eyes and we have been happy since. I don't know how you wont be happy with Sig or Colt. I trust Colt more as a company then I do Sig these days, but Sig may not entirely diserve that. I would just say avoid the bushmaster unless you can haggle with price.
[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1352779196' post='844665']
AFIK, nothing in the gun world is made special for Wally. Lots of AR's around town at real gun stores. You might want to hunt around some. The TGO vendors are a great place to start.
[/quote]

There are some models that are Wally exclusives. Like the Wally World Special 10/22. Only place you could get the long barreled version.
[quote name='Capbyrd' timestamp='1352909049' post='845466']
There are some models that are Wally exclusives. Like the Wally World Special 10/22. Only place you could get the long barreled version.
[/quote]

You probably got me there. The 10/22 line has lots of "distributor exclusives".
The Federal 100 round 9mm boxes at Wally world are also special for them. If you turn the box over there is a WM at the beginning of the UPC code. I have heard of several people having trouble with these rounds.

I don't know if all Federal Champion is like this or not, as I only shoot 9mm and .22 anymore.
[quote name='Will H' timestamp='1352916129' post='845565']The Federal 100 round 9mm boxes at Wally world are also special for them. If you turn the box over there is a WM at the beginning of the UPC code. I have heard of several people having trouble with these rounds.

I don't know if all Federal Champion is like this or not, as I only shoot 9mm and .22 anymore.[/quote]

Being a distributer exclusive is different than manufacturing specifically for Walmart. People who think the federal ammo they buy at Walmart is worse than the federal they buy at gander mtn are just crazy.

I've bought the federal .45 ammo from Walmart. Only difference is they use small primers.

The same thing goes for the guns. manufacturers don't go out if their way to make crappy versions if their guns to sell at Walmart. If the gun sucks it would suck no matter where you bought it.
I agree with Lumber Jack... it is hard to beat WM on the price of ammo and I have never had any issues with it. Companies like Sig Colt S&W are not going to sell sub par guns at WM. It is their name on the line not WM name. I like to support my local gun shops and it the price is close that is where I shop.
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest chuck66
Just holding it, not shooting it, I really like the Windham Weaponry SRC that's available at Wal-Mart. Their stuff seems very well constructed, fit and finish is excellent, and the story behind the comapany is awesome. Price and twist not being major factors, I'd go for the Colt 1st, but if I wanted 1:9 ratio or sub-$1k price, I'd look to the Windham or another variant from them. Bud's Guns has them for around the same price.

FWIW, I don't hear much positive about the Sig, but then, most of it comes from people who don't own them, which tends to be the case with most ARs. Most everyone loves their favorite brand, and everything else is inferior for whatever reason. The Sig is probably a great weapon, just not many folks with experience to relay.
[quote name='chuck66' timestamp='1354221416' post='852536']
Just holding it, not shooting it, I really like the Windham Weaponry SRC that's available at Wal-Mart. [/quote]

Have not seen a single report of disappointment on forums from folks who own any Windham model.

- OS