Felt Like A Leper Today, How About You

runco

I work in the office of a manufacturing environment, many professionals, probably close to 75 people. For a number of years, everyone knows that I am gun nut, and many seek out my opinions on gun brands, what is the best for their situation, and just my 2 cents on most anything gun related, but today I felt extremely isolated. A few tried to have provoking conversations with me about why does anyone need one of those M16 looking things, with large banana clips. Why, why, why, with strong emotion.  Several others that had just weeks ago talked to me about buying their first pistol ever, told me they had made up their mind, no guns period. If this is a reflection of the true pulse of the nation, I believe we are about to see a true Tsunami of gun law changes, I am not so sure Grandfather clauses will be available. 

Did anyone else have a similar day today?

I overheard a conversation at a local restaurant today between a customer and a server. Customer was very anti-gun and was almost run out the door by the whole room of people. He quickly finished his meal and left. Spewing something about a BB gun being enough for him and that people should just call the police. I actually kinda felt proud to be among like-minded individuals. God bless Tennessee!

• Like 5

If you have to explain, they wouldn't understand.  I'm far beyond worrying about people's opinion of me.  And no, I didn't feel like a leper.  I felt fine.

They don't really care about your views anyway, they just want to say their views, demonize you and feel superior.
  • Like 4

Did anyone else have a similar day today?

I did, exactly the same thing. The owner of our company started this morning with “Dave, what are we going to do?” and “No one needs that kind of firepower”.
He cut me off when I tried to discuss; he had his mind made up. He said he cried when he watched the news. I didn’t pursue it, it was emotional and no one was really open for discussion.

I don’t feel like a leper though. The country will have to morn. But taking away my freedoms won’t help.
  • Like 1
Guest ThePunisher
I noticed that anti- gun sentiment today watching a bunch of people buying all kinds of guns at Guns and Leather. The anti's already have their minds made up, and so do the pro- gunners. New gun owners were swayed by the CT. shooting to start buying guns before its too late, and the non-gun owners who are liberals found a good excuse to not buy guns after this incident and accuse gun owners of being crazy for owning guns.

I'm seeing it as well.  I feel like I live in a country full of sheep.  Fortunately I'm in a position where I can pretty much tell people that they are idiots and walk away.  I've already deleted several people off of my facebook that don't agree with me.

No problems here. though i have one opinionated fool i work with ( obama fan) who seems to think nobody needs a gun, call the police. Thing is, he's one of those types who says he can get  a gun without any background check. Illegal it would have to be.

But aside from him, majority of those i work with have similar views on guns. Country boys and hunters alike. All talk though.

The people I work with have no idea I'm into guns, I have no idea as to their personal views either, quite frankly I'm perfectly happy with the arrangement. Only a few non family members know I'm all that into guns and most of my extended family has no idea.
  • Like 1
Guest bkelm18

The people I work with have no idea I'm into guns, I have no idea as to their personal views either, quite frankly I'm perfectly happy with the arrangement. Only a few non family members know I'm all that into guns and most of my extended family has no idea.

Bingo. They don't need to know my business and I don't need to know theirs.

I listened from afar while two co-workers argued.  I heard "I'm liable if I let my car warm-up on a winter morning and someone steals it.  They runover and kill someone, I'm liable."  The anti-gun dork said, "And you should be."  Then the first guy said, "So, if I have guns at home, and someone breaks into my house, I am liable for what they do with my guns?"  Dork said, "You should be."  First guy then added to it.  "So, if I have my guns in a safe at home, and someone breaks into my home AND MY SAFE, I am still liable if they kill people with my guns?"  Dork said it again, "You should be."  All the while the dork kept saying he's not anti-gun. 

Considering I bought a safe just two weeks ago, that really fired me up, but I stayed glued to my seat and well, worked.

He is the same co-worker I posted about ~2 years ago.  He told me the night before while eating at a pizza place, 2-3 guys sitting together had guns on their waists.  He asked "What kind of officers were they?"  I told him they could have been permit holders opting to open carry.  What is one of the nicest people I know suddenly turned into the biggest jerk I've ever known.  He went nuts over the fact nobody should have the right to do that and try to be a hero during a robbery and shoot his precious wife or baby in the process.  I tried to tell him most permit holders' intent is to protect themselves or their own loved ones, NOT to be instant volunteer security guards. 

Anyway, one of the finest people I know loses ALL common sense when guns become the topic of discussion.  And to the point he becomes irrate.  That is what we're up against. 

Really depends on who I am talking to. If they are confrontational with a gun issue, I move the discussion on to

other aspects of the Constitution and then try to put it together, along with the 2nd Amendment. If they are of the

emotional type, I usually walk away. I make them into the leper.

A man once said "Why is it that when someone crazy commits a terrible crime with a firearm some people want to blame everyone who has a firearm that didn't do it?". 

If someone drives impaired and has a wreck that takes a life, does anybody blame everyone who drives? No!

The guilt lies with the person who committed the crime. 

If I use a firearm to protect myself or my family that doesn't mean I had anything to do with the tragedy in Connecticut.  

The guilt is with the perpetrator. 

That's what I will tell anyone who asks, like it or not. 

i spent the day letting some ww2 vets shoot a vickers and a 1919 .they had a ball i liked it too

Is there anyway I can like this post times a hundred?

I volunteer and my sons school, and good portion of those there are pro gun. So, no I didnt feel like a leper. I did have Dr appointment this morning and I was trying to sneek out before he saw me. ;) The good Dr. pulled me to the staff lounge to discuss guns, etc. After two minutes he showed me his carry gun and asked what I was carrying today. LOL 

Edited by buck1032

No problems here. though i have one opinionated fool i work with ( obama fan) who seems to think nobody needs a gun, call the police.

You mean, just like the teachers at that school had to do?

I thought there were limits to everything. Stupidity, however, appears infinite.
Most everyone I work with is a gun owner. They are also apparently poor planners. They beat a steady path to my door all morning asking what they should do.

What I wanted to say:

I told you people when the craziness ended after '08 to buy as much as you could then buy a little more... I told you I was going to learn to reload and that you could use my press and even leave your components at my house. I told you to teach everyone in your family to shoot and to have all that were eligible to get their permits.

What I did say:

yes, I think they will try a new ban. No I don't think they will get their way. And yes, it is going to be frustrating and expensive to get what can still be found. I so wanted to say I told you so but I didn't.

I used to go out for lunch every day. I used to take vacations. The only discretionary time I have taken since 08 was to attend training classes. That was the only way I knew I could get ready for what I was seeing today and this past weekend. I am blessed that I have a wife who is conservative in her daily life and is willing to support my habit.

She saw how unhappy I was in 08 and told me to make sure I learned my lesson. I did and I am about a million times better off now. I read everything I could to make informed choices and bugged the fool out of some of the members of this forum so that I could use their knowledge and experience to jump start my own.

Today it feels really good to not have a sky is falling attitude. Preparedness is comforting even if I still have a long way to go.

Mark - not even close to a leper... Edited by Mark A
  • Like 1