Price police??

Guest jrock4

I saw a mention of "price police" messaging anyone who was asking more than the "fair" price in a classifieds ad and rebuking them for greed.. So here's the question I guess.. people that are selling items that could(prbly not IMHO..) possibly be banned in the near future have more balls or are in more financial need than i am..If the markets decide that a pmag is worth $60( I personally don't think its worth that)... Why is it unethical to sell one for that? Isn't that what investment is? Buying something you think will rise in price? If I knew a gun I bought for $800 would be worth $100 the next week I wouldn't buy it prbly.. And on the other end if I knew twinkies were going to be worth $30 a box now I would have bought a truck full a month or two ago... I'm open to thoughts on either side of the issue but its something I've been thinking about.. If I lost my job and have to sell my Pmags to feed my fam or pay bills you could bet I wouldn't let em go at $8... Thoughts??

I agree with you. Supply and demand still works. Someone can ask $1000 for a Pmag if they want, but the market will determine if it is "worth" that. I'm not saying I like people buying stuff up to sell at higher prices, but that's the way it is. I hope and pray this legislation will get shot down so the stupidity can end (for a while).

Edited by Batman
In my history here I have seen more people chastised for "price policing". I have understood the policy to be you can ask anything you want. It's up to the buyer to nogatiate their best deal or not buy at all. If this policy has changed I must have missed it.
  • Like 1
My thoughts are most of us dont buy firearms, magazines or ammo for investments especially right now when the market is super inflated. We buy them to use. How would you like it if everyone decided to suddenly charge $50 for a loaf of bread or $100 for a gallon of milk or a pound of meat overnight?

Nobody wants to pay $1200 for a rifle that sold for $300 or less not that long ago

Frankly, it seems to me that what anyone sells a firearm or accessory for ($$$) is the business of only the buyer and the seller.

I can't speak for everyone but I try to see things at a fair price; when it's a firearm I use the BB as well as the MSRP and usual retail for new of the same model to help set the price.

I've never understood why some feel they need or have any business complaining about the price someone wants for something...if something is overpriced then just don't buy it...problem solved!

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 2

I don't think of this board as an "open market," like Gunbroker, Armslist, etc. I see us as a community of brethren. I personally find it shameful that any of us would try to take advantage of each other. If you wish to sell for a premium, which is absolutely your right to do so, I would want to do it outside our community.

As the old song says, "If you're gonna cheat on me, don't cheat in our home town."

Edited by Steelharp
  • Like 8
My thoughts are most of us dont buy firearms, magazines or ammo for investments especially right now when the market is super inflated. We buy them to use. How would you like it if everyone decided to suddenly charge $50 for a loaf of bread or $100 for a gallon of milk or a pound of meat overnight?

Nobody wants to pay $1200 for a rifle that sold for $300 or less not that long ago

I don't get it - unless someone is forcing you to buy it, why is their asking price a problem for you or anyone?

• Like 1

Well the people that are calling folks greedy are the ones that are mad that they did not stock up so they could make some cash. Do I feel bad about selling stuff??? No not really. I put something on gunbroker starting out at .99 cents and it gets bid up to a few $100.00 dollars, that is not my fault. I did not force anyone to buy it.. Peoples stupidly and fear mongering have ignited the market..

People also lack the understanding of how laws are made. If Obummer could use an executive order to ban semi autos why are we having all this drama about a law being made about a AWB??? You know why? the president can’t do it… You guys give him to much credit for what he can do.

Do I think semi autos will be banned? Nope… even the fact that we had a tragedy with this last shooting. Our reps in DC being of the ilk that they are, will not do anything that will jeopardize their jobs.. Yea, they did get some sort of a ban in the 90’s really did no good at all.. That’s why the bill went the way of the dinosaur.

So I think this new AWB bill will be DOA. Gun and ammo prices will come back to normal, once supply and demand balance back out.. and you will see people at the gun shows trying to sell the stuff they paid to much for..

All almost forget semi autos going NFA? That will take a major over haul that could take years. So, don’t run out and pay the inflated prices for stuff. Meanwhile I will be selling 5-Packs of p-mags at $200.00 a pop. And parts kits at $100.00 a pop. Would I try to sell stuff like this on TGO??? Heck no I am not that stupid… Gunbroker is the place to be..

Let your conscience be your guide. It is one thing to sell at fair market price. It is much different to take advantage and try to cash in on the recent tragedy for your own monetary gain. I have a very low opinion of the latter, but I suppose those who are doing it don't care what my opinions are. I have at least a hundred or so mags kicking around. When the price gouging started I had no intention of putting them up for sale to cash in. If a ban goes into effect and the fair market price rises to stupid levels, then I would sell them as such if I wanted rid of them, but what is going on right now is stupid and opportunistic.
  • Like 2

IMO ... and out of respect for fellow TGO members -- I will not price gouge on these boards.  I'll offer up fair trades (like you can see in my gear classified ad's)

I think 2-3-4x MSRP should be put up on Armslist and/or Gunbroker.  I wish we could keep TGO sanctified to a certain extent :usa:

I have sold a few things for a premium on Gunbroker, but I have also traded fairly here on these boards.

This is a brotherhood community of sorts IMO, and I hate to see any sort of price gouging on here.

just my useless :2cents:

• Like 3
[quote name="xRUSTYx" post="870624" timestamp="1356722276"]IMO ... and out of respect for fellow TGO members -- I will not price gouge on these boards.  I'll offer up fair trades (like you can see in my gear classified ad's)   I think 2-3-4x MSRP should be put up on Armslist and/or Gunbroker.  I wish we could keep TGO sanctified to a certain extent :usa:   I have sold a few things for a premium on Gunbroker, but I have also traded fairly here on these boards.   This is a brotherhood community of sorts IMO, and I hate to see any sort of price gouging on here.   just my useless :2cents:[/quote] I would absolutely do the same, as one who has given away firearms, ammo and mags to family and friends in the past. The only issue I would have would be someone buying something with he intention of flipping it for profit (which has been mentioned by members in recent weeks, and is illegal to boot). That kinda stuff is bad form and unethical, in my opinion.
  • Like 2
@ RobertNashville, they can ask what they want all day long. As others have said TGO has a sense of brotherhood and community here and as such I would rather not see members getting taken advantage of.

I responded in this thread to voice my opinion about the matter instead of thread crapping on his classified ad.
  • Like 1

I also think there won't be a ban. Stocked up... I didn't rush out and buy anything when the panic hit. I could probably make a ton of money right now, but I like my stuff. I don't want to sell anything. To each his own.

When it comes down to it, TGO has never allowed folks to crap on classified items. That's just one of the rules. They had to clean out a thread more than once last week. I have my opinion on every sale I see. Ain't my job to comment.

• Like 5

Well; I guess I'll just have to continue to not understand. :shrug:

No one is being taken advantage of...there have been times I've paid more for something than it was worth to someone else because I wanted it and was willing to do so...the sellers were not taking advantage of me because I wasn't and no on is being forced to buy anything from anyone so I simply don't see the problem.

People asking what they want for an item and someone paying what they are willing to pay is about as "free market" as you can get and I don't see why that should bother anyone.

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 2

I would suspect these "price police" are some of the same people who lowball any reasonable asking price and/or list their own items at the top of the market.  Let me be clear, I have gotten some fair prices for items I have purchased through TGO, but I have yet to lay my eyes on any firearm listed well below it's fair market value.  In fact, the common advise on this site for new sellers has been to look at GunBroker and other outlets to get a decent idea of what fair market price is for your item and price it accordingly.  If some people don't like that a P-Mag that was going for $12 a couple of months ago is now going for double or triple that today, tough luck.  I don't like it any more than anyone else, but don't expect me to not get the best price possible just to make YOU feel better.  How many times have we heard people talk about the SKS they bought for $99 a few years ago and now ask $300 plus for it today?  How about those $400 AK rifles that now go for $700 or more?  Is that greed or just doing business in the classic free market way?  I wonder, are these folks selling their own items at low prices out of the goodness of their hearts?  I seriously doubt it. 

I'm considering listing my underfolder AK with a bunch of mags and ammo to see if I can make a little bit of money and then use that for other stuff I would like to buy right now.  You darn well better believe that I'm not going to list it for what I paid for it when I can sell it for a small mint on GunBroker (although I won't ask those prices either to save me the hassle of going through GunBroker).  If people want to work a deal, great.  If they think I've asking too much, then they are free to pass.   It's not like I'm jacking up the price of food, medicine, or water, and any comparison between necessities of life like those and convenience/luxury items like an AK is disingenuous.

And yes, as someone else mentioned, this thread is revealing a lot about folks.  I think Obama would be proud of some of the anti-profiteering rhetoric going on here.  It's always interesting to see the beating that free-market ideas take when people don't like how the system works.  I don't sell stuff to help your wallet, I sell it to help mine.  If you don't like the price, don't buy it.  I heard this same rhetoric before the 1994 AWB and personally regretting not "panic buying" because I listened to all the people who said the AWB wouldn't happen.  Many of these people are the same ones that said Obama would never be re-elected.  Thanks, but I'll rely on my own judgement and if I'm wrong, too bad for me.  I find it puzzling that asking fair market price for an item is somehow dishonorable.

Incidentally, if any of you "honorable" folks have a vintage Colt Single Action Army, I'll be willing to pay you the full $34 retail price that it sold for originally.  I know that no "honorable" person would ever sell one of these for $1500 plus today and take advantage of poor buyer.

http://www.americanhandgunner.com/~hrank/ah/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/6a.jpg

Edited by East_TN_Patriot
  • Like 3
Guest bkelm18
@ RobertNashville, they can ask what they want all day long. As others have said TGO has a sense of brotherhood and community here and as such I would rather not see members getting taken advantage of.

How is anybody getting taken advantage of? Nobody is forced to buy anything. If someone wants to pay $100 for a PMAG or $2K for a $700 AR, that's their decision. Nobody held a gun to their head and told them to do it.

This is a brotherhood community of sorts IMO, and I hate to see any sort of price gouging on here.

I agree, but I also hate to see a member get ripped off. We have all seen guns get listed above retail and then another member post “That is a great price”.

The only way guns are going to sell for more than retail (other than in a panic situation like what we have now) is if the buyer is a convicted felon, someone who cannot legal buy a gun (illegal immigrant) or someone that doesn’t know the market.

I know that the buyer is responsible, but I think we should be able to comment when a member is trying to rip other members off, without getting banned. That’s just my opinion; I know the owners sets the rules, that’s just one I would like to see him reconsider.

The fact that this thread even exists shows that there are some of us that don't mind crapping in their own mess kit; and the replies show that we have some folks of honor, as well.

I didn't say that pricing in classifieds doen't help form my opinion about folks. I just hate those warning points :)

I dont "HAVE" to buy anything, I "WANT" to buy, I know what I am gona pay and not a dollar more.

The sad part of all this is  we will look down our nose at the ones that over priced something just because

they can.

As far as selling my stuff, I "WANT" what I have, I have some clear S12 mags that will go for over 80 to 90 dollars,

Good money maker for me, I just cant bring myself to sell that high when I only paid 40 dollars for them.

I have some clear S12 mags that will go for over 80 to 90 dollars,

Good money maker for me, I just cant bring myself to sell that high when I only paid 40 dollars for them.

Don't feel THAT way. I believe the point I'M trying to make, anyway, is do that on the open market, Gunbroker, etc. But, I feel our brotherhood HERE shouldn't be gouging each other.

• Like 1

Again, I have yet to see anything posted in the classifieds that I thought was just an absolute steal listed far below it's market value.  I have personally posted items for sale at very reasonable prices based on GunBroker, local retail, and online vendor pricing and almost never get full asking price.  Are these people greedy and selfish for trying to get a better deal for themselves?  I have seen people who had to sell their items due to financial hardship.  Did any of these "honorable" members of the TGO "brotherhood" step up to give them full asking price, or better yet, loan them the money outright so they could keep their firearms?  I know in many cases, the answer is no because I've been one of those folks at one point.  I desperately needed some cash and had people beat me up over the price so much that I ended up taking about $300 less than what it was worth because I needed the money. 

Edited by East_TN_Patriot
  • Like 1