why ammo?

Im just wondering, why is ammo so scarce right now? Last I heard ammo was not gonna stop being produced. I can kinda understand the run on firearms right now, with all the gouging going on, because of the possibility of a ban going into effect. Nobody's gonna ban ammo right? So why are all the stores out of stock right now, and all the gouging going on for ammo on top of the firearms. Somebody shed some light.

You are asking how a panic buying before it is banned mind works,...it is what we call in retail a "related item"

without ammo you have a $2,000.oo paperweight so in their minds 1 rifle +10 mags + 1 case of ammo = 1 purchase  quantities may vary but that is the basic formula

now why the reloaders are stocking up ..... could just be end of year shortages since the shops know complete rifles and ammo are a sure sell and components are a secondary source  basic retail again  stock your heavy selling items and let the "seasonal" go light

it is about the bottom line in my opinion

'I want one of them there ARs,...."

"OK but you know you will need ammo,magazines,case and a red dot scope..."

"I got me a $5,000.00 credit limit go ahead and add it on..."

swipes card " and have a Happy New Year sir....."

Guest bkelm18

No point in having a gun without the ammo. With the hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of firearms sold in the last few weeks, I would imagine ammo demand is up as well.

Edited by bkelm18
It seems that every time someone starts to talk about restricting gun sales, someone else says to raise the taxes on the sale of guns so no one can afford to buy one, and still someone else says just raise the taxes on ammunition so no one can afford to shoot, but let them buy all the guns they want.
I have heard several times over the last couple of weeks that the gun control crowd is wanting to impose a per round tax on ammunition. That and the fear that common ammunition (9mm,7.62x39,5.56,.223,.308,etc) could be made illegal is why there is so much hoarding of ammunition.
I don't personally believe that this will happen but ammo restrictions are on their agenda too. Edited by jb980
Guest MidTNGlock
Im just wondering, why is ammo so scarce right now? Last I heard ammo was not gonna stop being produced. I can kinda understand the run on firearms right now, with all the gouging going on, because of the possibility of a ban going into effect. Nobody's gonna ban ammo right? So why are all the stores out of stock right now, and all the gouging going on for ammo on top of the firearms. Somebody shed some light.

I think some people are just looking for any excuse to pile up a bunch of ammo. Imagine how much stuff these hoarders have to buy to have some peace of mind because it's not just ammo. Imagine how much debt they are going into putting all this on credit cards. :screwy:

I haven't bought any ammo since August. And even then, I got a pretty good deal on .22 and 5.56. I'm not hoarding, but when you get a good deal on bulk ammo and have the money, why not?

These people who are buying up all the ammo are doing it out of fear, some are exploiting the future i can see as well, but few got guns as christmas presents. My cousin got a sig AR rifle for christmas, he said his dad had to scour all over for ammo.

I think some people are just looking for any excuse to pile up a bunch of ammo. Imagine how much stuff these hoarders have to buy to have some peace of mind because it's not just ammo. Imagine how much debt they are going into putting all this on credit cards. :screwy:
I only use my Bank of America credit card for firearm related purchases. It's gets paid off every month. I enjoy using the card seeing as they are anti gun folk. Edited by JHC77
  • Like 2

Ammo and reload stuff IS going up, after the words the prez said after the school shooting, IT IS GOING UP.

The WOMAN from the left coast is wanting to limit the number of rounds you can buy at one time.

Online first, then later limit a buy from a store.

GET A HOLD OF YOUR REPS!!! Let them know how feel, be nice and firm.

I quote this at times in my e-mail to them.

"Second Amendment

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,

the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Guest Stevo2569
As much as we would all like to think we are not controlled by the media, The majority of the populas is. I think shows like walking dead, doomsday prepers and others spark ideas of needing to prepare for the future. Tack on top of that the Mian calendar, Another term under The O-man and the recent shootings. People have been stocking up the whole second half of this year making the supply deminish. Of coarse the shootings and talks of gun and ammo taxes/confiscations scared everyone into the final blow to the market. There was already a whole bunch of new gun owners this year before all this second half BS. Hopefully it all blows over and The Gov/states don't do anything rash or it'll prob get worse. On a side note the DHS, Social Security Admin and other gov dept's are buying up HP ammo by the millions. Maybe they fear the worst just like many of us do. Either way, the only people benifiting from all this chaos is the gun and ammo manufacturers/distributors/stores. Maybe they planned the whole thing to boost sales. JK

"Second Amendment

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,

the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

i think ammo is implied... i don't think our forefathers wanted us to have a gun to beat someone with and no ammo to shoot in it 

From our State Supreme Court: 

Andrews v. State, 50 Tenn. 165, 181 (1871).

"The right to keep arms, necessarily involves the right to purchase them, to keep them in a state of efficiency for use, and to purchase and provide ammunition suitable for such arms, and to keep them in repair."

• Like 1

Well there are lots of reasons, and they have been covered here. But what if "they" decided to ban manufacture of ammo, that nice Rem 700 BDL with a beatiful wood stock would not be as good a weapon as a golf club if there was no ammo. I said it a long time ago that I didn't believe "they" would even try to confiscate weapons, just keep a tight rein on the ammo. They must have heard me.

No point in having a gun without the ammo. With the hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of firearms sold in the last few weeks, I would imagine ammo demand is up as well.

If the nymber of vehicles on the road were to double or triple during the next few weeks, I'd guess the demand for gasoline would follow.

Had a friend purchase his first gun in the rush before Christmas, the night after at dinner he asked me where to buy ammo b/c the store where he had purchased the gun didn't have any. I told him I hadn't seen many places that reliably had it at the moment but I would loan him a box until he found some in stock at a reasonable price. His wife asked why he needed ammo "right now" and I explained that without ammo his new pistol was essentially a very expensive rock.  :rofl: