How much training have you sought out?

How much training have you sought out?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. How much training have you sought out?

• Family/friends taught you how to shoot.
    • NRA intro courses/ Carry permit class
    • Professionally instructed training class
    • Multiple training classes
    • Military training

How much training have you personally sought out?

Please answer honestly, the votes are not public.

I deliberately left off LEO/.mil training as the majority of that is compulsory.

Mike

Edited by Mike
I deliberately left off LEO/.mil training as the majority of that is compulsory.
Military and Police Officer training here, so I didn’t vote. I was also a member of our PD Pistol Team, that wasn’t mandatory and helped me a lot.

I had to take the TN HCP course because my LEO cert was more than 5 years old. The state requirements are a joke. If you have no experience and no friends or family to train you, you need to buy some Professional training.

By family, it was my dad from age 7 or 8 to the present, and I am 44.  Squirrel hunting, coon hunting, deer hunting, and just plinking/target shooting say a few 100+ times, over a course of a lifetime.  Does that qualify as training?

How much training have you personally sought out?

Please answer honestly, the votes are not public.

Mike

Pretty much the opposite of you :). Friends, family, NRA (when I was young). I little one-on-one stuff over the years, but very little and very basic.

I've taken 4 classes after my HCP class. One was a 3 day course that really made me fall in love with training in general. It also taught me how to practice, so my range time is fun and of value.

The other 3 classes were the same Advanced Handgun class repeated. I like to take it every 6 months to a year to stay fresh.
By family, it was my dad from age 7 or 8 to the present, and I am 44.  Squirrel hunting, coon hunting, deer hunting, and just plinking/target shooting say a few 100+ times, over a course of a lifetime.  Does that qualify as training?

If he trained you right it certainly does. thumbsup.gif  The top trainers in the country have friends and family that I’m guessing probably doesn’t pay for training.

I answered multiple before I realized you didnt want to count .mil training. I figure two years in a foreign country along with at least two+ years in some type of training environment besides discussions and walkthroughs in garrison qualified.

I answered multiple before I realized you didnt want to count .mil training. I figure two years in a foreign country along with at least two+ years in some type of training environment besides discussions and walkthroughs in garrison qualified.

I was just looking at the civilian side of things in this poll.  It was not intended to belittle or marginalize any of your service or the quality of your training and experience while you were in.  I apologize if it came across that way.

Mike

Edited by Mike

Several post-carry permit classes at Rangemaster and Range USA, all handgun; taking another handgun class in a couple weeks.  Last year I took two classes with Ronin, one pistol and one rifle.  Planning on taking Cruel Hand's rifle class in Tunica in March.  And at some point in the future I want to get my Southnarc on.  Heard great things about him.

So I average about two professional classes a year.  That should probably be more.  At home, lots o' dry fire. 

First taught rifleman-ship by my Father starting at around age 8 (he was a range officer and school rifle team member when he was in military school), then pistols began at around 10 by my Grandfather since he was a USMC Veteran and Tennessee State Trooper, Then quite a bit of time on the range in the Boy Scouts. . . I tried to seek out little more training at Camp Lejeune to follow in gramp's footsteps but the USMC MD said I wasn't fit for combat due to a prior sporting injury. :rant: Still pretty bad with a pistol (safe and reasonably accurite just not where I want to be) but I can drive tacks with my rifle at long range thanks to all my dad's hard work.(and money spent on ammo!)

I look forward to some further private pistol training in the near future, just not much spare time for it lately.  :(

Erik

The action pistol games are just that, games. But you will become much more comfortable with your firearm, drawing, and reloading. Along with moving targets and moving and shooting.
To the question, I have shot IDPA, and others for two years with one official class with Ben Stoeger(USPSA production champ).
We are trying to bring Larry Vickers in this year. I hope that works out.
  • Like 1

More than 50 would have to review the "I love me" book.

I thought I could shoot pretty well my first couple of years in the army. I was amazed at the improvement to my skills after my first class at Mid South.

I have been lucky enough to work in a field that my employers have pickup the tab for most of my training.

I learn as much if not more instructing classes as I do by taking them.

Sometimes an instructor always a student.....

• Like 1

Since making the decision to get my HCP I have averaged about 2 classes per year; usually going back and forth between handgun, rifle and shotgun as well as seminars about such things as appropriate use of deadly force, etc. and usually train at either Range Masters or at Tactical Response (although I also love Sealed Mindset as well).

I read a good article in Concealed Carry Report (put out by the USCCA) a few months ago that posed this question in terms of whether a person is actually  an "enthusiast" or simply a "collector". The author wasn't suggesting that there is anything with mostly being a collector but he was trying to make the point that people need training and should seek it out...he suggested that if a person is serious about using a firearm for his/her own defense then he/she should have at least one training certificate for every five firearms owned. :)

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 1
I've watched ALL the Magpul courses on DVD! (even the one about shooting from a helicopter) The production quality is so good its like taking the real class. I practiced their re-loads and I'm so good now I can fling a magazine accross my living room. Edited by Fitty%TACTICAL
  • Like 1
[quote name='Fitty%TACTICAL' timestamp='1357188916' post='874962']I've watched ALL the Magpul courses on DVD! (even the one about shooting from a helicopter) The production quality is so good its like taking the real class. I practiced their re-loads and I'm so good now I can fling a magazine accross my living room.[/quote] Just curious, how do you manage a speedy mag change with one arm?
Guest cardcutter
"How much training have you personally sought out?

I deliberately left off LEO/.mil training as the majority of that is compulsory."

I disagree sir. There has not been a draft in this country since the late 70s service and the training that goes with it are hardly compulsory. I purposely joined the Marines for just such reasons as their level of training. I would have liked to see that as an option in your poll.

No disrespect intended. just my two cents.

Jim

I average 1 multiday defensive hangun and 1 multi day carbine class per year. When I can scrape together the time/funds I try to add some type of a competition course in as well. I don't compete but I do like the problem solving skills that those that compete have to develop.

I've tried to add a simunition class in the last couple of years. I know it is far from the real thing but having something flying back at you has been good for me.

Mark