Private sales saturation?

knox

I wonder, and wold love some other view points...

The people who are immediately buying guns once they hit the shelves at Gun Shops - how long before they have all they want / can afford, and there is once again a balance where the casual gun hobbyist can walk in a shop and buy what they are looking for?  Surely, it can't be far off, can it?

I do understand that a lot of guns that are bought are immediately put up for auction, so that plays a part as well.  And did I hear correctly?  Are some shops having a 7 day waiting period to try to curb this practice?

From what I understand, the new Walthers are shipping / being received mid February.  And surely Glock and Smith are still manufacturing and sending out through distributors.  How long can this gun / ammo shortage last?  Won't people have all they want / can afford eventually?

Makes me wonder.

• Administrator

Anyone who buys a firearm solely for the sake of re-selling it via private sale is begging for a visit from the BATFE.  You might get away with that once or twice in a period of time (determined at their discretion) but if you flip a bunch of them you're obviously selling without a FFL and will end up facing prison time.

Frankly I hope they start dropping that hammer on people sooner than later.  It would really staunch the flow of guns out of gunshops for the sake of resale and leave some inventory for people who really want to own certain items.

• Like 6

People will be getting tax returns back soon and I think you'll see another wave of buying.

hadn't thought about that ... but you may be right. i hope you're not though. 

my thoughts are once this cools off a little bit ... some of these "panic" buyers will need the cash for other things and will start putting the guns up for private sale. 

the market will be flooded with "used" inventory, and you and i can sweep up some decent deals, once they realize we won't pay for them what they did at the gun show this month.

i guess you could call it a "gun-bubble" ... kind of like the housing one, and the tech one, ... and any other evidence where government interference drives the purchase of some sector of the economy.

just my :2cents:  

I think it also depends on the intended purpose of the guns and why they are buying.

Some are buying for personal use. Some are buying to put back for survival use. Some are buying to immediately resale ( borderline if not completely illegal). While some are buying and banking on a ban so they can sale afterwards for even bigger profits.

If production stays at the all out pace they are at now, it WILL even out but may take awhile. One example is that there are plenty of keyboard commandos who will tell you that you need all these different types of weapons that they have. Only difference is that they have had a lifetime to acquire those weapons and a new shooter worries about being able to buy them later will have to buy them all now as long as funds allow.

I believe a high majority of people who were considering buying an ARs before Sandy, now owns an AR.  At least those with good credit.  I agree, those with income tax checks who have bad credit, likely will go on a binge once more.  Others need the check to pay for the cc bills. 

Edited by Runco

I am not helping them jack the price up,  If I can get one retail I will but I am not paying a couple hundred over

Nor will I.  I could afford $1800 for an AR, but I won't pay that when they were $900 - $1400 a month or so ago.

This will continue until this ban threat is settled in one way or another. I think a lot of this is illegal gun sellers trying to make a buck off the panic. Don’t buy guns or ammunition from them.

Exactly buying trying to resell and make a buck - one of the biggest ones that has pissed me off as of late was I got the notice from Noveske that old man Geissele was making some SSF triggers and were custom engraved with John's pic etc on it and they would be sold at his table at SHOT for suggested minimum donation of $250 and he only made 100 of them.  All proceeds would go to the Noveske family $25K, Geissele donated the triggers himself and didn't make any money for the triggers or engraving etc that his shop did and there were people buying them and putting them on AR15.com and gunbroker in minutes for $500. Pathetic

Guest RevScottie
Their are lots of people who have bought ARs based purely on speculation that they will be as valued as full auto stuff is today. The AR holds little practical use for me so I still haven't purchased one. I have other guns that better suite me for defensive purpose. Only way I would buy one is for "tactical entertainment"/competition.

I'm just curious. What's a tax return?

I like that.  I for one, have not had a return of overpaid money to the government in 15+ years.  I don't like the idea of giving the government a interest free loan.  I would rather pay, then receive a check.  I know some are not that disciplined with their money, but I always have been. 

The price of a gun is not a price of fabricated metal and assembly. 1kg of a car costs about $10. 1 kg of a gun costs about $1000. The car is more sophisticated thing. We pay a lot of direct and indirect taxes buying a gun. But mostly we pay for our fear. We fear that criminals will break into a house or street punks flood our neighbourhood. We fear economy collapse, natural disaster, riot. We fear a mob will loot our business or FEMA operatives will pick our kids to concentration camp. The more we fear the more we pay. The level of fear in our society is quite high now and so the gun/ammo prices. I do not expect that the fear will go down any time soon. The price for the rifles might saturate or even go down. Because there is no need for more than 1 good rifle for one good man. The price for ammunition will stay high.

Guest ThePunisher

Because there is no need for more than 1 good rifle for one good man. The price for ammunition will stay high.

Now, you are sounding like the liberal Democrats trying to tell everyone what they need instead of what people want. This is still America, and as long as I still have liberties and freedoms to buy what I want to buy, I will continue to do so. I don't look forward to the day that I no longer have those freedoms. Edited by ThePunisher

Anyone who buys a firearm solely for the sake of re-selling it via private sale is begging for a visit from the BATFE. You might get away with that once or twice in a period of time (determined at their discretion) but if you flip a bunch of them you're obviously selling without a FFL and will end up facing prison time.

Frankly I hope they start dropping that hammer on people sooner than later. It would really staunch the flow of guns out of gunshops for the sake of resale and leave some inventory for people who really want to own certain items.

I wonder if they differentiate between selling through FFL (ie most of gunbroker sales) vs. selling to an individual at a gunshow, or armslist etc. also if going through gunbroker you would theoretically be getting market value.

I wonder if they differentiate between selling through FFL (ie most of gunbroker sales) vs. selling to an individual at a gunshow, or armslist etc. also if going through gunbroker you would theoretically be getting market value.

Two things matter to them, dealing without a license and straw purchasers; they don’t care about price, profit or market value.

To buy a gun with the intension of reselling it is a crime unless you have an FFL that allows you to legally do that. However, it’s done all the time. We know who does it locally how the local ATF cannot know is beyond me. These people cause the price of used guns to be high, allow felons to freely purchase firearms, and are part of the reason private sales will be outlawed.

Anyone who buys a firearm solely for the sake of re-selling it via private sale is begging for a visit from the BATFE.  You might get away with that once or twice in a period of time (determined at their discretion) but if you flip a bunch of them you're obviously selling without a FFL and will end up facing prison time.

Yep. Have you ever noticed that we have certain members who will sell 10-15 guns a year? Really makes me wonder who they get away with it. One of the moderators here has calmed down lately but I'm pretty sure he's sold more than anyone here.

And I guarantee the ATF has people who monitor the classifieds here.

I know a guy personally that was paid a visit by the ATF because they suspected him of selling guns without a license based on the amount of background checks he did in a year. He just bought a lot of them and traded them whenever he was tired of them. 3/4 of the guns he "sold" we're traded into gun shops. the agent whom I spoke with about a separate issue said he knew it was a waste of time but the higher ups wanted it investigated.
[quote name="orientalexpress" post="898361" timestamp="1359392682"]I know a guy personally that was paid a visit by the ATF because they suspected him of selling guns without a license based on the amount of background checks he did in a year. He just bought a lot of them and traded them whenever he was tired of them. 3/4 of the guns he "sold" we're traded into gun shops. the agent whom I spoke with about a separate issue said he knew it was a waste of time but the higher ups wanted it investigated.[/quote] How is that even true? The ATF has no access to background check records and there is a law that all information associated with background checks at NICS be destroyed within the next business day unless the background check was held up for whatever reason. Sounds like your source was not truthful.

How is that even true? The ATF has no access to background check records and there is a law that all information associated with background checks at NICS be destroyed within the next business day unless the background check was held up for whatever reason. Sounds like your source was not truthful.

Could be confused with mandatory reporting of the purchase of more than one handgun at a time.

[quote name="sigmtnman" post="898375" timestamp="1359393757"]Could be confused with mandatory reporting of the purchase of more than one handgun at a time.[/quote] FFLs are required to notify the ATF if you buy more than one pistol at a time? Is that a federal or state law?