TN Bill to remove restrictions on knife possession and carry

[quote name="DCritter" post="1112523" timestamp="1392657039"]Thanks to everyone who has called and emailed. Those emails and calls do make a difference. We are optimistic about our chances, but you can never have too many emails and calls in to members. You still have time to email today or call tomorrow. If you haven't yet done so, please DO IT!!!![/quote] Who is this we you speak of? You dont even live here Edited by Il Duce

Correct.  

For those wanting to keep up, the House Criminal Justice Subcommittee meets tomorrow at 3 pm.  You can watch at the link below.  

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/videowrapper/default.aspx?CommID=870010

Just got voted on.  Can't hear the vote in the feed they give but it did pass without much issue.  It will now move to full committee (I think).  

Senate version hasn't yet been placed on calendar.  

*Edit: Ritter said that it will go to House Finance Ways and Means next.  Regardless, still a lot of committees and votes to go! 

Edited by Capbyrd
Guest DCritter

The House Criminal Justice Subcommittee has approved HB1883 on a voice vote.  Thanks for all who emailed or called.    We'll have more to do shortly as it moves to the Full committee and then on to House Subcommittee Finance, Ways and Means.

Edited by DCritter

What? Seriously ll Duce?

I don't think you have to be a resident in order to try and help put things right.

Really. Duce doesn't get it --  Doug Ritter and KnifeRights.org are like the NRA of knife freedoms, they tilt at legislative dragons all over the US, and often slay them!

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Really. Duce doesn't get it --  Doug Ritter and KnifeRights.org are like the NRA of knife freedoms, they tilt at legislative dragons all over the US, and often slay them!

- OS

Maybe that's the problem...

Personally, I don't care for lobbyists.  I have very strong opinions about them.  And I certainly don't feel that lobbyist groups like the NRA represent my interests.  

However, in this one instance, I concede that this legislation likely wouldn't exist without KnifeRights involvement.  

Edited by Capbyrd

this legislation likely wouldn't exist without KnifeRights involvement

That's too much of an understatement.  I've been involved in the American Knife and Tool Institute and Knife Rights as well as local efforts in TN.  There is as close to zero a chance as measurable that this legislation would be conceived or moving through in TN without this specific organization being the sharp point of the spear on our rights with respect to knives.

Also, KR isn't a lobbyist organization. They're first and foremost an advocacy organization headed by a dedicated individual who with the help of a few others nationally and employing a lobbyist who is joined in common cause is working with those of us in TN to change these absurd laws that serve no more a valid purpose than the restrictions on our right to possess and carry firearms. 

Edited by hso
  • Like 1

Just got voted on.  Can't hear the vote in the feed they give but it did pass without much issue.  It will now move to full committee (I think).  

Senate version hasn't yet been placed on calendar.  

*Edit: Ritter said that it will go to House Finance Ways and Means next.  Regardless, still a lot of committees and votes to go! 

I was right the first time.  It will move to the full Criminal Justice Committee in the house.  

Senate bill has still not been placed on calendar.  

Looks like Finney isn't the only problem. I got a disheartening response from my Senator today-- From the office of Sen. Bill Ketron:

"unfortunately Senator Ketron does not feel that he can support this bill as is.  He is concerned with the issues that could be raised in terms of these knives being used in violent activities if they are allowed to become widespread.  He could be supportive of it if Sen. Bell limits the type of switchblade that is allowed to specifically hunting-style knives but unless he can do that, he does not feel that he can vote for this bill.  But thank you for contacting us regarding this bill and continue to do so regarding this bill or any other bill in the future."

Some folks just don't get it. If you are in Sen. Ketron's district, please contact him and let him know where you stand. I doubt if we can change his mindset-- his mind was probably made up the minute he first saw "West Side Story" back in the 1950's.

It looks like he's saying "Gerber= good, Stilletto= evil."  Sheesh.

BTW, the number to Senator Ketron's office is (615) 741-6853.

Edited by tartanphantom
Guest tangojuliet

hate to compromise but lets drop the switchblade and keep the length part some times we must pick and choose fights gentlemen and it seems that the switchblade part isnt gonna (excuse the pun) cut it

Looks like Finney isn't the only problem. I got a disheartening response from my Senator today-- From the office of Sen. Bill Ketron:

"unfortunately Senator Ketron does not feel that he can support this bill as is.  He is concerned with the issues that could be raised in terms of these knives being used in violent activities if they are allowed to become widespread.  He could be supportive of it if Sen. Bell limits the type of switchblade that is allowed to specifically hunting-style knives but unless he can do that, he does not feel that he can vote for this bill.  But thank you for contacting us regarding this bill and continue to do so regarding this bill or any other bill in the future."

Some folks just don't get it. If you are in Sen. Ketron's district, please contact him and let him know where you stand. I doubt if we can change his mindset-- his mind was probably made up the minute he first saw "West Side Story" back in the 1950's.

It looks like he's saying "Gerber= good, Stilletto= evil."  Sheesh.

BTW, the number to Senator Ketron's office is (615) 741-6853.

Don't these retards realize that there are a gazillion legal knives that deploy as fast as a switchblade? I have a bunch.

• Like 1

would you rather the whole of the bill die or have some of it pass 

Let the whole thing die.  If it fails it will be brought back up.  If part of it passes it might not.  Ketron and the other opposition doesn't take as much heat, organizations like Knife Rights don't have as much skin in the game to keep trying. 

Let me put it to you this way, I personally would much rather have the automatic knife portion of the bill, and don't really care about carrying something over 4".  WOuld you be happy if we just got switchblades under 4"?

Guest tangojuliet

Let the whole thing die.  If it fails it will be brought back up.  If part of it passes it might not.  Ketron and the other opposition doesn't take as much heat, organizations like Knife Rights don't have as much skin in the game to keep trying. 

Let me put it to you this way, I personally would much rather have the automatic knife portion of the bill, and don't really care about carrying something over 4".  WOuld you be happy if we just got switchblades under 4"?

the length part of the bill will more likely pass im not saying give up entirely give up on the switchblade but let it wait til next year sometimes patience is the key to victory ...

Guest gunlobbyist

I can't tell you how happy I am to see the residents in a state where I am working to repeal bad knife laws so interested and engaged in the process. As Knife Rights lobbyist I have repealed switchblade bans in six states in the past 3 years, and enacted knife preemption in 12 states. Most of the time there is very little support from the ground and I am literally facing these wolves alone. 

Having said that lets keep some things in perspective here. One senator being opposed is no reason to gut a bill of any major component. This bill passed the senate last year and I am optimistic it will again. I say "optimistic" because "confident" when talking about ANY legislative body is a fools errand. 

This bill is FAR from dying and needs your support. We have no intention of splitting these issues, we intend to get both the SWB repeal and repeal the ban on knives over 4". Truthfully even discussion of splitting the issues is nothing more than a distraction. 

I always explain to my clients that passing new legislation (or repealing bad law) is ALWAYS a roller coaster ride. You have very, very good days and very, very BAD days, often back to back. There are rarely any ho-hum days. 

So I truly welcome your interest and passion about this issue and I pray you will remain engaged in this process which is not quite halfway over with yet. Steel yourselves for the ride to come, and keep those emails and phone calls flowing in the legislators offices. There is nothing like YOUR involvement to keep a bill moving in the right direction. 

Welcome to the legislative roller coaster, keep your hands inside the vehicle at all times, and buckle up!!

Todd Rathner

Knife Rights, Director of Legislative Affairs

I get where you're coming from TJ, but I still don't agree.  Compromise is good for keeping incumbents in office, but that's about it.  Make our elected officials accountable for stupid decisions, don't let them weasel around them by only voting against the scary parts.

That being said, I don't think Sen. Ketron is a lost cause.  He's done enough in the Senate to make me believe he's a smart, reasonable guy, he just needs to be educated on this subject, and hear from his constituents. 

Edited by dcloudy777
Guest tangojuliet

I get where you're coming from TJ, but I still don't agree.  Compromise is good for keeping incumbents in office, but that's about it.  Make our elected officials accountable for stupid decisions, don't let them weasel around them by only voting against the scary parts.

That being said, I don't think Sen. Ketron is a lost cause.  He's done enough in the Senate to make me believe he's a smart, reasonable guy, he just needs to be educated on this subject, and hear from his constituents. 

true im just thinking worst case hoping for the best thought i just got a gut feeling man..........

My response to Sen. Ketron-- I hope I didn't go over the top. I Just tried to get a clarification on his objections:

"Mr. Adcock:

Thanks to both Sen. Ketron and yourself for your personal response.
Perhaps I am missing something here, but I fail to see how the simple cosmetics of a knife would affect whether or not it would/could be used in a crime. The concern appears to be over the difference between an automatic knife designed for hunting purposes, and the classic Italian-style "stilletto". Currently, there are many, many legal knives which by design can be deployed as fast as the classic "switchblade". They are no more or less prone to be used in the commission of a crime. Given the logic offered in your response, my question would then be, does Sen. Ketron feel the same way about pistols vs. revolvers? That is to say, a 38 special revolver= "OK" but a Glock= "evil'? Both are perfectly legal, both accomplish the same purpose, but their appearance is very different. The simple fact is that the current bill actually imposes a stiffer penalty for use of an automatic knife in a crime than does the current law. Has this not been taken into consideration?

I'm just trying to understand whether Sen. Ketron's position is dictated by logic, emotion, or political hubris in an election cycle. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way-- but I do understand that legislative positions and votes can be and are sometimes affected by political climate and current party leadership, regardless of constituency position.

I have supported Sen. Ketron at the ballot box in the past, and would like to continue to do so. It is my hope that Sen. Ketron will re-evaluate his current position on SB1771 and re-consider supporting this bill in its current form.

Again, thank you for your time and your response. It is VERY greatly appreciated."

I doubt that anything will change. But no response on my behalf would indicate that I was satisfied with his position.

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 3