TN Bill to remove restrictions on knife possession and carry

I always assume there's equal chance for dark at the end of the tunnel on any weapons legislation.

- OS

Which would be the nervous part. And I generally assume there is more of a chance of defeat. That way, you can't be disappointed. You are either right or you are pleasantly surprised.
  • Like 3
Guest tangojuliet

I have this Espada. Much as I like larger knives, I think I won't EDC it, though:

espada3.jpg

Folded, with a Beretta 92FS:

espada1.jpg

- OS

shoot that aint no pocket knife thats a pocket short sword O.O

And I wouldn't expect them to start AT 4 either.  They are usually a few minutes late and sometimes 30 minutes late.  

Gotta run out and about for a while (with no smart phone), I'll keep a good thought for it until I can check back here on it.

- OS

I'll post up a rundown like I did last year.

Section 1: removes "switchblade knife" from the list of prohibited "weapons" (I hate that word. No item is actually a weapon until possessed by a person intending harm)

Section 2: Removes this line from Prohibited Weapons list. "(8) Any other implement for infliction of serious bodily injury or death that has no common lawful purpose."

Section 3: Here is the current text. It basically just removes "switchblade knife." "(1) Intentionally, knowingly or recklessly sells, loans or makes a gift of a firearm or switchblade knife to a minor;"

Section 4: Current text. Again, just removes the blade length restriction. "(a)(1) A person commits an offense who carries with the intent to go armed a firearm, a knife with a blade length exceeding four inches (4''), or a club."

Section 5: Current text. This section actually adds verbiage to the current law. "(3) A violation of this subsection (d) is a Class E felony."

Section 7: Current text is as follows. "(2) A knife, even if the blade is in excess of four inches (4''); provided, that it is not a switchblade knife; or" Again, here we are just removing switchblade from the text.

Section 8: Self explanatory. Gives an effective date for if it all passes.

I hope that gives y'all a good understanding of what they are doing here. I can post up the entire TCA if necessary or you can just use this link to see the code for yourself.

http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/

Edited by Capbyrd
  • Like 1
Basically it will no longer be illegal to own and carry pretty much any kind of knife you want.

Penalties for using a knife in a crime will be increased.

Because of the pre-emption law passed last year, cities can't further restrict knife laws.

I might go buy a Protech Large Don to celebrate. A switchblade with a 4.5" blade. Edited by dcloudy777
  • Like 3
Guest DCritter

It's not done yet!  Call or EMAIL the Governor TODAY and ask him to sign SB1771.

If you live, work or travel in Tennessee, please CALL or EMAIL Governor Bill Haslam and ask him to sign SB1771.

Phone: 615-741-2001 / Email: bill.haslam@state.tn.us

Whether writing or calling, all that is necessary is to simply ask the Governor to sign SB1771. That's it, keep it short and to the point.