TN Bill to remove restrictions on knife possession and carry

Best that it's something other than a Frost product you grab there! 'Course, the real brands they sell aren't bargain priced either, so lose lose IMO.

- OS

Mostly "made in china" cheapies, I know. I keep my eyes open for sales on some of the Hen & Roosters though. I already have plenty of quality knives, but sometimes I get in the mood for a 14" knife under 20 bucks, lol. Actually, one of my KA-Bars will probably end up riding in the truck more often than not. Edited by Batman

http://www.nationaljournal.com/congress/inside-the-knife-rights-movement-20140326

Grrrrrrrr!

By James Oliphant

March 26, 2014

This week, the Tennessee General Assembly repealed the state's long-standing ban on switchblades, or, as their purveyors like to call them "automatic knives." It was one more victory for the nascent knife-rights movement, a push to legalize deadly blades that's occurring mostly out of the mainstream eye.

The bill also does away with a limit on the length of a knife—as well as preempts any city or town ordinance that regulates knives. It passed both houses overwhelmingly and likely will be signed into law by the state's Republican governor, Bill Haslam. (So watch yourself the next time you anger someone in a Nashville honky-tonk.)

If you didn't know that Tennessee, or any state for that matter, banned switchblades, or that they're now dubbed "automatic" weapons because they can be triggered with one hand by a single button on the handle, that suits the knife-rights movement just fine. They've operated a largely under-the-radar campaign in friendly red states to open up the landscape to more exotic bladed instruments.

The similarity to the gun lobby isn't accidental. The most influential organization dedicated to knife rights is patterned after the National Rifle Association, although it doesn't nearly have that group's legislative firepower. But the movement is also a recognition that, as gun advocates score victory after victory at the state level (the Georgia Legislature this week passed a bill that would allow guns to be carried in bars, schools, churches, and airports), the political environment has never been better for loosening similar restrictions on knives.

"We are really rewriting knife law in America," says Doug Ritter, the chairman of Knife Rights.

Ritter, an Arizona journalist and outdoorsman, founded Knife Rights in 2006 after he was riled by an article inThe Wall Street Journal that he felt unfairly stigmatized knives as a societal threat. "I basically had an epiphany," Ritter said. "There was not an NRA for knife owners."

Knives, especially switchblades, are in fact heavily regulated in many states and on the federal level with the Federal Switchblade Act, which bans the introduction of those "automatic" blades into interstate commerce. The federal act was passed in 1958, at the height of public fears over street toughs and juvenile delinquency, as epitomized by movies such as The Wild One and Rebel Without a Cause and musicals such as West Side Story.

The movement, Ritter says, came of age in 2009 when it beat back an attempt by the U.S. Customs Service to expand the definition of what constitutes a switchblade for importation purposes to include so-called tactical knives, small blades that can be opened with one hand, but that lack the triggering mechanism of switchblades. "Eighty percent of the knives sold in the U.S. could have been illegal," Ritter says.

The following year brought the push to pass "preemption" laws at the state level, laws that would supersede local ordinances regulating knives, as well as laws that would legalize the sale of switchblades within state lines. The effort brought successes in states such as Alaska, Kansas, and Indiana. Ritter's group also helped defeat a bid by Nevada to ban knives longer than 2 inches.

"Counting Tennessee, we've passed 13 bills in 11 states in four years," Ritter says. "That's a pretty admirable record."

The group has also filed a civil-rights suit against New York City over its efforts to regulate folding pocketknives as "gravity knives." On the federal level, it helped spur a bill sponsored last year by Rep. Matt Salmon, R-Ariz., Ritter's congressman, that would allow owners of "automatic knives" to transport them from one state to another  ithout violating federal law.

As with the NRA's lobbying efforts, much of the justification for deregulation is rooted in the Founders' and modern concepts of self-defense. Last fall, David Kopel, a well-known gun-rights advocate and Second Amendment scholar, released what was termed the first modern analysis of whether the Constitution protects knives along with guns. (It also may have been the first law-review article to quote the movie Crocodile Dundee.)

The conservative argument? The amendment refers simply to "arms," not just firearms, and knives are "arms." And also, just what do you think was on the end of those Revolutionary War-era muskets?

Ritter freely concedes that, for now, his organization, which employs just one state-level lobbyist, has confined its legislative efforts to GOP-dominated states where they're likely to receive a warm reception, but the idea, he says, is to build momentum for forays into more hostile territory. It helps that there's no organized opposition, no Brady Campaign for knives, no "knife control" movement. Liberal pundit Al Sharpton drew some conservative ire last year when he suggested regulating knives along with guns—but for the most part, progressives have been silent on the issue.

Once there's enough grassroots momentum at the state level, Ritter says, the goal will be to repeal the federal switchblade act. "It's a lot easier than to go to Congress and say, 'Why does this anachronism exist?' " he says. "The gangs from West Side Story are all dead!"

Edited by hso
  • Like 1
Guest DCritter

This year's Ultimate Steelâ„¢ Knives, Guns & More Spectacular has both Gun and Knife prizes that have been generously contributed by Knife Rights supporters. Prizes include a Custom Wilson Combat Col. Oliver North Signature 1911, Gunny's Glock G41 Gen4 and 2 Smith & Wesson Performance Center 1911s. But, that only helps the Second Front in Defense of the Second Amendmentâ„¢ if you donate to get a chance to win YOUR CHOICE of the OVER $150,000 in prizes, so please donate generously so we can raise the funds to continue to fight for our Knife Rights. Thanks! -- Doug Ritter

P.S.:  We also have a number of AUTOMATIC Knives from  Pro-Tech, Benchmade and Custom Autos as well, soon to be legal to carry in Tennessee.  :woohoo:

OVER $150,000 IN PRIZES!
WINNER'S CHOICE!
Ultimate-Steel-2014_390w.png
KNIFE RIGHTS LAUNCHES
2014 "ULTIMATE STEEL"
KNIVES, GUNS & MORE SPECTACULAR!

Over $150,000 in Incredible Prizes!
WINNER'S CHOICE - You Choose Your Prize When Drawn!*
Over 250 Prizes Valued to $6,420
You are eligible to win for as little as a $20 donation!

Knife Rights' 2014 Ultimate Steelâ„¢ Knives, Guns & More Spectacular is our largest fundraiser ever -- offering you the chance to win incredible prizes including custom knives, firearms, gear, and more - all for a donation as small as $20.

We have assembled an astounding array of some of the most unique and valuable prizes anywhere. Your donations support Knife Rights' work defending freedom, so it's a WIN-WIN for everyone when you donate!

It's WINNER'S CHOICE, so when you donate to Knife Rights you are eligible to win your choice of over $150,000 in knives, guns and more. You don't just get a chance to win; you get a chance to win the prizes you want.

Prizes include a South African Safari, a Custom Wilson Combat Col. Oliver North Signature 1911, Gunny's Glock G41, knives and a sword from the world's top Custom Knifemakers and knife companies. Over 250 prizes valued $150 - $6,420! 15 prizes valued at $2,000 or more! 42 prizes valued at $1,000 or more! No prize valued less than $150.

Custom Knife Prizes range from traditional hunting knives and slipjoint folders to the latest in tactical folders and fixed blades from renowned knifemakers including Phil Hartsfield, Todd Rexford, Johnny Stout, J.R. Cook, W.D. Pease, R.J. Martin, Gustavo Cecchini, Steven Johnson, Brad Southard, Des Horn, Bob Terzuola, Allen Elishewitz, and Kirby Lambert, to name but a few of the notable custom knifemakers.

See all the prizes at: www.KnifeRights.org/UltimateSteel

BONUS Early Bird Drawing!
Two Drawings for Those Who Donate Early
Over $25,000 in BONUS Early Bird Prizes!

Donate by May 12 and you will also be eligible for the BONUS Early Bird Drawing featuring over 100 production knives and other prizes totaling over $25,000 with individual prizes valued at $150 - $700! BONUS Early Bird Drawing Prizes include folders, fixed blades, automatic knives, multi-tools, sharpeners, pens and other prizes including: Hinderer, Benchmade, KA-BAR, ESEE, Protech, SOG, Spyderco, Boker, Victorinox, Hogue, Leatherman, Wicked Edge, Spartan, Browning, Eze-Lap and Lansky, just to drop a few names.

WINNER'S CHOICE!

Both drawings are WINNER'S CHOICE. No less than the first 50 donors drawn in EACH Drawing will get to choose their prize from all remaining prizes, in the order in which they are drawn. Not only are you helping support Knife Rights, but you could win the exact prize that you want from the over $150,000 in prizes available.

See all the prizes at: www.KnifeRights.org/UltimateSteel

ADDITIONAL BONUS Donor Premiums

Donate $100 and you will receive a FREE Knife Rights 2014 Limited Edition SOG Twitch II Assisted Opening Folder*, a $72.50 value without engraving, generously donated by SOG Specialty Knives & Tools PLUS 4 Additional FREE Entries (9 Total)!

Donate $200 and you will receive FREE a Knife Rights 2014 Limited Edition Fire Ant Red ESEE Izula Fixed Blade*, an $82 value (without engraving), donated by ESEE Knives PLUS 12 Additional FREE Entries (22 Total)!

Donate $500 and you will receive a FREE Knife Rights 2014 Limited Edition Benchmade Emissary 3.5 Folder with AXIS Assist* and Unique Laser Engraved Design by Ryan McGinnis, a $225 value (without engraving), donated by Benchmade PLUS 65 Additional FREE Entries (90 Total)!
(*while supplies last).

All donors of $60 or more will also receive a FREE Knife Rights individual membership or renewal (a $32 value)

Donations can be made online at www.KnifeRights.org/UltimateSteel
or by calling (TOLL FREE) 1-866-889-6268 or 602-476-2702
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Mountain Standard Time M-F, Please

This offer void where prohibited. *Limitations apply. Complete eligibility and rules at: www.KnifeRights.org/UltimateSteel

Edited by DCritter

Well, they're Frost owned too, but actually still made in Germany, right?

- OS

Frost acquired the H&R brand, but so far they're still made in Germany.

http://www.henandrooster.com/aboutus.aspx
"In 1983, the firm was liquidated, and the Hen & Rooster trademark and the Bertram name were acquired by James Frost of Frost Cutlery, Chattanooga, Tennessee; Howard Rabin of Star Sales, of Knoxville, Tennessee; and Hugo Schiesen of Robert Klaas, out of Solingen, Germany. After a short period of time, and prior to the retirement of Howard Rabin, Mr. James Frost bought the sole rights to the mark and distribution of all Hen & Rooster knives in the United States. Mr. Frost holds firm to the long distinguished tradition begun by Mr. Bertram; ensuring the superior craftsmanship of each Hen & Rooster knife. These pocket knives continue to be manufactured by highly skilled craftsman in Solingen, Germany. Through it's reputation of excellence, Hen & Rooster® continues carries the title of “World’s Finest Since 1845”."

I would consider anything from Frost to be money wasted that could be better used by putting it back for a better quality product.

Then don't do it.

I will say though that the last deer I gutted was with a useless Frost knife. I kept it in my backpack as a backup. Good thing because I didn't have my good knife on my belt that day (Yeah, Murphy plays games with me :) ). It did a fine job, sharpened up nice and still rides as a backup in my backpack. The buck it cleaned didn't complain at all. I have no regrets for spending that $10. YMMV

I will also say that I am not endorsing their quality. I know they are cheap, and you get what you pay for. I merely stated that the passage of this law makes me want to stop there (I pass their retail store everyday) and buy a big (over 4") cheap knife to keep in my truck (probably the toolbox).
  • Like 3

Cheap doesn't always mean low quality. I love little Rough Rider slip joints. Once you get them sharp, they hold a good edge. :)

True enough, and PRC made isn't necessarily synonymous with crummy either.

Case in point, Sanrenmu, Navy, Enlan, Ganzo, Inron. Some excellent folders from these companies even for three times their actual price.

- OS

has the governor signed off yet ??/

This is the last update of the bills status that I have seen on this thread relating to the bill:

House and senate speakers both signed on 3/27. It's on Gov desk. Just waiting now.

Governer has ten days

So......seven more days to sign? Or does the weekend not count?

Guest DCritter

This is the last update of the bills status that I have seen on this thread relating to the bill:

So......seven more days to sign? Or does the weekend not count?

Sundays do not count

Guest gunlobbyist

The way I count the guv has until April 8th to sign the bill. But it doesn't go into effect until July 1, 2014. I love the idea of a group buy of some autos. Pro_tech or Benchmade could likely do a special run if we wanted a model to commemorate this auspicious occasion. I'm thinking they would run $200 - $300 each though. 

Man I'm gonna miss working in Nashville!

Todd

The way I count the guv has until April 8th to sign the bill. But it doesn't go into effect until July 1, 2014. I love the idea of a group buy of some autos. Pro_tech or Benchmade could likely do a special run if we wanted a model to commemorate this auspicious occasion. I'm thinking they would run $200 - $300 each though. 

Man I'm gonna miss working in Nashville!

Todd

I'm down for a group buy! :up:

Honestly, I am kinda 'meh' about autos being legal (I think they should be legal but probably won't start carrying one.)  To me, the more exciting part of the bill is the removal of length restrictions.  In the past, couple of years there have been several knives that I would have liked to have considered for EDC except that they had blades longer than 4 inches.  I am not even thinking of such blades for knife fighting as I have no training in such (although I would attempt to defend myself with one if given no choice.)  I am thinking more of just a good knife to have on me for general purpose use.  I am also not necessarily talking about something with a twelve inch blade.  It is just that sometimes it seems like a blade that is around five or six inches in length would be more useful than one limited to four inches or less.  I think the Green River Dadley style knife I picked up at a historical day last year would be a good EDC knife (especially as that is what many settlers used it for) but the blade is around five inches long.

Here is the Dadley pictured with a Mora Companion:

IMG_20130919_184449_639.jpg

• Like 2

I'm with you JAB on the length issue. I prefer fixed blades for everyday use.

I like folders but there are just some uses where I trust a fixed blade more.  I guess that comes from, as a teenager, having one of my razor-sharp pocket knives close up on me while using it.  I don't think a person is meant to see their own knuckle bone.

I might not even 'carry' the longer, fixed blade on me all the time.  Sometimes but not all the time.  The ability to keep one or two in my vehicles at all times without worrying about legal trouble would be nice.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 3

Ouch... seeing that price, that hurt me deep. I suppose one must pay for excellence though. I guess in my mind it's sorta like trying to justify buying a Knights SR-25, albeit fregin SWEET.

They definitely are expensive but at least in this case, well worth it I had a Scarab made in 05 that I bought new I used that knife hard and fired it several thousand times, I ended up selling it for more than I paid for it and the buyer still uses the knife.

I now wish I would have kept all of my autos as I may be allowed to carry them soon