A Cop's Point of View

I'm not going to volunteer that I am carrying every single time.  It just depends on the situation.  I spend a good amount of time in Wilson County.  I will not be volunteering to WCSD or MJPD that I have a firearm.  Both departments are notorious for unethical traffic stops.  They will routinely lie, conduct, illegal searches, and make unwarranted accusations.  I will take my ticket and get on down the road, volunteering that you have a firearm would just be an invitation to go on a fishing expedition with these departments.

got pulled over with mine...handed my DL and HCP, just asked where it was and I told them. They said just leave it there. Other than that I had no issue and they didnt seemed concerned with me having a firearm on me. Still got a ticket though for speed, but overall was no big deal.

what few times I have been pulled over since I recieved my HCP I've handed my permit with my DL and never had anything other than a brief gun chat and been sent on my way. Once I couldn't seem to find my current insurance proof so our gun chat was a bit prolonged. After tearing every scrap of paper out of my glovebox and console he told me I was gonna be late for sunrise I should get a move on. (was speeding towards a deer stand in KY) No ticket just a deer hunting strategy session along with our gun chat that time.

I know police officers who think you have a legal requirement to notify if you are carrying.  I feel that it's none of the officer's concern whether I am carrying and I do NOT notify them, but will be cooperative and honest if they were to ask.  Being a former police officer myself, I know that it's not the permit holders that they need to worry about, but based on my own personal experiences, I know how some officers over-react at the very mention of a firearm in the vehicle.  I have personally watched officers draw their sidearm on honest people who volunteer the information trying to be helpful.  I have seen in person, and on TV, officers take a weapon screw around with it trying to make it safe, drop them and the mags, etc.  I'd rather take the risk of letting the officer get annoyed that I didn't volunteer should they ask than risk getting some walking attitude with a badge pull their gun on me or drop my $600 carry pistol on the pavement.  After spending 10 years in the profession and having students who are now in the profession, I wish I didn't feel that much distrust of police officers, but it is what it is.  

• Like 1

I know police officers who think you have a legal requirement to notify if you are carrying.  I feel that it's none of the officer's concern whether I am carrying and I do NOT notify them, but will be cooperative and honest if they were to ask.  Being a former police officer myself, I know that it's not the permit holders that they need to worry about, but based on my own personal experiences, I know how some officers over-react at the very mention of a firearm in the vehicle.  I have personally watched officers draw their sidearm on honest people who volunteer the information trying to be helpful.  I have seen in person, and on TV, officers take a weapon screw around with it trying to make it safe, drop them and the mags, etc.  I'd rather take the risk of letting the officer get annoyed that I didn't volunteer should they ask than risk getting some walking attitude with a badge pull their gun on me or drop my $600 carry pistol on the pavement.  After spending 10 years in the profession and having students who are now in the profession, I wish I didn't feel that much distrust of police officers, but it is what it is.  

This is what bothers me - handing my personal property over to someone who may or may not know how to handle it. I have no illusions that just because he wears a badge and a gun that he knows anything at all about firearms, particularly the one I paid good money for.

I believe they should be responsible if they damage my weapon, but we all know that's not reality.

This is what bothers me - handing my personal property over to someone who may or may not know how to handle it. I have no illusions that just because he wears a badge and a gun that he knows anything at all about firearms, particularly the one I paid good money for.

I believe they should be responsible if they damage my weapon, but we all know that's not reality.

I don’t know that. If they damage your weapon while simply disarming you on a traffic stop; they (The Department) are responsible. If that happened I would request a Command Officer at the scene to document the damage, if they refused I would go to the department and make a complaint.

I’m not saying that you would be happy about it, but saying a cop has no responsibility for your personal property is just wrong.

I don’t know that. If they damage your weapon while simply disarming you on a traffic stop; they (The Department) are responsible. If that happened I would request a Command Officer at the scene to document the damage, if they refused I would go to the department and make a complaint.

I’m not saying that you would be happy about it, but saying a cop has no responsibility for your personal property is just wrong.

I agree that they should be, I just have no faith that they would be.

I'm sorry, but my distrust of government extends to law enforcement. It has been my experience that the vast majority of government employees don't give a rat's hiney about the law-abiding citizen. It is very plain that many of them hold us in the same regard as they do cockroaches.

Edited by daddyo

I do not trust police officers.

Personally, with a few exceptions, I don't trust people.  I don't necessarily even mean that I think most people are purposefully out to do harm (although some are.)  I also mean that I don't trust most people not to do something stupid at the worst, possible time.  Some people happen to be police officers but that doesn't mean I trust them any more than I trust anyone else. 

Further, some people are dishonest.  Some people are just plain jerks.  Wearing a badge and a uniform doesn't preclude the possibility that the person in said uniform could be potentially dishonest and/or a jerk the same as anyone else.  A badge isn't a magic talisman which burns all the 'bad' out of a person nor does it make me automatically trust the person wearing it.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2

got pulled over with mine...handed my DL and HCP, just asked where it was and I told them. They said just leave it there. Other than that I had no issue and they didnt seemed concerned with me having a firearm on me. Still got a ticket though for speed, but overall was no big deal.

That is because the average LE Officer is smarter than the average legislator.

Agreed.

In a traffic stop keep your hands on top of the wheel. At your first chance tell the officer you have a carry permit and where the gun is, and wait for him to instruct you further. We're all trained to expect that everyone is armed until we know differently.

If I pull someone over and they tell me they have a permit, I automatically know, chances are I am dealing with a pretty decent person.

I do exactly this, I state I am armed and have a permit, then sit there and wait for instructions. Chances are, he already saw my military licence plate and combat medic sticker on my vehicle. Of course, the engine died, so it is in the scrapyard now.

It's been more than 5 years since I got my last ticket (thp doing 91 in a 70 on vietnamvet at ~4am on the way to work). I was actually pulled over about 2 months ago in the work truck at 3am for not signaling a lane change. Yeah I know right. Enforcement was out thick on c-detail that night & he told me flat out, 'make sure you're doing it all tonight because we're out pulling anybody over'. Then set me free. No b.s. I saw 3 taxis that night in the blue light showroom.

When I'm in my personal vehicle I have a laminate holder on my visor where my registration & insurance remain so I have no need to open my glove box. I got a chewing on my 1st stop many years ago for taking off my seat belt & trying to get into my glove box to have my ins/reg ready for the officer, thinking that kind of cooperation would help my plight. He rather brusquely informed me about my silhouette appearing to be scrambling to get into my glove box for what could have been a weapon & the fact that I was out of my seat belt when he walked up to the vehicle & he could have added that violation on as well. I can retrieve my wallet from my back pocket without disengaging my seatbelt and everything else is up top now. Two reasons, the first.. as highlighted above.. the second.. if I'm carrying on my hip as I usually do I don't want to have it accidentally become visible & alarm the officer just because I'm reaching over to get my ins/reg out of the glove box After he has approached so as not to create suspicion nor get a seatbelt law violation.

In my wallet window I have my HCP on top of my DL. If something goes sideways one day I may only be able to use one hand to display it to an officer and don't want to have to dig under the DL to get at it. That all being said I will only provide my DL/ins/reg to an officer in the event of a traffic stop Until such time as he indicates I need to exit the vehicle, when I will tell him "Officer I am complying with your request and am informing you that I have a valid permit for carrying a firearm which is located on my left hip and is loaded." At that point I don't care too much about him getting ramped up because little good comes from being made to exit the vehicle.

If the officer has some significant reservations about you when pulling you over and they ask for your DL/ins/reg they will run your DL or call to dispatch to run the info for warrants/stolens 10-28/30 etc. At that time they will become aware that you have a valid HCP anyways. I have seen too many recorded incidents from across the country where too many officers including older ones were abjectly ignorant of Actual firearm laws in their own jurisdiction. With THP & Metro I have higher expectations but even they have incidents of being remiss in understanding, with rural or counties I have neutral expectations for multiple reasons. 

I think my biggest current dilemma is that my passenger side window motor died like a year ago, wont roll up or down & frankly I don't feel any need to spend $50-60 for a new core when I don't carry passengers anyways. However, I do keep thinking, if I get pulled over at night depending on location there's probably a 60-80% chance he's gonna come up on that side as many of them do now. I don't want to reach over & open my passenger door.. see above.. plus I can't help but think that kinda throws my ability to refuse a search out the window(proverbially). It just seems rather rude to lower the back window though lol.

I have a lot of respect for officers but I prefer to treat it as more of a non-issue that won't require addressing unless it's plainly visible I'm carrying or vehicle exit is required. Regardless I have an NRA license plate so they should have that expectation out the gate  :doh: