MagPul Pulling up Stakes?

We will have to get a new governor first...I have been trying to get our Lt. Gov. to start wooing these people for the lat 4 years to no avail.

Yeah, Haslam really leave something to be desired. Minimal testicular fortitude.

Nothing gets my attention faster as an employer / interviewer than plagiarism.

I don't care so much about the job. I'd just like to see them move here. The mention of working for someone else was just a fanciful notion. Damned if I ever go back to work for someone other than myself.
  • Like 1
More here:

Some more good reading here: Colorado ammo magazine maker Magpul threatens to leave state over gun bill - The Denver Post

Colorado ammo magazine maker Magpul threatens to leave state over gun bill
By Kurtis Lee The Denver Post The Denver Post
Posted: DenverPost.com

Colorado's largest and most profitable manufacturer of high-capacity ammunition magazines has vowed to leave the state if lawmakers pass a measure banning the devices — a move officials with the company say could cost hundreds of jobs and upward of $85 million in potential spending this year.

Magpul's threat has Democratic lawmakers scrambling to strike a balance that remains true to their goal of limiting the number of rounds a magazine can hold without frightening off businesses.

"If we're able to stay in Colorado and manufacture a product, but law-abiding citizens of the state were unable to purchase the product, customers around the state and the nation would boycott us for remaining here," said Doug Smith, Magpul's chief operating officer. "Staying here would hurt our business."

House Bill 1224 bans individuals from possessing high-capacity ammunition magazines of more than 15 rounds — an amendment earlier in the week raised this number from 10 rounds — but allows manufacturers to stay in Colorado and produce the devices.

Mandate "burdensome"

Under the legislation, manufacturers would be required to engrave each magazine with a serial number and date upon which it was produced — something Smith called "burdensome and unnecessary."

"None of this helps protect people," said Smith, who added that only if the Democrat-sponsored bill fails to pass the legislature would the company stay in Colorado.

State Rep. Daniel Kagan, D-Cherry Hills Village, said he plans to offer an amendment Friday that seeks to soften the bill's impact on magazine makers in the state.

"It needs to be clear that manufacturers will be able to still sell and transfer these high-capacity magazines to individuals in other states, the U.S. military and law enforcement," Kagan said. "We want them (Magpul) to stay here in Colorado. It would be sad to see them leave."

State Rep. Joe Salazar, D-Thornton, agrees with Kagan and insists state lawmakers are still giving the Erie-based company an option to do business in Colorado.

"It's imperative to keep jobs here," Salazar said.

Still, neither Kagan or Salazar said they would be willing to vote against the bill banning high-capacity ammunition magazines in an effort to keep Magpul in Colorado.

"We will leave if it passes," Smith said.

State Democrats hold a 37-28 majority in the House and a 20-15 majority in the Senate, but not all Democrats are on board with the bill — nor is the party unified on other gun-control proposals.

Meanwhile, Democratic Gov. John Hickenlooper, known to be pro-business, found himself meeting with Magpul officials to discuss the party's bill Thursday.

The company this year enlisted RD Sewald, a former Hickenlooper top adviser, to lobby against bans on high-capacity magazines.

"They (lawmakers) might end up having to compromise" on the magazine bill, Hickenlooper said Thursday. He also expressed support for the effort to limit the magazines.

"Democrats are caught on the horns of a tough dilemma with this one," said Bob Loevy, a professor emeritus of political science at Colorado College. "Clearly there's going to be unintended consequences that have Democrats taking the blame for putting a small dent in the state's economy if the company does in fact leave."

Established in Colorado in 1999, Magpul says it employs more than 200 people at its manufacturing and shipping headquarters, while there are another 400 employees of subcontractors that work with the company throughout the state.

$85 million at stake

In addition to a wide array of gun-magazine products, the privately-held Magpul makes many other products, including cases for mobile phones and tactical sights for firearms. This year, the company says it expects to spend upward of $85 million in Colorado alone on employee payroll, manufacturing subcontractors, suppliers and service providers.

Smith said much of Magpul's business comes from out-of-state sales, contracts with the U.S. military, and with local and national law enforcement.

In committee testimony earlier in the week, several opponents to the measure said Democrats are being hypocritical.

"On one end they're saying we want the jobs and revenue from producing these magazines, but on the other end, they're saying, if you live in Colorado, then you can't possess one," said Lee Reedy a resident of Brighton.

Andy Molchan, director of the National Association of Federally Licensed Firearms Dealers, said Magpul is right to leave Colorado.

"It's almost like a symbolic move," Molchan said. "Why would they stay and do business in a state that doesn't allow people to have their products?"

Kurtis Lee: 303-954-1655, [email]klee@denverpost.com or twitter.com/kurtisalee

They passed the bill late last night. Once the bill is signed into law this week I guess we will see if Magpul really meant it.

Politicians are so out of touch with Americans and the Constitution that it's sickening! :down:

This definitely does not feel like the America I grew up in anymore.

I sincerely hope they leave. Quite frankly, I also don't understand why some of the gun manufacturers don't slowly remove themselves from some of the New England states. They couldn't do it all at once because of the experienced work force they have up there, but they could train a new work force in friendlier areas such as TN over time.

• Like 1

Well, for the record, west TN is the only place you can dig a foundation and not have to blast rock. This would be an ideal location and a nice change from all those mountains in CO. :)

you know when the new madrid goes y'all are the next great lake right ;-)

No, only passed House committee. Has not been voted on by either House or Senate.

- OS

Correct. I should have been more specific. But do you really think there's a chance in hell it doesn't get past the Democratic controlled house and senate and wind up signed into law by the democrat govenor? Edited by ShamGlock

I hope it passes, Magpul leaves, they lose $100mil in revenue annually and they bring their business to TN.

Only thing is, we're behind the power curve on out of state business pirating, Texas is attacking that from all angles and across the country

Correct. I should have been more specific. But do you really think there's a chance in hell it doesn't get past the Democratic controlled house and senate and wind up signed into law by the democrat govenor?

Dunno.  Nothing has yet gotten through the Dem controlled US Senate, not even close so far.

Dems know which side their districts butter the bread on, so just depends, I guess.

If Dem controlled Congress factor alone equated to firearms bans, we would have lost all of them long ago.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot