Question for Tennessee LEOs about funeral

E4 No More

So being a former MO LEO something makes me curious. On Murfreesboro Rd. today a funeral procession was coming the other way, and the traffic in my direction pulled over to the side of the road. I've seen this before and thought it odd, so I came home and looked funeral procession laws for TN on Mitchies. State law says that vehicles cannot pass a procession, or drive in between vehicles in a procession, but it says nothing about oncoming traffic pulling over to th side of the road.

So why are folks pulling over?

The law also states that the procession must stay in the right lane, but this procession was in the left lane.

In the larger towns and cities you don't see it much anymore ,but that is Southern courtesy. It never ceases to amaze city folk and yankees. In the smaller towns you will actually see people stop  and the men will exit the vehicle and uncover. In my and surronding counties the city and county police forces put at least one and sometimes multiple vehicles on funeral detail. In '97 when my Father passed away In addition to city and county officers an officer from each of two other little towns in the county came to block intersections. They knew him and thought they should come. 

• Like 1

As sort of a post script I have seen bikers shut down, dismount, stand and put their hand over their heart. In one procession I was in a good ole boy was standing beside his flat bed with ball cap over his heart and at his side sat his Border Collie. 

Last Monday at about 1545 I was east bound on central pike in Wilson county and their was an injury wreck at the road that goes south to Gladeville. Well from their to 109 three LOEs and two rescue vehicles approached headed west. I pulled over and stopped each time and almost got hit in the rear once and the third time a kid pulled out crossed a double yellow and nearly hit the ambulance to pass me.

• Like 1
I thought it was law here. Either way, I always pull over. It's normal for folks in Clarksville to do the same, although I've seen a lot of folks blow this off near the Army base, but I suppose that has something to do with all the Yankee transplants and 18 year olds with their head up their butt.
  • Like 2

Part of the same reason I'm in the Patriot Guard.     Respect.   A vet stood for me now I stand for them.        I stop for all funeral even pull over to the shoulder on a divided highway.  It's the way I was raised.

Edited by RoadKill
  • Like 3
Guest drwright6

This question came up in a Tennessee DOS training for bus drivers that I attended. The trooper doing the training told us that it isn't required or recommended to stop. He said if you do stop, make sure you pull over and out of the right of way. They don't want us (bus drivers) pulling off the side of the road and then returning into traffic. It seems like most of the funerals I encounter are on 2 lane roads and the lane gets blocked so I don't have a choice. When I do have a choice I stop like everyone else.

Part of the same reason I'm in the Patriot Guard. Respect. A vet stood for me now I stand for them. I stop for all funeral even pull over to the shoulder on a divided highway. It's the way I was raised.

I was a member of the base Color Guard in 29 Palms, so I certainly get respect for a service member. I proudly represented the Marine Corps at numerous military funerals.

I was asking about the law, but concerning respect, I was taught that respect is earned; not an entitlement. How do you know that the person who died was respectable? What if the person you are showing respect to was a murderous child molester, or even worse, someone like Barack Obama or Nancy Pelosi? Edited by SWJewellTN
  • Like 1

It is not always the person who passed you are showing respect to but the family of that person no matter what they did.

I have asked myself that question several times while at funerals of people I have had issues with but sometimes it is the family of that person I am there for.

Just my perspective on it.

• Like 1

It is not always the person who passed you are showing respect to but the family of that person no matter what they did.

I have asked myself that question several times while at funerals of people I have had issues with but sometimes it is the family of that person I am there for.

Just my perspective on it.

Exactly the reason why its done.