Yet another Walmart/ammo story

So my persistance was finally rewarded tonight. I know all the info says Walmart puts out their ammo in the morning, but I still stop by at night if I am near.  Tonight at the 100 oaks store around 7:45, I find ten boxes of federal 100 round .223.  Of course they would only let me buy three.  I asked how long it had been out, and the guy told me he put it out about thirty minutes ago.  There is no telling how many times I have stopped and looked, only to leave empty-handed.  So a liitle victory for me! 

Now off to Armslist to gouge.............NOT!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sgt. Joe

I talked to my contact at our local WM this morning and he said they were getting very small amounts in about 2-3 times a week, putting it out in the mornings and that it would not last the first hour.

The only thing in our ammo counters here is the shelves themselves.

I stopped by our WM a couple of days ago.  Bare shelves as usual.  Snotty wench behind the counter asked me what I wanted, told her 9mm.  She says "Oh we sold it already". :yuck:   I asked her how many boxes they got in, she replied THREE!  Personally, I think there's something rotten here.  I have a hard time believing that they only got three boxes total.  I'm wondering if they unpack the ammo, see what's in there, and call their buddies who come galloping in and buy it up before it hits the shelves?

So my persistance was finally rewarded tonight. I know all the info says Walmart puts out their ammo in the morning, but I still stop by at night if I am near.  Tonight at the 100 oaks store around 7:45, I find ten boxes of federal 100 round .223.  Of course they would only let me buy three.  I asked how long it had been out, and the guy told me he put it out about thirty minutes ago.  There is no telling how many times I have stopped and looked, only to leave empty-handed.  So a liitle victory for me! 

Now off to Armslist to gouge.............NOT!

What was the price on the 100 box ?
[quote name="jdw174" post="917672" timestamp="1361452871"]

I'm wondering if they unpack the ammo, see what's in there, and call their buddies who come galloping in and buy it up before it hits the shelves?[/quote

I'm sure that happens quite a bit. Edited by Randall53

I stopped by our WM a couple of days ago.  Bare shelves as usual.  Snotty wench behind the counter asked me what I wanted, told her 9mm.  She says "Oh we sold it already". :yuck:   I asked her how many boxes they got in, she replied THREE!  Personally, I think there's something rotten here.  I have a hard time believing that they only got three boxes total.  I'm wondering if they unpack the ammo, see what's in there, and call their buddies who come galloping in and buy it up before it hits the shelves?

It depends. My store got 1 box of .223 in the other day. It came in with a mix pack of assorted calibers. 3 boxes of 9mm is very possible.

It depends. My store got 1 box of .223 in the other day. It came in with a mix pack of assorted calibers. 3 boxes of 9mm is very possible.

Yeah that's what I saw too. A large box had 2 Remington .223, a few boxes of Tula .45, some .22 WMR, and a few others. Not unusual for a shipment to have just 1 box of any caliber

I was in  WallyWorld last weekend when they opened up the shipment at 8 am, the guy who had been standing in line since 7 am, got the single, only box of 22LR in the shipment.  One lousy box! 

I sometimes wonder if the government has convinced the manufacturers to slow down production for personal use if they want to keep their government contracts.

On a positive note, I stopped by a different walmart the other evening and found 3 boxes of 22 mag on the shelf and one box shoved behind the 17 caliber.  After I got the 3, I told the clerk no one would want to buy just the one, so she was nice enough to let me have the fourth also.

Seawash

I stopped by our WM a couple of days ago. Bare shelves as usual. Snotty wench behind the counter asked me what I wanted, told her 9mm. She says "Oh we sold it already". :yuck: I asked her how many boxes they got in, she replied THREE! Personally, I think there's something rotten here. I have a hard time believing that they only got three boxes total. I'm wondering if they unpack the ammo, see what's in there, and call their buddies who come galloping in and buy it up before it hits the shelves?

I was in the Walmart in Oak Ridge a few weeks ago when they opened up a Winchester Shotgun ammo box that their ammo allotment came in. It had 1 box 50 fed. 9mm, 3 box 20 Tula .223 and a few other odds and ends that I wasn't interested in. So it's possible that they only got 3 boxes of 9mm. Edited by BrasilNuts

I'm guessing they are switching things up... I know they took some calibers off line so you can't tell if its in stock or not, they actually want you to come in the store and see for yourself... and plus they are probably switching to evening to avoid the stalkers hoovering the counter early in the morning... they are just trying to get the shelves stocked back up ... 

until people stop buying for hording purposes or to resale this is going to keep going and going... 

a colleague of mine offered me 500 rounds of wolf .223 for $300 bucks and I declined... cause in October i bought that same ammo for about $116 bucks and still have it.... I just haven't been shooting at all since all this crap happened with price gouging and everyone buying ammo to resale at triple... sorry I can't do that to someone... he's not gouging me at all that just what he paid for it and offered me half what he had...

I was at a local walmart recently. Lady was getting ready to unpack a case of .380. Assistant manager came up and told her to hold 500 rounds. Another associate had requested to buy it before it hit the shelf.

I'd like to think this was a isolated incident but it makes you wonder......

Ever think those of you who buy all the available ammo coming in( even if there is a small ammount on the truck) that you are part of the problem and not just the preppers/ resellers?

If they only get in 3 boxes of one particular caliber and you buy all 3 of them you are keeping someone else who might need/like to be able to shoot?

I only buy what i need. Only limit it to one box per caliber I have. Instead of buying everything i can, I try to leave most ammo for those other customers out there. Some might be preppers/ hoarders/resellers but least there is a chance someone who needs ammo will get it.

Just my honest opinion.

I have on good authority my local wally gets hit by "professional flea marketers" which come in groups, snatch up anything they think will make them a buck, and leave the shelves bare. So for my situation I buy my allotment and if I spot someone needing some I can afford to lend a hand :) . As for the pro flea people they can pizz off !!

Ever think those of you who buy all the available ammo coming in( even if there is a small ammount on the truck) that you are part of the problem and not just the preppers/ resellers?

If they only get in 3 boxes of one particular caliber and you buy all 3 of them you are keeping someone else who might need/like to be able to shoot?

I only buy what i need. Only limit it to one box per caliber I have. Instead of buying everything i can, I try to leave most ammo for those other customers out there. Some might be preppers/ hoarders/resellers but least there is a chance someone who needs ammo will get it.

Just my honest opinion.

I don't think buying three boxes is hoarding.  I went through 2.5 boxes today for the Steel Match in Dickson........ yes, I suck that bad :)