How do you carry and why?

Guest Elvis

Guest Elvis
Hello everyone, first time poster here, I would like to ask the question, how do you carry and why?
I am new to the concealed carry game ,having only been carrying for two weeks, I use a fobus paddle holster. I find that even with my bulky glock 22, it is comfortable and hides fairly well. Now for the question of why I carry like this. I choose to carry as concealed as i can. I don't want anyone knowing I have it, but I know it's there if and when I need it. Another question I have is, would you rather see someone carrying open or concealed. There are over 400,000 licensed handgun carriers in this great state. I hardly ever see anyone carrying open, but there is the occasional John Wayne that comes walking in, if you catch my drift, that has a .45 wide open, on his side, for everyone to see. To me that almost seems a little arrogant, maybe, but its there choice. I really don't have a problem with it, however I do believe that would make you the first target in a situation. What do you guys think I would love to hear some feed back.

I carry a Ruger SR9c on my right hip at 3:00 in a Python belt slide "universal holster" that has held everything from the SR9c to a full Beretta 92fs.  I carry under the belt, outside the pants, and just cover with a shirt.

Guest drv2fst

Different carry methods for me.  With a coat or jacket on, I'll carry OWB at about 4 o'clock (HK45, HK P30).  With only an untucked shirt as cover it's usually IWB-SOB (HK P30, TP45, P9).  For deep concealment, I'll pocket carry a PM9.  On rare occasions when I am really worried about not being able to conceal on my person, I'll carry in a backpack with my computer.

Guest Elvis
I would agree tnhawk, I have a taurus millenium g2 In 9mm that I carry as well. I like the comfortability of it over my glock. I just got a smith and Wesson body guard .380 that carries very well because it is so small, but the wife kind of stole it lol.

I carry a variety of guns via a variety of holsters and methods depending on my dress, where I'm going, and what my anticipated needs may be.

Spring/Summer Church = a small .32 derringer in a simple leather pocket holster, it draws no attention even with light linen formal pants in light colors.

Winter/Fall Church =  a 2" S&W .38 airweight in a shoulder holster under my jacket.

Out of work/out on the town = one of my p229s or my p226 in either a white hat OWB holster or a crossbreed supertuck depending on shirt/pants combo.

Work = off body in a maxpedition "murse" with a Crossbreed ohai velcro holster for my sigs or my sigma depending on where I'm going so it can be left in car as required.  :down:

Additionally I occasionally carry one fo the 38s in an ankle holster as backup or in a blackhawk holster mounted in some of my vehicles. vehicle have lockboxes, some vehicles also have big sky roof racks for long guns as required.

Edited by 2.ooohhh

I carry a sig 938 in my pocket.   I have found pocket to be the only comfortable carry for a desk jockey, IWB in the front clangs the desk, IWB in the back causes problems with the chair, OWB is frowned upon at work, etc.   The sig is small enough for pocket duty and has a good trigger and ambi safety so I can carry it left handed.   I also have a dayplanner that has a concealed carry section which is useful from time to time.  

I usually carry a either G19 or Para LDA CCO both in Bladetech kydex OWB.  When I pocket carry, I carry the G19 in a pocket holster that has good trigger coverage.  Don't want to 'Glockass'...or, actually 'Glockberries' myself, so that mode does warrant care.  I'm interested in getting either the King Tuc or another tuckable for the Glock, though.

Prefer this, 13+1 9mm in rock solid compact package IWB.

tt1.jpg

But since I need best concealment several times a week, have mostly gotten in habit of doing this in pocket, 6+1 9mm with 6 round extra.

Kahr-Stellar.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Most of the time I pocket carry a P3AT because its easy, convenient, and functionally invisible.  Occasionally I carry my PT145 IWB in a crossbreed supertuck.  I should carry it more often and have been considering a leather OWB holster for it.  On rare occasions I carry my wife's S&W 9mm in a Galco OWB leather holster.  Also on rare occasions, I'll carry my PT145 in my 5.11 "murse".  Mostly I depends on what else I have to carry.

When I can where a jacket, Officer style 1911 in a Blackhawk Serpa paddle.

When it's tshirt whether I have been carrying a LCP in a pocket holster in my back pocket.

I'm still new to carrying so still figuring it out. I googled this before and found a lot of good threads on this subject and opinions/techniques abound:-)
Guest Wildogre

Normally left side at 7 oclock IWB in an Old Faithful (Crossbreed type). That works for me year round as long as I am wearing jeans or something like that. I find a tshirt will cover even a 92 with only minimal printing. Summertime shorts it is P3AT in a clip on Blackhawk IWB, at least right now still looking at options.

I also normally carry an extra mag in my right back pocket next to my bill fold for whatever I have with me. The exception is when I am just out walking the dog in the neighborhood. 

Lately for me it's been a M&P9c carried OWB at 4:00 in a Black Dog Concealment kydex pancake holster with a double mag carrier opposite, all riding on a 1-1/2" Bullhide belt, all covered with an untucked shirt.

No worries for me.

I carry a Glock 23 in a crossbreed holster at 4:00 with shirt outside. I find crossbreed to be comfortable and if need be can tuck shirt over it and still be concealed. another good face about crossbreed is you can try for 2 weeks if you don't like it just send it back. I doubt many get sent back though.

If I'm wearing a jacket, I carry whatever strikes my fancy at the time, in a belt holster; strong side. If not, I carry a Ruger LCP or Smith and Wesson 642 strong side in my front pocket, because that is the easiest and most comfortable way to conceal carry for me.

Guest Joshua__423

Like most replies with a jacket I carry outside the waste. Otherwise its inside for my Glock 36. I have the pocket holster that came with my crimson trace on a lcp that i carry for more low key times

http://www.hiddenhybridholsters.com/HHH-C1-HHH-C1.htm

This is the holster I bought for my 36 so I didnt have to but 2 different ones. Its been great so far and is hand made in the USA

Guest 270win

I generally pocket carry a hammerless revolver either in my pants pocket or jacket pocket.  If you are somewhere pumping gas you can stand with your hands in your pockets and look normal but you have your hand on your handgun for a faster draw.  Walking downtown or in a parking garage same thing.  No one knows it is there and hides well.  The faster the draw the better.  Hammerless revolvers do not snag and have enough grip for a solid draw.  The shape of a Smith and Wesson 642 does not look like a gun when concealed compared to an auto pistol that most people identify now.  I've carried mine to baseball games, concerts, plays downtown and no one knew.  If I can't pocket carry, I will use an ankle holster in case I am not wearing a jacket or slacks with decent pockets for a gun.  Ankle carry is good for in the car but walking is not that great because your draw is slower.  Ankle carry is good for conferences or church where you have to be dressed up and kind of assume you are at a reasonably safe place, but you may put your gun in your pocket in a bathroom stall on the way out to have quicker access.